R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFR 50 to 30 amp warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FR 50 to 30 amp warning
    Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:24pm
Greetings

You have a 30 amp breaker on the panel in the camper.  To be safe on the cord, you can most likely find a external  weather proof 30 amp breaker to put in line next to the post  I have been in some parks where you only have a 50 amp.  All RV's to my knowledge operate on 120 V

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm
Right. It's sometimes referred to as "split phase", and you have the (potential) of two 50 amp single phase circuits or one 240 volt 50 amp circuit.

If I were to split off one of the phases, I would put a separate breaker box between the pod and the 50 amp connector with a 30 amp breaker in it. Don't try this unless you know what you're doing.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm
Use of the dogbone adapter in conjunction with my circuit analyzer/surge protector gives me confidence to use the the 50A outlet if a 30A outlet is not available. If the circuit analyzer indicates the connection is good, I'm okay with it.

The potential for damage is if there is a defective post that is not wired according to specs.  If one of the hot and the neutral connections is reversed, then it could feed 240V through the dogbone if the adapter happens to pull power from the leg that happens to be wired hot and the miswired neutral. However, if the outlet is wired correctly, I think it is improbable that 240V would be fed to the 'Pod. The 'Pod's 30A main breaker would protect the 'Pod. Our houses are fed with very many amps and they don't blow up items that only require 15A or less. That is because each circuit is protected by a suitably sized breaker.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:12am

Let me add some engineering clarity to this issue. StephenH has most of it right. Using the dogbone provides a single 120V/50A circuit. The 30A breaker in the camper will protect the wiring in the camper so the only thing left partially unprotected is the cord from the pedestal to the camper. If a true short were to develop in that cord or connectors, or the few feet of wire between the camper wall and the power converter panel inside the camper, the 50A breaker on the CG pedestal would trip. In the almost impossible situation where a cord defect could cause current of more than 30A but less than 50A to flow the cord would just get warm. Fire danger is essentially zero.

The use of a good surge protector that senses under and over voltage (TRC Surge Guard) is always recommended, even without a dogbone. Wiring errors or faulty wiring can cause a dangerous situation or equipment damage if undetected. Miswired pedestals can be hazardous to humans. Low voltage will damage A/C motors; high voltage will damage almost anything else plugged in to the camper. It’s very cheap insurance.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
lgblau View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
Thanks CharlieM for the great, understandable( in English) explanation.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:13am
So, I'm reading " Continue doing what you've been doing" ?  There is virtually no risk here?? Because I always choose the 50 amp with my adapter if one is available. I had two trips that when i plugged into the 30 amp, the plug didn't stay fully engaged from the weight of the cable. A partially engaged plug I believe is a hazard, so i've heard. My 50 adapter always plugs in nice and tight.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 11:54am
Charlie, 

RE: TRC Surge Guard. Which one do you recommend? Some say the entry level one is prone to water damage. Your opinion, sir.

Thanks,

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:46pm
Fred,

I recommend the TRC 34830, the new 34930, or their hard wired equivalents. The lower end protectors check for wiring and snag surges but don't monitor for high/low voltage. That's a big deal. Low voltage is a common problem on summer afternoons when everyone is running their A/C. Note that none actually interrupt for high current. That's what breakers are for.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 1:32pm
Thank you sir!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:21pm
Thank you for adding to my comment. I'm glad I had "most of it right." One of these days, I will upgrade my circuit analyzer/surge protector to a more capable unit. However, that just got farther away since I am in the process of rebuilding my chimney chase (wood framed prefab fireplace/chimney) plus I just had some trees trimmed and two removed, neither of which are inexpensive projects.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>