FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSUV Tow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUV Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Sariian

I tow a 176T with a 2017 Pilot, 9 speed.  I think its a good compromise between a tow vehicle and an every day driver (I have no use for a pickup truck).  Its rated for 5000lbs and like with any vehicle this size you will want a WDH for towing an Rpod.  Will be heading out in a couple weeks on a 4000km journey with the family of 4 and 4 bikes on the roof.  I do this all the time but longest trip so far had been 1000km round trip.

Several vehicles fall into that category: Toyota Highlander (our TV), Nissan Pathfinder, Chevy Traverse, and Ford Explorer to name a few. Then you have the ones that are a step up from that, but still good MPG for everyday use (e.g. Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee).
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Originally posted by Sariian

Its rated for 5000lbs and like with any vehicle this size you will want a WDH for towing an Rpod. 

Please explain this. 

I have a 4500 # rated tow vehicle and often get along just fine without even a sway control, but do put it on IF there is some side-wind or twisty parts on the road.

Personally, with r-pods and a reasonable tow vehicle, I believe a wdh is not necessary, but that's just me.

You're not wrong. The right tow vehicle and the R-Pod loaded correctly, the WD Hitch isn't necessary.  I towed for almost 4 years without a WD hitch, and had zero towing issues. But I installed the Andersen WD hitch to reduce porpoising (bounce) and a good towing experience got a lot better. It was worth it for me. I towed the Pod almost 2000 miles a year. This year will be even more.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234