R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning wires in the Rpod - How do you do it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running wires in the Rpod - How do you do it?
    Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:58pm
I need to run some 12VDC wires into some interior walls to power a few things. I'm adding a plug for an inverter near the TV and another for a fan near our bed.  How have you folks done this before?  Any information is appreciated.  
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:46am
I ran a circuit for my 12V plug, USB ports and Volt meter in my 178. I used the spare fuse slot in the convertor bay and ran the wires under floor to the dinette seat on door side. I drilled two holes in floor which I later filled and added protective wrap to wiring along with wire ties. I chose to put the circuit in seat as I can see the gauge from outside and also what I'm charging lays on seat and is accessible thru door.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:27pm
Years ago I suggested that a few cable chases could be built into the walls to accommodate custom circuits and was roundly excoriated for the suggestion.  It was akin to "You'll shoot your eye out, kid..."

The consensus was that it would result in law suits by customers that short circuited either the R-Pod or themselves and that the concept constituted "an attractive nuisance" to use a legal term.

I still think it would be better than drilling holes in walls, floors, cabinets, etc.  ...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 4:36pm
That's nice, but it's not reality, they are not there. I think good idea, kind of, is your house built with extra circuits? No, you add them. Cable chases can be added as can wiring additions in walls, floors, etc. We are creative as a bunch, and I think we do a pretty good job of making our stuff work.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
Plus the outside walls have an aluminum "stud" every couple of feet. If there were wire chases or any kind of conduit, those would all have to be drilled. Not to mention the foam...
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 10:38am
It's easy to run wires in the 179 along the right wall. You can run them under the shower and behind the drawers below the wardrobe. That's what I did when I installed our inverter and 12V and USB outlets.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 4:27pm
Maybe the 172 is a leftist?  All the wire has to be run from the left side, in around, and under the head.  There is only one place you can't easily reach and that's the upper cabinet above the galley.  It requires a run through the foamcored outer wall; not a practical way to go.  The WFCO circuit box is below the refrigerator and is easily accessed for a run forward under the shower/head pan to the front bunk area.  To run up the wall between the head and the forward bunks, a wire fish comes in handy.  To run aft, you can go around the heater and water heater, under the dinette, and back forward to the galley.  

I added a 110AC plug in the upper aft cabinet, but that only meant tapping into the existing plug in the forward cabinet and running a little Romex through the wall that separates the two.  What I found is that RV electrical stuff sucks.  I ended up using standard household plugs and plastic remodel boxes.  The device to press the wire into the RV plug connections is a Rube Goldberg contraption that is designed for failure and costs more than our Pod is worth on the black market.  It's easy to find blue plastic shallow 110 boxes that do fine in RV walls and they're very inexpensive.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply