R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother Converter Bites The Dust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Converter Bites The Dust
    Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 11:55am
I made this post back in 2016 and the vibration issue in 180s was later confirmed by another board member.

The history:  
Brand new 2017 180 and the power converter goes bad.  I took it to Camping World in Cedar Falls, IA (very nice people, highly recommended) for warranty repair.  They verify it is bad and replace it.  Short time passes, along with roughly 4,000 towing miles, and converter goes bad again.  Could still get a warranty replacement but I'm not much for repeating bad history.

The theory:
I had been plugging in to known power drops at facilities I have visited many times in the past, so in addition to having a history of good power, I also metered the last one where the converter gave up the ghost.  Power was within spec.  My theory is this; the tray which supports the converter in the power center has quite a bit of movement and I believe it simply vibrates the converters to death.  As I cover a LOT of mileage, a large portion on midwest secondary roads, I'm seeing it more frequently than most.  On average, a converter about every 3,500-4,000 miles at this point.

The fix:
Eliminate the wiggle factor.  I simply cut to size a piece of blueboard insulation I found on property and wedged it underneath the tray, along with a piece of two-sided tape to hold it in place, which eliminated the wiggle.  You could use anything else that would fit snugly underneath the tray.  To access (in a 180) simply remove the seat cushion and using a phillips screw driver, remove the wooden cover and it's all right there.  

One step further:
I also swapped out the bad converter for a new Progressive Dynamics 9260.  It's a bit of overkill but I have had good luck with them in the past and I no longer trust the factory converters.  The swap is very easy and straight forward.  If you decide to go this route, install a female plug utilizing the power wires currently running to the factory converter and at that point the 9260 becomes plug and play.  I simply used good, two-sided tape to hold the new converter in place in the newly de-wiggled tray.  So far, so good.

I have since moved on from my rPod into a Little Guy MAX teardrop but I like checking back on occasion to see how everyone is getting on.  Happy podding!
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
So I just replaced a defective converted WFCO 8955PEC. Interestingly, I bought my R-Pod 179 in April of 2017 (manufactured in Jan/Feb 2017). The defective converter has a manufacture date of February 16, 2014 stamped on the board. Could part of the problem be that some of these are refurbs being put into new R-Pods? I can't imagine this is the case, but the stamp date on the dead converter sure appears to be three years older than the Pod. I'm curious if anyone else has run into this. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by ChetC

I made this post back in 2016 and the vibration issue in 180s was later confirmed by another board member.

The history:  
Brand new 2017 180 and the power converter goes bad.

The theory:
My theory is this; the tray which supports the converter in the power center has quite a bit of movement and I believe it simply vibrates the converters to death.

The fix:
Eliminate the wiggle factor.  I simply cut to size a piece of blueboard insulation I found on property and wedged it underneath the tray, along with a piece of two-sided tape to hold it in place, which eliminated the wiggle.

One step further:
I also swapped out the bad converter for a new Progressive Dynamics 9260.  It's a bit of overkill but I have had good luck with them in the past and I no longer trust the factory converters. 

ChetC,
I had the exact same problem with my WFCO converter failing in our 2017 180. In the end I also did the same solution as you did with swapping it out with the Progressive Dynamics converter but I kept the WFCO fused power distribution board. In the future if I wish I can use the distribution board that came with the Progressive Dynamics converter. Your also right that vibration is what kills the WFCO converters though I disagree with your solution. Vibration causes the wire leads on the big power resistors on the circuit board to break and there is a simple solution. Simply use RTV silicon and "cement" these big ceramic resistors together and to the circuit board. WFCO uses just a smear of this on these resistors and it simply not enough. You need to really cement these resistors so they don't vibrate to the circuit board and not just use a little smear of cement as they do when they build the converter. I believe there are three of them if I remember right and you need to remove the protective shield on top of the converter to get to one of them. Also, I might get some push back on this but I will say comparing the WFCO to the Progressive Dynamics converter the WFCO is JUNK....IMHO.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm
Should we start a pool over how ,many pages this thread goes as we continue to beat this dead horse?  I take fice pages.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Should we start a pool over how ,many pages this thread goes as we continue to beat this dead horse?  I take fice pages.

