R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic Refrig not lighting at altitude

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic Refrig not lighting at altitude
    Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:35pm
OK so my 2018 rpod179 refrigerator would not light at 7500 feet. It lit perfectly at 4500 feet. So I called Dometic who gave e the typical run around but suggested that I crank up my gas pressure to 13lbs.
THe good news is that it lite off right away at 7500 but the burner started a popping sound  in the burner which I assume is lack of air at that altitude? It stays burning with a blue flame but I get this popping sound. The burner and the orifice is perfectly clean. I've read other posts that say to replace the burner unit? MAybe I should adjust the pressure down a bit ? Im not sure what to do at this point as the dealer , forest river, and dometic all say that the refrigerator is only guaranteed to work to 4300 feet!
Was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Before I have a new orifice manufactured for me for the high altitude or start replacing other parts Im hopeing for a suggested fix.  HELP!
gary
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 4:43pm
Used mine in Colorado this summer at up to 9800 ft and had no problems. Might want to check the regulator on the gas.... Had mine go bad once.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
Checking the pressure regulator as riotkayak284 sounds like a good suggestion to me. Any LP gas service shop should be able to do that for you. Just seems to me if it lights and runs fine at 4500' it should do the same at 7500' and if not the first thing I would check is the pressure regulator.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
garyd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 9:01pm
I had the regulator checked to 11 pounds and it would not light at 7500 feet. I the was told to get it adjusted to 13 pounds and it would now light at 7500 feet but I now have a constant popping sound in the flame!

gary
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:27pm
garyd, and who check your regulator out? The dealer your bought the camper from I hope not? Just seems to me if it runs great at low elevations but not at high it points to the regulator to me but maybe someone else with more experience here then you are I will point you in the correct direction and everyone reading this thread will get an education. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:34am
I recently replaced the regulator for ours and the refrigerator worked much better this trip. While the line was disconnected, I also disconnected the refrigerator end and used some air to blow the line out (from the refrigerator end). If you do this, make sure the tank end is in a bucket or something as I got a significant amount of oily liquid out of the line.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:58pm
SH,
Weren't you worried about pushing that oily mess back up into the furnace or the water heater lines?  Seems like the stove or fridge is the end of the gas line.  Don't you have to go through those others to end up at the regulator fitting?  Just curious.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:14pm
The stove, water heater, and furnace each have a larger orfice than the refrigerator. On top of that, none of those has a pilot light so the gas flow for any of those is larger. I was mainly concerned with making sure there was nothing in the branch leading to the refrigerator which was why I blew air through from the refrigerator end. Also, since none of the other branches had anything turned on, there would have been pressure there to help keep stuff from going into those branches since the only openings were at the refrigerator (pressure source) and the regulator end (pressure relief). Since doing this and replacing the regulator, my refrigerator has performed much better this summer than last summer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply