R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFR 50 to 30 amp warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FR 50 to 30 amp warning
    Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 11:03am
Hi. Did anyone happen to catch the FaceBook FR dog bone warning on the Face Book RPod Forum, that was posted today.
Leonard🌵
2017/179
2017 Ram 1500
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 11:48am
It would be nice if they posted it on their website since not everyone uses Facebook
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Larry-D

It would be nice if they posted it on their website since not everyone uses Facebook

It was in response to a discussion ON the FB group.

But to paraphrase.. "Don't use a 50/30A dogbone, our lawyers think it is unsafe".
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 12:10pm
"Lawyers", that tells the whole story
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Especially since with some campgrounds like the one we stayed at this spring, there is no alternative than to use a 50 to 30A adapter. It was either use it or do without an electrical connection.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Especially since with some campgrounds like the one we stayed at this spring, there is no alternative than to use a 50 to 30A adapter. It was either use it or do without an electrical connection.

Heh, heh, like that's a bad thing.. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 

I spend far too much time away from said camping areas.. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
I hate to play the Symantics game, so this is a legitimate thought. I almost always use a 50 amp adapter. The type of adapter I use is a solid one piece cord cap style plug that has 4 male prongs on one side, and 3 females on the other side. It doesn't have a hanging cable between two different plugs. I wonder if it's only the " dogbone " configuration they don't like? I can't see that simply plugging a 30 amp plug into a 50 amp receptacle would be a problem. Is something not making sense here? Is it me? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:26pm
I also read the post. What I read into it is you passing a higher load from the pole. 

I'll let someone smarter work through this, but... 50amp is 4 pronged. To me that's 220v. If the 'doggone' (or whatever) drops a leg, then it's taking 110v at 25a (only from one side).

I've never been to a 50a pole nor tested one. So I'm talking out my (well you know) and haven't a clue.

Here's the post for you folks: You work it out.. 

I want to share some Official information direct from Forest River. This comes from their Chief Engineer and is released to me from the R-Pod Warranty Manager. This concerns a warning sticker on your R-Pod that I'll include here and the use of "dogbone" or "cheater" adapters to step down a 50 amp connection to a 30 amp. This has become a heated topic lately and to prevent any further conversations that are heading down the wrong path please use this post going forward for all discussions and opinions on this matter. Respect is mandatory on both sides of this topic no matter your level of expertise, opinion, technical skill, agreement, or lastly disagreement with this information. So we have this sticker, and the question of "can" / "should" you use the pictured adapters. This comes from Forest River on the subject: "We manufacturer these products with either a 20 amp, 30 amp or 50 amp system. The 20 amp is a standard plug that would go into any 20 amp receptacle in your home. The 30 amp is also 3 prong, but the configuration is different so that the proper receptacle is used with the proper wire size and proper breakers for the receptacle. The 50 amp is a different configuration it is a 4 prong and is actually a 240 volt plug . All of these components are installed per the National Electrical Code and individual components are tested and listed by Underwriters lab.
I know there are these cheater plugs available to step a 50 amp down to plug into a 30 amp receptacle or a 30 amp into a 20 amp, and there are adapters to step things the opposite direction, have been for many years. None of these adapters are listed with UL or approved by NEC. The scenario is that the customer plugs a 30 amp unit into a 50 amp receptacle, the adapter does not make allowances or have a fuse or breaker system built into them so the 30 amp power cord could develop a short or arc at the connection causing a fire and the 50 amp breaker will not trip to protect the system." So again, OFFICIALLY from Forest River, that sticker means 100% that they only intend and advise Owners to use and plug into a 30 amp receptacle. So where does that leave so many of use that own and use these adapters? Well it leaves us with the choice to do what we think is best, as the situation demands. Feel free do discuss your side and advice on this so that we might, as a community provide information and experiences that will allow current and future Owners decide how they wish to approach the use of said adapters. Finally, and I say this with hopes that no one goes too far off subject or begins arguing instead of discussing this topic, if you choose to go that route you will find yourself removed from this post and muted.  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:01pm
Thanks for posting here olddawg.

So, can I assume that my Provessive Industries hardwired EMS unit between the pole and my converter will provide me some added and necessary protection?
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I also read the post. What I read into it is you passing a higher load from the pole. 

I'll let someone smarter work through this, but... 50amp is 4 pronged. To me that's 220v. If the 'doggone' (or whatever) drops a leg, then it's taking 110v at 25a (only from one side).

I've never been to a 50a pole nor tested one. So I'm talking out my (well you know) and haven't a clue.

It is 2 50A legs. Not 2 25A legs to get to "50A". A 50A camper has 2 50A 120v circuits in it. Though it comes in as 240V, the distribution box is not configured like a household one, and you can not pull from both legs with a double breaker to get 240v past the box.

The important thing to know is.. a 50A camper doesn't have 20A more available to it then a 30A, BUT 70Amps more.. that's why some have 3 a/c's... LOL But they run into the same thing we do if they turn to much stuff on at once.. LOL

Oh, and yes, it just drops a leg. The "worry" is that while the 'camper" is protected from a 30A issue at the distribution box, all the wiring between the plug and box, including the plug at the side of the trailer, (which can already be sketchy) isn't it is protected only by the 50A breaker at the pedestal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>