R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 - Mod - Battery Cut Off Switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 - Mod - Battery Cut Off Switch
    Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:10am
Been meaning to do this mod since last April.  Finally got around to doing it this weekend.  Installed a switch on the battery so that when the camper is not being used we can kill the current to anything that may drain the battery.  This was also a good time to put holes in the bottom of the battery box to let any water drain that may get trapped in there.  This was a pretty easy mod

1) take the lid off the battery box and disconnecting the positive battery terminal
2) Find a center spot on the lid to drill 3 holes (mine where 3/4" and 3/16"holes and finished up with a file)
3) install the switch using 2 bolts with lock washers to the lid
4) run a jump wire from one side of the switch to the positive side of the battery
5) connect the wire you had removed from the positive terminal of the battery to the other side of the switch.
6) Install cover back on the battery box and remember to put the safety strap back on the battery

The switch is only on when the key is in and turned on. 

Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:35am
Great job and nice clear pics. My questions, having done this mod also, are: How to you keep the key from possibly jumping out of the switch, since it needs to be on for the fridge while on the road, and what about rain since the switch cover ( I used a crutch tip to cover the switch hole) won't be on with the key in it while running? I have thought of some kind of tether on the key to hook to the frame or something, just so the key would not get lost should it jump out, but have not done that yet. Any ideas?
F150/R-pod171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:56am
Another option if you are worried about the key popping out - a weather-proof fuse holder.  This is the option I took.  I have a high-amperage fuse in there during use, and when I get home I pull the fuse out and leave it on the floor just inside the door (so I don't forget to put it back in).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:11am
I put a short cable on the key and clip that will fasten to the frame to keep the key from getting lost.  Not too worried about water entering the switch as it is a sealed switch.

You do need to have the battery charged and turned on anytime you are towing as the runaway brake is powered by the battery.  If for any reason the trailer breaks away from your tow vehicle the runaway brake controller will activate and lock your trailer brakes to stop the trailer. 

Now as I type this I need to check the PA State Inspection guidelines to see if they state anything about cut off switches on the batteries.  I know when I get it inspected the battery needs to be FULLY charged or they will not pass it.
 Post Reply Post Reply