Terribly sorry, you need not worry about me contributing further.  I'll just take this as a sign it's time for me to move on.
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
Rockin the Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 5:46pm
I will take 6 in the pool.

Here's an update to what I finally did. I agree that vibration is the issue. When I removed the 8955, the ground wire to the 120 v side was just laying there and the screw that held it to the converter was also just laying in there. Sounds like there are a lot of different fixes for the issue.

I first swapped out for a PD 9260 as per my previous post. I just couldn't get use to the buzzing when the fan starts and stops. Sent it back. Second one did the same. Sent it back. I have to say that customer service at PD is excellent! They really bend over backwards to make sure that you are happy! I have come to the conclusion that this is just how they work. I can't take it. Buzzing and electronics just don't seem to go well together. Just me.

While waiting for the third one, I ordered and installed an IOTA DLS-55-X with the IQ4-X smart charge module. It is extremely quiet! I also replaced "all" of the 6 gauge wire on the 12 V side (clear to the batteries) with 4 guage. The voltage drop from the charger to the batteries is minimal.

Hopefully this will cut down on generator run time to get a full charge while boondocking.

Since I had gone through the whole warranty thing with the PD, I can't get my money back. I now have a brand new in the box PD 9260 with pendant sitting on my shelf as a backup that I will never use.

Oh well, that's what I get for being an*l.
2016 180 HRE
2014 Tacoma
Taylor 210 CSE
Bose L1 Model II
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

This is the second time in the recent past that an individual has arbitrarily stated that it's time to stop discussion on a topic.

One thing that has always appealed to me about this forum is the respect and patience that members show towards others. It demonstrates that we are all aware that we can teach, as well as learn, from each other. 

To describe this topic as 'beating a dead horse', in my opinion, does not reflect this beneficial attitude because it is one person expressing their own opinion in an arbitrary and very opinionated manner. 

Participants in this forum expect, and deserve, better.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 6:41pm
This has come up a lot in the past two years.  Each time the same ideas come up, and the same claims start.  I always read them in case something new comes up.  It hasn't yet.  That is a pretty good definition of beating a dead horse.  Like insisting the OE tires are "China Bombs", that you must replace your mattress before you even try it and your Pod will burn up if you travel with the fridge cooling on propane. 

Talk about it all you want.  It really helps no one but if you feel better for filling the space go ahead.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Rockin the Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 6:50pm
Hmmmmm.....I don't recall in all the threads about this that I looked at, anyone talking about the IOTA converter or mentioning a possible solution for getting a more efficient charge from their generators. Maybe I am completely in the wrong part of the forum? Mods Maybe?

Sorry for offering something that I thought someone might get some ideas from.

I too will take this as a sign that it is time to move on.
2016 180 HRE
2014 Tacoma
Taylor 210 CSE
Bose L1 Model II
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

One thing that has always appealed to me about this forum is the respect and patience that members show towards others. It demonstrates that we are all aware that we can teach, as well as learn, from each other. 

To describe this topic as 'beating a dead horse', in my opinion, does not reflect this beneficial attitude because it is one person expressing their own opinion in an arbitrary and very opinionated manner. 

Participants in this forum expect, and deserve, better.

I agree.  

Some members might have come upon this horse for the first time.  They're not beating it, they're remarking on a dead horse that they've encountered.  The fact that one has already seen it does not entitle one to attempt to browbeat dead horse commentators into silence.

I've been involved in online discussion forums for a loooong time, coming up on 40 years.  The "beating a dead horse" attitude will kill a forum fast.  1) New members will be turned off and disappear.  2) New topics will become rarer and rarer, making the group quieter and quieter, until -- poof!  One day, the forum will become silent.  3)  Long-time members will comment "where did everyone go?" or "test post- just checking to see if this thing is still working" ...

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>