R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddometic refrig while traveling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dometic refrig while traveling
    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:17pm
Unfortunately, a few days ago, mine was still working. It sold right before I realized I needed a new one. That's the breaks!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by riotkayak284

Just had mine replaced.... It took from Feb to last week for it to come in.... Huge backorder from Dometic.

You should have ordered it from me.  Had a brand new one for sale in the campers flea market section for the past few months.  Just sold it 2 days ago for $ 450.  A great deal !Smile
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:21am
Just had mine replaced.... It took from Feb to last week for it to come in.... Huge backorder from Dometic.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:46pm
Yes, we did have the cooler with us. I noticed it getting warmer and warmer. I did not look at the flame when I shut it off. I cleaned the orifice and when I went to restart it, then it was dead. It has power on AC and DC (I do know enough to check those). Propane is sufficient also. I'm afraid the electronics went bad on me. Given the age, a replacement is probably the best option. That will have to wait until we get home.

As stated, I did have the FPSC cooler. I purchased a Lifetime ice cooler which is a cheap Yeti knock-off, but at a much more reasonable price.  Right now, we are at our daughter's house so we are just using the FPSC cooler until we leave. Since the FPSC cooler is energy efficient and can keep proper temps, even in a hot environment, it was holding our meats and other really perishable items with the refrigerator holding those not needing as much temperature stability. The ice chest is an okay substitute, but things do need to be sealed so they won't fill up with water as the ice melts.

For now, the refrigerator has become additional pantry space since it won't be able to be used for cold things.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:30pm
Stephen, did you have backup cooler when it happened? Mine (propane side) pooped out while boon docking several years ago in Maine. About half way through a 10 day trip. I was lucky I had a big cooler with us and could get ice. It hasn't happened since, but now I never travel without a cooler. We're foodies.

I'll be curious what you come up with.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Dometic also sells a Danfoss based 2 way fridge that is very close in volume to the ones in our rPods. Looks like its about 3 inches shorter (doesn't have that control panel on top) slightly shallower, but about an inch wider. Not sure if it could be made to fit or not, but if anyone wants to research it further I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. 

http://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/CRX-Black-Flush-and-Space-Saver-Models/CRX-1110U-F.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwZoBVHZJgtyujtuVtW4aKuvBPp63IYkePXtIVNpfWoKO1diiOfNxXxoCF78QAvD_BwE
This topic is a bit old, but it has suddenly become current for me. We are traveling, and our RM-8501 has totally failed. No lights, no sounds, nothing!

Has anyone replaced the Dometic RM-8501 with one of these? If so, how well did it fit? If not, what are other models people have tried successfully? We have the Free Piston Sterling Cooler working and it, plus an additional small Lifetime Ice Chest are providing for refrigeration needs for the remainder of our trip. However, there is no freezer capability.

I like the idea of the Dometic CRX or other equivalent refrigerators if there is one that will fit the space with minimal modification. I don't know if I want to go with another absorption refrigerator given the issues I and others have had with them. Have the compressor models proven to be reliable? If so, that may be the way I will go.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 6:19am
I think the reasons to consider changing to a Danfoss compressor electric fridge are:

If you want to stop using propane for refrigeration while boondocking and use solar instead.
Works like a smaller version of your household fridge, so:
 Better temperature control 
 Better cool down capacity (but using more electricity)
 Better cooling in hot climates (but using more electricity)
Probable longer life (absorption fridges eventually corrode internally and leak ammonia coolant)
Aren't sensitive to being kept level
If you are afraid of driving with propane on and also afraid of forgetting to change from 12V to propane at your destination and draining your house batteries. 

But if like most people you're happy with what came with your rPod then there's no reason to change. 

Personally, I'll consider changing over if I still have my rPod when its refrigerator fails.  I've had two other RV's where the absorption fridge failed, one was about 15 years old and the other about 8. 10 years seems to be a pretty common life expectancy. They're not cheap.  Levelling whenever you stop for any length of time helps.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 5:47am
Coming in late on this but propane only since our purchase in 2011, well over 27,000 miles logged and no problems encountered.  Only time we don't use propane is if we happen to be at a campground that offers electric.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:52am
Looks like the smaller Norcold dual 12V/120V fridges now use the Danfoss BD series compressors. Danfoss has been making them for decades and they have a very good reputation, especially in marine applications where many folks don't like propane due to ventilation issues.

They are vapor compression cycle so much more energy efficient and temp stable than the absorption type RV fridges we have now, probably about 4X more efficient. Downsides are smaller interior volume and increased electric demand vs using propane as the energy source. Looks like TAB also offers a larger standard RV absorption cycle fridge as well. 

Dometic also sells a Danfoss based 2 way fridge that is very close in volume to the ones in our rPods. Looks like its about 3 inches shorter (doesn't have that control panel on top) slightly shallower, but about an inch wider. Not sure if it could be made to fit or not, but if anyone wants to research it further I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. 

http://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/CRX-Black-Flush-and-Space-Saver-Models/CRX-1110U-F.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwZoBVHZJgtyujtuVtW4aKuvBPp63IYkePXtIVNpfWoKO1diiOfNxXxoCF78QAvD_BwE
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

The T@B campers coming out now the fridge only runs on battery. Even when you are on shore power, that charges the battery only from what my dealer told me. Not sure how great that works. But it will end this argument if all manufacturers do this.
If it is a Danfoss compressor refrigerator or a Free Piston Sterling Cooler compressor, then it should be quite energy efficient. If it is like the 12V heater in the absorption refrigerators, then it is an energy hog. The only way I could see this work is if it would be the former rather than the latter scenario.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>