R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSubjective Mod Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subjective Mod Question
    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:19pm

Looking through this forum alone, let alone others, there is a mind boggling number of mods. The wonderful people who share their expertise are invaluable. So here is what I'm wondering. What mods do you consider to be vital?

For example, one of my best friends works for Les Schwab Tire Center (a PNW tire shop). He says that as soon as I pick up my R Pod, bring it straight to the shop so I can get "good tires."

There have been many posts all over about black water drain pipes coming loose. Should I just re-enforce it right from the get go?

Lot's of power converter/inverter problems, should I just replace the stock item?

If money was no object, what are your most critical and/or preemptive mods?

I know that many people buy their pods and have fun straight away, I just like being prepared :)
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:02am
Eight seasons in the bag and no problems with the drainpipes.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 4:11am
Bradywan, maybe others can but I can't think of anything that should be expected to fail or fall off the trailer on your first trip. If FR did that they would be inundated with warranty claims. I say should because it would be surprising if there weren't defects that you'll be bringing back to your dealer for warranty repair. But if you start making mods immediately it creates an excuse to void the warranty on those items. 

Maybe the battery charger, tires, and drain line hangars aren't the highest quality ever put on a trailer but many folks go many years without problems. Remember that you don't normally hear about things that didn't break on the forums.  I have a 2015 and still have the original tires and my charger works fine. My drain line hangars both broke though. I'll replace the tires soon but I don't intend to fool with the charger unless there is a problem with it. A lot depends on where you live and how you use the trailer. 

I suggest you just look it over carefully before completing your purchase and if everything isn't to your satisfaction get them to correct it before taking delivery.  Then enjoy for a couple of trips after which you'll have gotten most of your initial warranty issues out of the way. You'll also have a much better idea what you want to change and what you don't. 

Instead focus your initial purchases on accessories you know you want or need to have that don't come standard with the trailer. There are lots of threads on those here. Some of those are dealer installed items so can be negotiating points with the dealer prior to purchase. For example, you might already know you will be boondocking and want a dual battery setup, so why take delivery with one battery?  See if you can get the dealer to do that for you at no or low extra charge rather than take delivery of something you know you'll just have to change anyway. Or at least remove and deduct the single battery from the trailer so you can install what you want. Or maybe get a brake controller or weight distribution hitch. Never hurts to start by asking for more than you expect to get. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:06am
I completely support getting tires immediately. Which tires, thats debatable. I chose Carlisle Radial trail load range D tires. Some prefer goodyear endurance, I don't personally like goodyear from some bad tires several years back. The drain pipe problem is real, depending on model. On a 172 and one other model, the black and grey pipe help support each other, and are almost exempt from this issue. If you have the single pipe for each, I would reinforce it. Simply adding a slightly thicker piece of strapping would be strong enough to solve this. I can't understand WHY forest river wouldn't make this 20 cent fix. I personally made 4 mods immediately upon getting my pod. First as I said was tires.  Second I recommend a progressive EMSHW30C Surge protector, about 250 bucks, dont buy cheap surge only units, get EMS.  Third I put an rvlock keyless entry doorlock. I hate carrying keys especially if i'm going to the beach, or pool, also if my daughter gets there at a different time than us, she can get right in, no " meet me here at 7:00 " nonsense. Fourth, I put a vent cover on, I always leave my vent open, and usually the fan on. I don't want to worry about if it rains, or forgetting to close it before going down the highway.  Along with keyless door lock, i did replace the outside storage door locks as well. From the supplied locks, that every single person in the campground has the same key to, (ch751 i think) to the combi-cam keyless combination locks. If I find a keyless hitch pin, thats next. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:08am
I would totally agree with the above thoughts.

We are on our second pod.  We bought the first one(2009 173) used and enjoyed it for 6 years. We never had any real problems. We bought the second one(2015 179) used and have also had no problems. We have done a lot of mods on both pods.  Most of the mods have been because I like to do the work and like to make the pod"more personal" and more suitable to our style of travel/camping. I am a retired guy with a nice workshop and lots of time and tools.  My brother says that the pod mods are just another hobby.

Enjoy your pod and use it.  You will soon discover what you want to do and what will make it more fun, easier and better for your style.  the pod has good systems, good equipment and is a very good camper to begin with.  You can certainly make it better, but that is not always necessary.
enjoy and safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:33am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I completely support getting tires immediately. 

Like early Japanese stuff, early Chinese stuff has been, to be charitable, needing improvement. However, now I believe (opinion) that their general quality is satisfactory. Now, I believe that if tires fail, the first villain to look at is the one in the mirror because of low tire pressure or excessive speed. I emphasize, this is pure opinion.

Some of us may know that as much as possible, I NEVER buy Chinese stuff, but that is my political decision - they remind me of Hitler pre-Munich, and this is not based on their quality, or lack of such.
Bradywan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 10:32am
I really appreciate all the replies. Like I said, I’m sure I can go buy my pod right off the lot and have fun :) I guess I’m just over preparing. Happy to be in this community, and loving this website.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 11:33am
I agree (mostly) with the other posters here. Our first several trips we did no mods whatever. No problems. I think the first mod we did was adding the clevis hangers for the dump tubes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 1:51pm
What mods have to be done?  None.  Camp with it and decide what you want to change for your camping pleasure.  Then mod accordingly.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>