Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuners/Performance Chips
    Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 6:25pm
thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I asked a family member the same question a couple years ago.  He is heavy into tuning diesel trucks, and he said that between a chip and a chrome exhaust tip on a gas engine the exhaust tip would give the most improvement.  Since my truck came with one I decided I was done.

+1     I always have chrome exhaust tips for the extra horsepower! Dual exhaust/tips doubles the effective gain.

On a more serious note, IMHO, if the truck were newer, I'd swap the "pumpkin" (rear gear), if I did anything. However, running what you have may be the best - it would take a long time in gas savings to recoup any significant upgrades. Your mileage doesn't seem too far out of line. You have a serious truck and they just use a certain amount of fuel.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I asked a family member the same question a couple years ago.  He is heavy into tuning diesel trucks, and he said that between a chip and a chrome exhaust tip on a gas engine the exhaust tip would give the most improvement.  Since my truck came with one I decided I was done.
I agree that there is not much that could be done with an oil burner. But a gasser can get more benefit from a tune than most other "traditional" sorts of performance mods. Things that don't add as much as you might expect: dual exhaust/crossovers, CAI, "better" air filters. Stock intake/exhaust systems are fairly sophisticated on newer vehicles (say ~~ 2013 and newer). Also, understand that a tuner won't just change the intake/exhaust/iginition timing, but will also affect the transmission shifting.

All that said, a 3/4 ton truck of that vintage, you're probably wise to leave it alone.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:16pm
I've tried several tuners.  Improved mpgs a bit for daily driving but not for towing.  When the throttle is wide open, it is wide open.  I do still use a tune on my Chevy, partly for better daily mpg, partly because I like the differences it offers when I need to step on it, including when towing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
juliemack169 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 4:56am
Great reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12