R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCO/Propane Detector Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO/Propane Detector Alarm
    Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
We took our 2018 Model 180 out for three nights last weekend starting with a fully charged battery. At the campground, we turned on the water heater (we thought it ran on gas), started the fridge on gas mode, and turned on the water pump. We tried the heater when it got cold that night, but apparently haven’t burned off all the oils & dust, so the smoke alarm went off and we turned the heater off.

The next morning, the battery indicator on the control panel said the battery was on “E”. I was surprised that the battery died so quickly. It lasted fine on our first two trips. We turned off all electrical devices to conserve power and connected the power cable to our tow vehicle, but the interior lights kept getting dimmer. Even running the engine in our tow vehicle didn’t seem to charge the battery enough to make a difference.

By our 3rd night, we had no interior lights at all. After we were asleep, the CO/propane detector went off. We hit the reset button, but it went off again. I shut the gas off, burned the gas left in the lines, and opened windows, but the detector kept going off. I finally disconnected the battery so we could get some sleep.

I’m hoping someone can answer my questions:
1.     An ideas why the battery died so quickly this time?
2.     Would the loss of power affect the CO/propane detector? (We’re pretty sure there was no CO or propane problems inside the trailer.

Thanks.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
Answers to both are yes.

The battery is not charging. The alarm is going off because battery is low. Concerns me you hooked TV to battery and no charge. You can put a battery charger on battery and see if you have 12V accessories. Also have you confirmed your TV does in fact charge the battery? You can check that with a DVM at your 7 pin connector on the TV.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
BH&MH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm
Yes, the TV does charge the battery, at least when we're on the highway. After leaving the campground, we stopped after about 90 minutes into a 3-hour drive and the control panel showed the battery level at 2/3.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:41pm
Sounds like something is running on 12v that shouldn't be.Are you sure the HWH and refridge  are not on 12v?  Do you have a digital voltmeter?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm
OK, good news. So next issue is to figure out what is draining battery so quickly in your estimation. Any and all 12V uses to include fridge on gas (control board) could be culprit. The alarm is not the issue, it's reacting to low 12V.
Mike Carter
2015 178
BH&MH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
No, I'm not sure what is running on 12V. The flame symbol was lit up on the fridge. It looks like my next step is to get a digital voltmeter and learn how and where to use it.

Thanks.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:54pm
Good idea. That flame symbol is powered by 12V.
Mike Carter
2015 178
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:54pm
Amazon has this amazing book - 12 volt bible for boats.  Also applies to RV's.  You will be enlightened about 12v electricity.  I installed a digital voltmeter on the wall by the factory one.  At the touch of a button, I know fairly precisely where the battery is in its discharge cycle.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:56pm
+1 to meter, I can see here I am at across all 3 stages of charge and discharge.
Mike Carter
2015 178
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 3:18pm
Just a couple of notes:
The hot HWH only use 12 volt for control only it is unlikely that is enough to kill your battery.
To be sure your TV is charging your battery the battery gauge must show 4 lights when you push the button if the TV is hooked up and running. The 4 lights does not tell that the battery is charged it simply tells you that the system voltage is high enough to charge the battery. I have a gut feeling that your TV is not charging the battery but I have been wrong before. Good Luck. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>