R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest vehicle to pull with

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best vehicle to pull with
    Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:17am
We are new owners.  Our old Toyota truck has trouble pulling the pod uphill and that is where I want to go.  What, in your opinions, would be the smallest SUV or truck I could have that would pull the pod comfortably??  I am getting push back from my guy.  He isn't sure at this point that he wants to pull a trailer and I want to be able to keep it even if I have to go on my own or with girlfriends. HELP!!
River Waters
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:23am
Would recommend getting an SUV with at least 4500 lb towing capacity.  We used a Jeep Cherokee with the towing package and it was great taking it over mountains.  Plenty to power and small enough to handle around town when not pulling a trailer.  Now we have a RAM truck and although its great pulling a 4800 lb trailer its too big to park on urban streets
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:30am
Agree with Richand Cindy above; at least 4500 lb tow capacity.  That being said, 2 of the 3 vehicles I have towed my 177 (2400 lb empty) with are: '08 Explorer and '13 Explorer.  Both can tow 5000 lbs.  Only have used a sway bar (no wdh) to haul with, have been in the Rockies 4x with these vehicles, no issues or problems towing.

I am not saying this is the Best vehicle to tow with, but it does work for the 177 and my driving style, which is speed limit or a bit below, after all, I am not in a hurry and want to enjoy the roses along the journey.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 12:08pm
Kwaters,

Not sure if you are looking for new or used. I am a truck guy. I like the crew cab and bed availability versus a SUV. Also the longer wheelbase. I tow with a 2016 Chevy Colorado L71, V6, crew cab and a 2006 Silverado K1500, V8, 4WD. One is a 30 plus grand new truck, the other is a 12 grand used truck. Just in trucks you have so many choices. Both are over 6K in towing capacity. Both easily tow a Pod. I do not have a WDH, sway bar only. The scope of whats available is huge in trucks and SUVs. Ford and Dodge also make very good tow vehicles as well as some of the foreign makes.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 12:19pm
We really like our F-150. Never a worry. Lots of power to climb mountains; even over 10,000 feet elevation. It weighs more than 2,000 lbs more than the R-pod, so we never have the "tail wagging the dog". The only downside is the size; it's over 20 feet long, and we have to phone ahead to make a U-turn.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by kwaters

We are new owners.  Our old Toyota truck has trouble pulling the pod uphill and that is where I want to go.  What, in your opinions, would be the smallest SUV or truck I could have that would pull the pod comfortably??  I am getting push back from my guy.  He isn't sure at this point that he wants to pull a trailer and I want to be able to keep it even if I have to go on my own or with girlfriends. HELP!!
Tacoma? Tundra? Trouble pulling uphill defined as what? Keeping 65 to 70 mph? Headwind also? So many factors that are not known.

We tow with a Nissan Frontier which is similar to the Tacoma. Ours is a 4L V6. What engine is in your truck? What speed are you trying to maintain going uphill? The only time I have problems are if I get stuck behind a tractor-trailer and have to slow down because I can't pass. Then it is slow going to try to gain speed back once I can pass. The engine makes its strongest torque (the ability to apply the horsepower to the ground) at higher engine RPMs. Putting your truck in a tow/haul mode (if available) or turning off overdrive (my option in the Frontier) helps. Deciding that I don't have to be the first one up the hill also helps. As long as you can maintain an adequate speed up the hill (greater than 45 mph), you are probably okay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 2:34pm
I like my 4.0 Tacoma. Plenty of power to to the pod at a comfortable speed
DenisP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:30pm
I have a 2013 Tundra with a 5.7L with tow package and have no problem pulling our 171.  Hardly know it is there except for the steepest grades.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
rawellman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:43am
Tow Vehicles ?

Anyone towing with a latest model Chrysler Pacifica of most recent Honda Odyssey  ?

I have been towing my 2013 R-177 with my 14 yo, 210 k miles Toyota Sienna but it's time to buy something new. I don't want a truck or an SUV, SUVs don't have the storage space a van does. My Sienna has 225 hp and works hard to pull the Pod and mileage is horrific, 9-10 mpg but I can live with that while towing because when not towing the Sienna gets 24 mpg on the highway.

Given my preference to avoid trucks and SUVs what suggestions does anyone have?

Ron

Midland, MI
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:48am
Greetings

Just make sure whatever you buy has at least a 4500 pound tow rating,  the longer the wheel base the better.

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>