Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEco-diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eco-diesel
    Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:20pm
Yes, everyone knows the cost of a diesel power truck is much more up front and the mpg is less then gasoline. Yet here is the thing a properly cared for diesel engine will last way, way, WAY beyond a gas engine and it will out pull it too. Any question about that then just ask yourself why they don't put gasoline engines in tractor trailers and buses? If you don't mind paying the premium and you plan on keeping a truck or car until the body falls off, plus you want a vehicle that will out pull everything on the road then diesel is the way to go. Though I have to disagree with Richand Cindy in that I've never heard of when you change oil in a diesel engine that "they add oil drain and repeat three times" that doesn't make sense! Yes it cost more for an oil change because the engine holds more oil and the filter is usually more expensive.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 4:30pm
Hmmm, I have never seen anybody value a truck by a good diesel. They value by whole package. Not arguing the longevity of diesels, albeit they are considerably more to operate and the length of serviceable time is what it takes to recoup the initial expense. End of the day, a really crappy truck with a really good diesel, is a really crappy truck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 6:29pm
I purchased trucks for a company years ago and an engineer developed a formula to help decide if diesel was the right choice.  These were 3/4 on pickups that made deliveries and pickups within a 200 mile radius.  No trailer pulling.  The main decision point was miles driven per year.  If it exceeded 50,000 then diesel was the choice.  They were traded every five years.

This is far different duty that my personal truck.  If there was less up front premium with a diesel I would like one, but I am not sure I could build the economic justification.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 6:03am
 Diesel can't be justified on fuel economy alone. Especially if it's going to be the daily driver as well. A diesel holds the advantage for towing because of the high torque output at lower RPM's. This is why they last a long time and get decent fuel economy. If a gas engine was also kept at low RPM's it would get good fuel economy. Fewer RPM's, less fuel used.

Modern diesels have many more sophisticated components that might fail compared to older diesel designs. Piezo Injectors, EGR Valves (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF), Urea Injection- Diesel Emissions Fluid (DEF), all are somewhat modern technologies used for emissions. These are the problem areas for modern diesels. 

That said, I really like my diesel SUV. There's nothing else like it, 4 doors, storage, AWD, AISIN 8 speed, strong engine, good towing, good fuel economy, and so far, not too many issues:

Water pump leak - warranty (6 hours)
AdBlue Tank Heater- Warranty, then again replaced under warranty with a new heater design (3 hours)
Oil Leak Front crankshaft seal - warranty (3 hours)
Brakes Replaces (76,XXX miles)- Only $600 for OE rotors and pads and sensors, self installed

Still have a couple years warranty left on powertrain. Hoping to see 10 years of service until deciding on replacement or just semi-retiring the SUV, and buying a small daily driver, keeping the SUV for towing duties and winter snow driving.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Diesel can't be justified on fuel economy alone. Especially if it's going to be the daily driver as well. A diesel holds the advantage for towing because of the high torque output at lower RPM's. This is why they last a long time and get decent fuel economy. If a gas engine was also kept at low RPM's it would get good fuel economy. Fewer RPM's, less fuel used.
Part of the reason for diesel engine longevity is because of the crank/connecting rod/piston fortification required to deal with the rather high compression ratios used in diesel engines. If you look closely at the Ford EcoBoost engines, you will note that they have been "beefed up" in those areas. Of particular note is that they use 6-bolt main journals. 2-bolt are "standard" in gas engines, and 4 are "performance" modifications, 6 are almost unheard of in a gas engine. You will find that 4-bolt are common in diesel, with higher-end diesels sometimes have 6-bolt. You will also note that EcoBoost (turbo charged gas engines) produce almost 100% of their torque at only 2000 RPM, and are producing 90% of max at only 1700 RPM. That torque curve is virtually flat all the way to redline.That used to be diesel territory, but is one reason why EcoBoost engines are so great for towing.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
Interesting thread and its sparked an interest in me learning more about diesel motors that were used in buses and RV's such as the old Cat 3028 and Detroit Diesel's 6V92 and 8v92. Though what has really caught my interest and completely confuses me is what is the best late model diesel pickup truck sold today? Fords Power Stroke, Chevy Duramax, or the Dodge Cummings and what size engine? Now I don't want to start a flame war but it seems we have some members here that are much more knowledgeable then I that can enlighten me and we can have a informed discussion. So what's your opinion as to the best truck and why?
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Interesting thread and its sparked an interest in me learning more about diesel motors that were used in buses and RV's such as the old Cat 3028 and Detroit Diesel's 6V92 and 8v92. Though what has really caught my interest and completely confuses me is what is the best late model diesel pickup truck sold today? Fords Power Stroke, Chevy Duramax, or the Dodge Cummings and what size engine? Now I don't want to start a flame war but it seems we have some members here that are much more knowledgeable then I that can enlighten me and we can have a informed discussion. So what's your opinion as to the best truck and why?
Those are all good these days. The early GM diesels were "converted" gas engines that did not last long because of the aforementioned issues with the weak lower end (crank/connecting rods/pistons) that they grew out of. I believe those issues have all been worked out. I have yet to see a "bad Cummins".

That said, I think diesel is headed for a long, slow decline in popularity. After the VW (and other Mfgs) "cheating" scandals, it's clear that diesel fuel has a big problem in the long term. Perhaps not as bad as coal, but not far behind. One of the issues is sulfur content of diesel (note that most US diesels aren't sold in Mexico because of their high sulfur content diesel fuel). Mexico may eventually fix that issue, but I think the handwriting is on the wall long term.

Does diesel have 5, 10, or 15 years? I don't know. I think 15 years is probably as good a guess as any, but I'm not placing any bets.
bp
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:29pm
GlueGuy you might be right that diesels will end up going the way of the dinosaur because of EPA controls and their high cost. It kind of blows my mind to see someone fork out 45 to 65K or more for a diesel powered pickup and 10 year old plus used models going for what the owners paid new. Yet new diesels trucks are still selling like hot cakes! Yes, they are a heck of allot of money to put out front new but I still see 20 year old and older diesel pickup trucks on the road. Now how many 20 year old plus gas pickup trucks do you see as daily drivers, not many!  
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by DavMar

GlueGuy you might be right that diesels will end up going the way of the dinosaur because of EPA controls and their high cost. It kind of blows my mind to see someone fork out 45 to 65K or more for a diesel powered pickup and 10 year old plus used models going for what the owners paid new. Yet new diesels trucks are still selling like hot cakes! Yes, they are a heck of allot of money to put out front new but I still see 20 year old and older diesel pickup trucks on the road. Now how many 20 year old plus gas pickup trucks do you see as daily drivers, not many!
Funny. I sold my 20-year old Honda Accord with I don't know how many miles on it. Our old 1985 Nissan King Cab is still chugging along with its 2.4L gas engine. That's 33 years and counting.
bp
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:43pm
I had a 1993 Silverado 4X4 with 342K miles on it. I still own a 1976 Chevy, runs everyday. My TV is a 2006 Chevy, 146K. Like Glueguy, I have owned a ton of gassers that have lasted forever. Anybody want to talk the old Toyotas with the 22R? I had two of them that ran 300K plus. My experience is diesels do have longevity but not to the point I would prefer them over gassers. As I said there's a total vehicle quality issue. A really great diesel in a really crappy truck doesn't convince me I need a diesel.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>