R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater tank capacity and molding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water tank capacity and molding
    Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:32pm
Does anyone know of a way to measure the amount of water in the fresh water tank (or for that matter any of the holding tanks) other than the control panel 4 red lights?  I thought I had filled to 2/3 last trip but ran short of water after 3 days.  I realized I did not run the water pump to fill the hot water tank and the lines but still.  there was only water for one shower.

the other question has to do with the plastic molding (e.g. 1" vinyl strip around outside edge) on the outside of the trailer.  the Southwest summer sun is murder on that so was wondering what compounds you may use to keep the plastic and vinyl supple.  I have bought a cover so will be keeping it under that but would still like to protect the outside parts.

thanks to all.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:26pm
The water heater, I am told. holds six gallons.  No idea how much the lines take but most folks winterize with one gallon of antifreeze.  That will put a big dent in your 35 gallons of fresh water.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:07pm
You can get an idea how much fresh water you have by looking at the tank. It is translucent polyethylene so you can see the water level with a flashlight. The best way for all tanks is to install an external sensor gauge system like SeeLevel. They go on the outside of the tanks and can be used with the existing wiring. The OEM 4 LED panel is worthless. The WH does hold 6 gallons but it's not really accessible since, once filled, it stays full. Be sure to fill the WH before you use the electric element. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:28am
CharlieM, your comment about the water heater reminded me that I have a question on the true  fresh water capacity. As the weight sticker on my 2015 179 says that filling the fresh water tank adds 250 lbs, and water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon, I took this to mean that the fresh water tank is actually 30 gallons just like the black and gray tanks. The 36 gallons fresh water spec is carefully worded as "total capacity" which I took to be Forest River's marketing sleight of hand by including the unuseable 6 gallons in the water heater. Do I have that right? 

If so, then if you start off with a full water tank but empty heater tank and water lines, you would only have about 30-6-1=23 gallons of useable water on board. 

As far as checking whether the tank is full or not, putting eyes on works very well. The other thing I notice is that the fill line is pretty low so attempting to fill the tank quickly results in blocking air from escaping from the tank, causing water to spit back out.  I can usually get an additional half to full gallon or so into my tank if I allow the tank to vent and then trickle the last bit in slowly.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:35am
Yes the "36" gallons is the 30 gallon holding tank and the WH. (all manufacturers count the WH as "storage")

But why, if you plan to be boondocking/dry camping, NOT fill the WH when you are filling the FW tank?

As far as "used all the water in one shower".. that tells you nothing about how much water was in the tank to start.

Why do I say that? Because "one showers worth of water" means different things to different people, esp. new campers who don't realize how much water they use when at home. And why do I say that?  Because someone who will remain nameless filled the grey tank in one shower, first time out.

Navy showers.. they are how you stay out +7 days, with 2 people showering daily...
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 8:23am
For the vinyl strip, the factory strip is thin and will break down. I ordered a heavier strip from Amazon:
This is a much thicker vinyl strip that also feels more flexible than the original strip. The original strip we had split down the middle in the southwest heat earlier this year. The JR strip looks to be holding up much better.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by offgrid

If so, then if you start off with a full water tank but empty heater tank and water lines, you would only have about 30-6-1=23 gallons of useable water on board.

You've got it exactly right. The extra 6 gals counts for total weight but not for usable water. If you want max usable water on board you should make sure the WH is full before topping off the FW tank. If boondocking and you want to save weight by not filling the WH you must close the WH input bypass valve. If not the pump will pump some of your precious usable water into the WH anyway. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:20am
That was the same molding that I ordered and will replace.  Do you put anything on the other outside plastic molding (e.g. door frame, spoiler)? Like Armoral?
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:27am
I use one of these when filling the tank. I doesn't tell me how much is in the tank, but I can at least tell how much I'm putting in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:28am

As usual, I agree with Charlie. The best way to know your water level is to get down on hands and knees and look at the tank. After a time, you'll learn about how much you use each day (for a rough estimate), also. There is a formula to figure volume/gallons capacity* - think Google, as I don't remember. However, your fresh tank is 30 gallons, as mentioned. Sales literature/specifications seem to always add in the water heater and, sometimes, an additional gallon for piping. I've never seen a tank that was not in multiples of 5...5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc. gallons.

I do nothing special to the vinyl trim. To me, it is a "wearable" item that requires periodic maintenance. It is easy and inexpensive to replace. It is just a "cosmetic" thing to hide the screws. Your cover (mentioned) will help with the entire exterior.

* Length X Width X Height of the tank = cubic inches, so many cubic inches in a gallon of water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>