R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo what are everyone's camping plans this year?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what are everyone's camping plans this year?
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 7:55am
We have 2 trips planned around the Lancaster, PA area in June, one of them at the Jellystone campground. 

Then a week-long trip near Ocean City, MD.  That one is at a campground we visited for 5 or 6 years in a row and loved for its "rustic charm".  In other words, it had been around for 30 years so you didn't go because everything was new and shiny.  But you could get a beachfront campsite - with Assateague (and views of its ponies) across the water in front of you.  Few people used the beach either.  Then the owner was ready for retirement and sold.  The new owners were planning on building and cashing out but rumor was they couldn't get the permits.  So they bulldozed everything and installed all-new utilities to each site and put up new bath houses and pool.  With new rates too - of course.  So we haven't been back in a few years but decided to finally give it a try this year.  It will be a great week no matter what but we are worried it just won't be the same, y'know?

Next up is a long weekend in the far western MD + northern WV area.  Never camped there before so its something new.

We haven't planned out the September-October trips yet but I'm sure we'll spend most of the weekends in October at a local state park like we did last year.  Our girls cheerlead for a rec program in that area, a bit of a pain during game season when its a 25+ minute drive every weekend to one of the schools (getting up early which we don't like to do), then back.  And it means no camping.  Came up with the perfect plan last year when I discovered that park was very close.  We can camp all weekend, sleep in a bit then pack up Sunday morning and go to the game, then go home.

So what are your plans?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:33pm
Well, we've already been on one trip to Valens Conservation Area this year.  We met up with Phil H's clan and had a great time.  We'll be meeting up with them again in a couple of weeks at Darlington Provincial Park.

Two big trips planned this year:
  • In June, we'll be heading to Fort Boonesborough, Kentucky for the Eastern RoundUp.  I'm looking forward to the huge gathering of podders...  This first event promises to be exciting.  It'll be 2200 KMs round trip.  
  • In July, I'll be heading out alone (well, our border collie will be coming along) on a nine-day trip around the outskirts of Algonquin.  Its a trip I've wanted to do for a couple of years now, and I'll get to see some of the more remote areas of the park.  Lots of hiking, some canoeing.  I'll be staying in four different campgrounds around the periphery and heading into the park from there.  It'll be just over 1000 KMs of towing, plus 400-500 KMs of additional driving around.
For (at least) two of the holiday weekends, we'll be meeting up with a group of friends at a private campground about 2 hours from home.  On long weekends, the campground is party central with its dance club/bar, restaurant and pool (with bar and live entertainment), fireworks... everything.  I in no way call this 'camping'; but, the people there are great and its a lot of fun.

My mom will be joining us in June for a weekend at Pinehurst Lake Conservation Area, about 2 1/2 hours from home.  Somehow, an invitation to a few aunts, uncles and cousins to stop in for a BBQ lunch/potluck spiraled out of control and we now have over 50 people dropping-in.  I thought that might be a few too many to squeeze on our campsite (and using our r-pod's facilities), so I broke down and rented a pavillion (with its own facilities).  This weekend promises to be fantastic!

We've also got one weekend booked at the Elora Gorge Conservation Area, about two hours from home.  There are some really nice campsites (and I managed to book my favourite) and trails and the view is absolutely gorgeous.  But, the big draw is tubing through the Gorge itself.  For $20/day, you can rent an inner tube, life jacket and helmet from the park and go on the 2 KM run through the Gorge's rapids; they even have a free shuttle bus to take you from the bottom of the Gorge back to the top for another run.

Apart from that, we'll play it by ear for weekend camping.  We'll definitely be going to Warsaw Caves again this year; its fantastic fun exploring.  Ferris Provincial Park is also one of my favourites and rarely has more than a handful of campers.  In fact, we've got two dozen provincial parks/conservation areas within 3 hours of home (heck, even Algonquin is only a 3 1/2 drive) - so there's lots of choice.  We're not shy about camping without hookups (unless its really humid), so there's generally no need for reservations as there are usually plenty of unserviced sites.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 7:16pm
Most of my trips are fairly close by.  So far almost all trips with the Pod was for trail riding in the Jeep.  Next week is Jeep Beach in Daytona Beach and I'll be taking the Pod.  They are expecting 600 Jeeps this year.  Should be a lot of fun!  http://www.jeepbeach.com

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 9:17pm
Our plans so far:

Early June: podding on inlaws farm with other "family campers" for a mulit-day open house/bonfire/pigroast/camping extravaganza. Much food will be eaten and firewood burned.

Late June: Eastern RU, followed by a couple days in Twin Knobs KY. Many new folks will be met.

Early July: Kayak/tubing/camping trip on the Rifle river with friends and family. There is a possiblilty that some malt beverages may be consumed. This trip will be immediately followed by ...

... plan "A" is circumnavigation of Lake Superior by rPod, following the east side of Lake Michigan on the way back home. Plan "B" is we'll start in Ontario at the Pinery, work our way around Manatoulin Island, maybe hit St. Joseph Island, then follow the west side of Lake Huron back down to home. SWMBO is still doing background research for these trips.

August, Sept: nothing scheduled yet. If we do all the above, it's possible we may be penniless by this time anyway. Kidding! Actually, I'm waiting for a verdict on possible shoulder surgery during that time. Hopefully I can put it off until late fall. If not, much frowning will be done during this period.

Early Oct: family gathering at local State Park on their "Halloween Themed" weekend.  Silly clothes will be worn.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:54pm
We have two long trips planned, around June 15 we will leave for Yukon-Alaska and will be back home around  the last week of July. Around August 20 we will leave for the East Coast
and  should be back home by October 15. And that is the reason that we just bought a new TV, 2010 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 l V8, Auto trans., 4x4, class 4 tow package. (7200 lbs) Smile 

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 8:27pm
So far we have visited Devil's Lake State Park and Castle Mound State in Wisconsin.  Then we are headed for Milwaukee area for our grandkids spring musical program next week.  We'll be spending time in a local county park and at the State Fair campgrounds.  Then in June we'll be heading for Mammoth Cave and then meeting everyone at the ERU in Kentucky.  In September we are planning our trip to Montana and Yellowstone, with all kinds of stops in between.  

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:10pm
We have to get the pod out of moth balls first. Going to freeze here tonight, had 2-4 inches of snow north of here last nite.
We are going to go out to s.dak to see some kinfolk. we will take it to AZ. this winter starting in Oct. by way of TX. We will use a lot of state parks here and national forests here in Mn. We are retired and i have beat cancer so far. We will go out for about 3-4 days to use old duffer rates during the week.
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:40pm
As soon as B comes back from Mechanicsburg Pa we will be going to Sedona Az. We have been out to canyon lake, lake pleasant, and prescott all in Az.We are planning to go to san diego in june or july depending on work. just love our pod and want to go every other weekend, luckily weather is never an issue. i don't shovel sunshine! lol
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:56pm
Well our plans have already included several week-ends up at a Girl Scout Camp my wife and I volunteer at.  We have several other week-ends planed at the Girl Scout Camp.  We are also looking at camping during the week versus the weekends at some of the local State Parks as they will not be as crowded.  In august we are looking to do a bigger trip of about 9 days but not sure where yet.

Any ideas?  From PA to Maine? From PA to Chicago (Brother-in-Law lives out there)? PA to ????

Looking for some ideas
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:13am

Sedona is truly awesome. Arizona is awesome.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>