R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 RP-179 Sleeping Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 RP-179 Sleeping Capacity
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
Hi. Potential future owner here. Considering pulling the trigger on a 2015 Model 179. Going to check it out this weekend but was curious if the litte dinette space could reasonably fit 2 medium sized kiddo's. I'm guessing it's going to be tight but we're pretty close knit haha. Any other general things I should keep an eye peeled for when I check it out that come to mind? Appreciate any feedback.
MP2112
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:10am
People do it but in my opinion Pods are mostly for two people -- and can be a bit cramped for two.  With kids, an r-dome or some other outside room will be almost essential.  As far as sleeping, yes, that should work.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:30am
If it's just for sleeping, you'd be fine.  Our bed in our 172 is about the same size (upper bunk removed and lower widened a couple inches) works fine for the two of us, especially when temperatures drop down to freezing.  But, if you plan on spending rainy days inside the pod with two adults and 2 kids, you need to plan on heavily sedating them or you will go nuts.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 8:37am
The small cushions can be a problem. You may wish to check out mods (like mine, see link in signature) to make it a better bed for sleeping. At best, you will end up with a 3/4 width (48" x 75") bed. You can find sheets that fit a 3/4 size. With the table mod (pedestals instead of the swivel mechanism), the table can be stowed out of the way and the full bench seat of the sofa can be used while traveling as well.

Also, adding a curtain rod or some method of hanging a curtain for privacy for the queen bed is a good idea. I had a spring-tension rod that I use between the R-Pod's wall and the corner of the wardrobe. I had thought to put up brackets and use a plain rod, but the spring-tension one has worked well so far. The ones which have a twist-lock mechanism don't work so well as they don't stay adjusted and fall down but if you can find a spring-tension one, that works okay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 11:34am
It makes me sad when I see almost new pods going up for sale at a significant financial loss because they "didn't work for my family".  I would hate to see two little ones crammed into the dinette in the 179.  The bed is not wide, is not comfortable, and is difficult to hold together.  Additionally two little ones can quickly become two bigger ones who will not be willing to share a bed with their sibling.

I would urge you to visit your dealer and shut yourself in the 179 and play house.  Put the dinette together, put the kids on it, think about where you will store those bulky corner cushions at night when your trailer is already loaded with clothing, food and linens.  It might work for you. 

I would also suggest you look at a 176 which has twin beds in the nose and a short queen-sized dinette bed and go through the same exercise.  

You'll note from my signature that I have owned both trailers.

Good luck with your decision.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
MikeP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:12pm
Really appreciate the insight folks.  Kind of "forced" to look at these smaller models b/c our tow vehicle is a 6 cylinder Honda Pilot. We'll see how it goes but the size is definitely a concern. 
MP2112
 Post Reply Post Reply