R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake trouble, right wheel get hot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake trouble, right wheel get hot
    Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 4:23pm
You are spot on. My owners manual makes no mention of downshifting. Prudence and common sense prevail. The Glueguy analogy is a good one.   I have towed for years I don't make a habit of downshifting autos, just me. But agree circumstances prevail.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 4:08pm
I downshift all the time with my Dakota to avoid over speeding down hill.  All the down shifting is done well in anticipation of the need for braking and without over reving the engine or going from D to 1.  Nothing is ever done done abruptly.  The key to mountain driving, in my experience, is to never be in a hurry, keep your speed on downgrades well under control (pulling over to let the bicycles pass when necessary), and being patient as you slowly ascend steep upgrades in an appropriate gear for the grade.  Trying to go too fast, uphill or downhill, will only create excessive wear on brakes, the tranny, and the engine so why hurry?  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:48am
To clarify, I agree proper downshifting is a proactive was to reduce vehicle speed. The operative word is proper. One has to be careful of over reving and to not shift down more than one gear at a time, if it can be done wrong it will.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:08am
Most modern cars are equipped to and why they have the + and - marked on shift lever. Read your owners manual. They are designed to be downshifted. Forget your grandfathers impression. Things have changed.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by lostagain

Mike, are you saying one should not downshift with an auto trans to use the engine to slow the vehicle?  On our car, it is specifically set up for easy down shifting.  This causes excessive wear on the trans?
I believe that downshifting (e.g. long mountain downhill) does no more wear, and probably less wear on an engine/transmission than a long mountain uphill. It probably is a lot less wear.

The main thing is that it will be reducing the heat build up in the brakes. I can't tell you how many times I'm near the bottom of a long downhill and the guy in front of me (or behind me Shocked) has his brakes smoking, and is having trouble slowing down or even stopping. Do NOT overheat your brakes. It's not a wear issue, it's a safety issue.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:55am
Mike, are you saying one should not downshift with an auto trans to use the engine to slow the vehicle?  On our car, it is specifically set up for easy down shifting.  This causes excessive wear on the trans?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 2:59pm
unfortunately Stephen, the picture doesn't help. Great idea though. I notice the problem as I watched the movement of the brake. The picture has great detail, but I don't see it in real 3D and live movement. I'm sorry about that.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 7:23pm
If you remember what it is, I would like to know as well. Would this picture of Lippert electrical brakes help? It gets me to thinking. What if the wrong side was installed, such as a right hand model when a left should have been or vice versa?

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 6:41pm
I had this exact problem, with the right wheel as well. My dealer also told me there was nothing wrong. I went back and took a look. I don't remember exactly what it was I found. I found that a part of the brake assembly had a bit of play in it. It might have been the magnetic piece is, I forget. They were explaining how it all worked and that's when i found it. I told them that i think the brake could get stuck "sometimes" if that part happens to get in the way. I convinced them to give me a whole new brake assembly under warranty. I havent had a problem since. I monitor my hub temperature pretty closely with a laser thermometer. I wish I remembered exactly what it was. If I was looking at it, I could pick it out in a second. My dealer did propose taking out the self adjusting brakes on mine if I kept having problems, but THEY were going to warranty it. I think your dealer might suck.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
VeroSail View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:55pm
I understand what you mean about the downshift.

But in the context here, the wheel was heating even if I was driving on highway during hours without braking. There was friction in the drum even I wasn't braking.  So downshifting wasn't a way to help me to solve the problem.   But thank you for taking time to answer something.

Fortunately, I found someone competent who found how to adjust it properly.  Very happy to learn that the system was not broken, just very poorly adjusted... by the dealer how sold me this brand new R-Pod...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>