R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy Dometic AC - Event Date: 14 Jul 2018 - 21 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Noisy Dometic AC
    Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by crw8sr

Has anyone put a rheostat on the fan motor to slow the fan speed down?  Any drawbacks to doing that?
I would contemplate replacing the noisy fan with something that runs more quietly.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by crw8sr

Has anyone put a rheostat on the fan motor to slow the fan speed down?  Any drawbacks to doing that?

I found this which might help some.

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/hobby/rv-fan-speed-controller/
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
I contacted this guy to see if his Hush Kit would work on the Dometic.  He says not.  So I asked him if he'd consider building one for the Dometic AC we all suffer from and said there's likely quite a market for them.
Please email this company if you want to encourage them to do so.

We'll see.....

http://www.perfectcasita.com/fred.html
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
Had to poke around to find his email: info@perfectcasita.com. Sent in an inquiry and got this response:
Sorry, I don't know where you "heard" this, but we have no plans to produce a hush kit for a dometic ac unit, just no demand for it. Our plans might change if demand suddenly increases, but no plans at this time. Thank you for your inquiry. Regards, Claire 469-312-1222

bp
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:54am
Similar response to what I received.  I guess they are just not interested in tapping a market such as us.

I think if everyone who has a Dometic AC were to email them, they might see that there IS A DEMAND for such a product.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:53pm
I can't believe there are that many Casitas out and about. Sure I see one almost every time we camp out. But that's true of R-pods (and R-pod clones) as well.
bp
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
I sent them an e-mail and received a quick reply.............."We do not make a hush kit for Dometic ac." 
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 1:38pm
This is a real problem for a few, and no big deal for many.  If the number of pod owners that complain compared to the total members on this site are an indication it would hardly pay to make the mentioned kits. 

For me it is no problem.  It cools the pod and doesn't keep me fom sleeping. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 3:24pm
I guess the demand is driven by geographics. When I lived in AZ it was not unusual to have 100 degree nights. In TN, AL, KY I can't recall the last time I used AC at night. I also have owned multiple RVs and I guess just got accustomed they are loud. During the day we run the AC for the dog, but we're not inside, we're out and about:) We have an additional fan and I grew up in the pre AC generation. Good discussion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 8:13am
For those technically inclined:

I've investigated the Dometic 13.5k BTU AC on my RPod to see if it is feasible to use a speed control, like those sold for the Casita, to reduce noise.  While it may be possible, it would involve too much effort due to the type of fan motor used.  The Dometic fan motor is a different type than that used in the Coleman Mach 8 AC.  So, please do not call or email the company I listed requesting they make a speed control for Dometic AC.  I should not have suggested doing so.

For those questioning the need:

I like well-engineered products.  The RPod is pretty well engineered.  I have some QC issues with mine and there's some simply crappy workmanship that I failed to notice before buying mine..  Noise is a factor for me.  If I cannot use the AC because it's too noisy, I want to change it.  With my AC, I find it quite difficult to talk and especially to sleep in hot weather.  That then makes the Dometic AC unit virtually useless to me.

In my opinion, Forest River installed an AC that is much too big for my 177.  Business-wise, they most likely got a good deal from Dometic for the AC units and put them on everything because of it.  If I could do it all over again (and I might sell my 177), I'd special order an RPOD with a Coleman Mach 8 AC in which I could put a $100 speed control.

This reminds me of my flying days.  I owned a small 2 seat plane which had straight exhaust stacks and it was pretty noisy in the cockpit.  I put in an intercom and had headsets for each person.  One day I did a check ride with an older instructor who told me that using headsets while sitting side-by-side was stupid and in all his flying time, he'd never needed ear protection.  And he told me this outside the airplane before we even started it.  In a very loud voice.  Because he had significant hearing damage.

As usual, your situation will likely be different.

2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>