R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed!@#$$% ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: !@#$$% ?
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:59am
i have about 15 gallons in the black tank, forgot to dump, and probably wont be going out for another month.  anyone ever drain in a bucket and dump in home toilet?  stupid idea and just let it be or go for it?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:14am
Could be interesting. Video and post outcome. Nuke
Michael
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:44am
hogone,

I have cleaned a black tank at home and did use a bucket and an old strainer, the main thing I got was TP. There was an old post on here about an owner who drained it on his large property, but I wouldn't recommend that. If you have sewer access, like a clean out you can also dump it there. I have a septic, so that is not an option.

We have several RV parks in the area, that I'm sure for a fee would let me dump, may want to check into that.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:50am
i just dont feel like hooking up and dumping!!  closest place is probably 30 miles.  gonna give it a shot.  i may be halting quickly though!!  report to come.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:50am
If you are using a biological tank treatment like TankTech's Rx, Unique Products' Digest-It or other similar treatment, just let it be until you go out again. It won't hurt a thing. In fact, that is what TankTech's recommends.

Otherwise, are you on a septic tank or on city sewer? If on city sewer and you have access to a 3" drain (may be a pipe sticking up with a white screw-in cap), you could just get sufficient drain hose to reach and dump there. I have two drain fittings in my yard. One is near the foundation and the other is out near the property line. I verified that it is the drain by flushing the toilet inside and observing to see if the water flow reflected that flush. Once I was sure it was indeed a sewage pipe and not a storm drain, I went ahead and just use that instead of searching out a dump station. After all, I am already paying for water and sewage every month.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:09am
I didnt think we used it that much, only got 5+ gallons out.  gauge must be stuck as it reads still at half.  I know there not all that worthy!!  gonna go hook up black tank flush.  stay tuned.  and it really wasnt as bad as i thought.  Dead  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:17am
I've drained the tank several times with a 5 gal. bucket and dumping it out in a toilet.  It makes the bathroom smell pretty badly so I always turn the vent van on and clean up throughly afterward.  

BUT, our situation is a little different from what you describe.  Our tank has never been anywhere near full, always less than 5 gallons; and, it contains no solid waste, no paper or #2.

With my first boat, I had a porta-potty that I regularly dumped in a toilet, but it only held about 4 gallons and had handles and a smaller dump port so it was easier to deal with than a plain old bucket; still an unpleasant experience, though.

Personally, if the tank was contained more than about 4 gallons of waste, contained paper, or had solid waste in it, I would make the effort to drive to a dump station and pay the fee.  Fortunately for us, we live near a Maverick gas station that offers free dumping.  If i was in need of urgent dumping, I'd go there, buy some gas and dump away.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:07am
Yes, don't trust the gauge. It is not to be believed. Mine has read full even after I emptied it. Bits of paper and other items hang up on the sensor probes and give false readings. There are other probes that have a shield over the top part to keep stuff from accumulating on the probe but the best solution I have read about is the SeeLevel that reads through the wall of the tank and is not affected by the contents. However, it isn't cheap. I just saw another version on Amazon by Levelguard called SensaTank that looks similar and also reads through the tank and should therefore be much more accurate. I may have to get one or the other one of these days.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:14am
mission complete!!!!  clean as a whistle.  never done this before, so actually watched what came out.  Obviously things break down very nicely, nothing but stinky brownish water, no solids or t paper.  ran black water flush for about 10 minutes, you could drink out of this thingThumbs Down.  one thing i noticed was alot of dead black flies.  is that normal?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:25am
I'm only a few years into campers so no expert but I'd agree with StephenH, I been adding 5gal and a biological after dumping and find it cleans well sloshing around on the ride home. Not wasting tank space as I would have added 5-6 gals with my chems at my next trip anyway, I just show up with it.

I've also considered a mascerating pump for home use, there are cheaper models than this. Would be useful if I use the 179 as a guest room in the driveway.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-000A-Portable-Macerator-Carrying/dp/B001HKZHIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530972847&sr=8-2&keywords=black+tank+pump#customerReviews
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>