Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSUV Tow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUV Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
So I am looking at the Hyundai Santa Fe new, a 2015 Grand Cherokee with a V6, and a 2016 Ford Explorer with the ecoboost V6. The Ford has the most horsepower and torque, the Jeep has the highest tow rating at 7200, but I really like the Hyundai the best. Any thoughts on my choices? Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
Rpod 180 2018
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 3:07pm
I didn't look at the Jeep, as I am fairly negative on FCA for the last year or two.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and the Ford Explorer are real similar in most respects. Similar power and such. The Explorer is a little bit bigger in most dimensions, and also has significantly more cargo room. The Explorer also is better across the board as far as crash and safety ratings are concerned. I think the Santa Fe looks a bit spiffier, but I'd give the nod to the Explorer as far as specs and ratings go.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:09am
I have to chime in as a Santa Fe fan, we looked for ours specifically because our lifestyle would not accommodate a truckso we needed an SUV. The Santa Fe is rated to pull 5000lbs but will need a WD hitch. Pulls our 179  beautifully, I have pulled up large hills on I80 in Iowa and could maintain 65mph if I wished. I'm convinced it would do a little better than just ok in the mountains but not truck like.

Though I would highly recommend the Santa Fe with it's new great powertrain warranty you should consider the Ford, despite whatever horsepower rating it may have it will have exceptional torque which is a better measure of how it will pull. The Ecoboost engines pull much like a diesel, if mountains are in your future the Ford may be a better option. I'd compare cost, and warranty coverage.
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
LuvToCamp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by dr2428

I have to chime in as a Santa Fe fan, we looked for ours specifically because our lifestyle would not accommodate a truckso we needed an SUV. The Santa Fe is rated to pull 5000lbs but will need a WD hitch. Pulls our 179  beautifully, I have pulled up large hills on I80 in Iowa and could maintain 65mph if I wished. I'm convinced it would do a little better than just ok in the mountains but not truck like.

Though I would highly recommend the Santa Fe with it's new great powertrain warranty you should consider the Ford, despite whatever horsepower rating it may have it will have exceptional torque which is a better measure of how it will pull. The Ecoboost engines pull much like a diesel, if mountains are in your future the Ford may be a better option. I'd compare cost, and warranty coverage.

Thank you for responding! The Santa Fe is my favorite I was just worried about it going through the mountains and didn’t want to be creeping uphill at 30mph. We also looked at a Nissan Pathfinder today; I was intriqued since it is rated to tow 6000# it may be a better option to have more wiggle room (but I really like the Santa Fe, the best = )). 

Rpod 180 2018
LuvToCamp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by dr2428

Thank you for responding! The Santa Fe is my favorite but I was worried about it going through the mountains. We looked at a Nissan Pathfinder today since it is rated to tow a bit higher #6000; I am wondering if having more wiggle room over the 3800# of the 178 is a good idea? But really, the Santa Fe is my favorite. 
Rpod 180 2018
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:02pm
Just to add to the mix, we tow with a Santa Fe XL (the 7 seater, not the smaller Santa Fe Sport), with the 3.3l v6 and it pulls the 178 well, 

It will need the weight distribution hitch tho

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
LuvToCamp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Kup-Pod

Just to add to the mix, we tow with a Santa Fe XL (the 7 seater, not the smaller Santa Fe Sport), with the 3.3l v6 and it pulls the 178 well, 
It will need the weight distribution hitch tho

Thank you!!!
Rpod 180 2018
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:52pm
"I am wondering if having more wiggle room over the 3800# of the 178 is a good idea? "

I have never heard anyone say they wished they had less capacity.  My F150 had the heavy duty tow package that allows me to tow over 11,000 pounds.  it gets 14 mpg if I keep it under 65, not a hint of sway, and is quiet and comfortable.  It is much harder to parallel park than my Smart car, but the Smart doesn't pull the Pod as well.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sariian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:55am
I tow a 176T with a 2017 Pilot, 9 speed.  I think its a good compromise between a tow vehicle and an every day driver (I have no use for a pickup truck).  Its rated for 5000lbs and like with any vehicle this size you will want a WDH for towing an Rpod.  Will be heading out in a couple weeks on a 4000km journey with the family of 4 and 4 bikes on the roof.  I do this all the time but longest trip so far had been 1000km round trip.
Ian
2018 RPod 176T
2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Anderson WDH
Sudbury, Ontario
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Sariian

Its rated for 5000lbs and like with any vehicle this size you will want a WDH for towing an Rpod. 

Please explain this. 

I have a 4500 # rated tow vehicle and often get along just fine without even a sway control, but do put it on IF there is some side-wind or twisty parts on the road.

Personally, with r-pods and a reasonable tow vehicle, I believe a wdh is not necessary, but that's just me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>