R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater is hot, heater is off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water is hot, heater is off
    Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:14pm
Ok so I’m in my driveway, hoping to leave on our first trip with our new r-pod.

Before now, had it on a seasonal site, using the “city water” connection. We had cold and hot water at all the faucets.

For this weekend we are on a site with electric but no water hookup. I’ve had the trailer in my driveway this week plugged in to my house electric while we did a few little comfort things (blu ray player, shelves, etc). So I ran a hose out to the potable water fill, and ran it until it seemed to be overflowing. Then I turned on the water pump and turned on the faucets.

At NO time did I turn on the switch for the water heater.

All I’m getting out of every faucet is air. I turned on the kitchen, bathroom, shower, all spit air. I did this for a LONG time just to make sure it’s not air in the system. There’s no water getting to the faucets.

So I hooked my hose from my house to the city water connection just to see if that still works. After a couple of seconds, I started getting water from all the faucets.

Then came the kicker and this scares me: I GET HOT WATER FROM THE HOT WATER TAPS. The water heater is not on and hasn’t been on!!! Does it work on electric or something with no control? I can’t figure out how there could possibly be hot water.

So I have two questions. First, why does my city water work, but I can’t use my fresh water tank?

And second, why is there hot water when I have not turned on the switch for the water heater?

Thanks in advance for saving my weekend!!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
The water heater does have an electric mode controlled by the CB and outside switch. The water in the water pump mode can take some time prime, will never prime if the antifreeze port is open. City water will purge system faster and has nothing to do with water pump.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
IronStinky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
This antifreeze port you speak of. Can you describe what it looks like and what position it’s supposed to be in? I’m guessing it’s under the bed, I was screwing around in that area when de winterizing. Did I just pump 30 gallons of water on the floor under my bed? I’m going to shoot my RV dealer in the face. Their stupid walk through covered NONE of this.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm
The port should be on a valve off your water pump with a hose to attach antifreeze source to. Just close the valve and it should allow your WP to prime. It doesn't pump water anywhere, it siphons. It will prevent your WP from priming if open. It works ICW the water heater bypass to stop us from pumping 6 gals of antifreeze into the WH when winterizing. It is connected by hose to your WP not the WH.
Mike Carter
2015 178
IronStinky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
Ok I think I got it. The two valves on the hw heater were correct, the third was wrong. So next time my city water works but my tank water doesn’t, I’ll know why. Thanks! My wife thinks I’m smart now.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
You are smart, like the rest of us, takes time to learn things. Doesn't answer how you got hot water, but I think you had a full WH and your switches were on.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:19pm
It sounds like your syphon hose is open to me too. Mine is located under the sink. just close it and you should be good.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
MikeVagg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply