This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow vehicle stance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle stance?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:05pm
i have an observation about tow vehicles. I have a GMC Terrain, and when you look at it from the side, the rear end sits a few inches higher than the front. So when I hook up my 171 and loaded truck it sits just about perfectly level. When I see other vehicles, a lot of them seem to sit just level BEFORE you would ever hook up their trailers. Which in turn has the tow vehicle “squatting” lower than level? Are there more SUV’s that have this higher stance to start with?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:03pm
Hey JoeSaint,

The vast majority of unmodified pickups and some SUVs set about two inches high in the rear when empty. This is so the vehicles rear end will not be excessively low when the truck is loaded, because it has a cargo area it is a bit different than a car.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:05am
And either kind of vehicle will (should) be level if hitched with a WDH (weight distribution hitch).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:17am
Mine is level without a WDH, if it were not I'd consider a WDH.
Mike Carter
2015 178
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

And either kind of vehicle will (should) be level if hitched with a WDH (weight distribution hitch).

Not really. The front end is usually designed to handle a certain amount of weight. If you completely level the vehicle with tow weight attached and a WDH, you're transferring more weight to the front end than it was designed for. What you should shoot for is no change on the front, i.e. the height of the front wheel well before and after attaching the trailer should be roughly the same, with the excess weight on the rear end.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:42pm
Moved from "Introduce yourself".

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Not really. The front end is usually designed to handle a certain amount of weight. If you completely level the vehicle with tow weight attached and a WDH, you're transferring more weight to the front end than it was designed for. What you should shoot for is no change on the front, i.e. the height of the front wheel well before and after attaching the trailer should be roughly the same, with the excess weight on the rear end.
It still ends up the same way. For most pickups with the back end higher unloaded, adding a WDH will tend to level it. For most passenger vehicles, with the stance level unloaded, adding the WDH will bring the back end up and tend to level it. I would say that 90% of the time adding the WDH will tend to level the whole setup (TT + TV).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
JoeSaint View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 9:14pm
I have just been checking out a lot of 7 seat SUV,s for their stance because at some point I want to go bigger than my terrain. It seems that the GMC ACADIA is like my terrain with the rear sitting higher in the rear. The Ford Explorer is higher but didn’t seem like too much difference. But the Toyota Highlander seems to be level, as well as the hyundi Santa Fe. I would guess it would sit lower once loaded and a trailer attached. I guess most of them are really not meant to tow with even though they sell them with tow packages.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:12am
I think they are meant to tow and the design of the vehicle to include the rear suspension is designed to compensate for load to a point. Once that load is more than the vehicle's suspension can compensate for and is within reason, the decision is the operators to add additional help, like a WDH. I don't recommend you enhance the suspension, but some folks do. The best option is to transfer the weight and that is what a WDH does, not make the rear go higher or sag less, which is what suspension enhancements do. You have to be within the tow capacity of the vehicle and I'm sure you know that which is what I mean by "within reason".
Mike Carter
2015 178
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:20am

It still ends up the same way. For most pickups with the back end higher unloaded, adding a WDH will tend to level it. For most passenger vehicles, with the stance level unloaded, adding the WDH will bring the back end up and tend to level it. I would say that 90% of the time adding the WDH will tend to level the whole setup (TT + TV).

Our Highlander sits noticeably (but not significantly) lower in the back with our 179 hitched up through our E2 WDH than unhitched, but the front end is at the same level both ways. FWD vehicles may be more sensitive to this than RWD or AWD because of all the extra linkages.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>