R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddometic refrig while traveling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dometic refrig while traveling
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 2:17pm
The T@B campers coming out now the fridge only runs on battery. Even when you are on shore power, that charges the battery only from what my dealer told me. Not sure how great that works. But it will end this argument if all manufacturers do this.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:05pm
I hope not. The battery doesn’t keep it as cold as propane. Plus, it might wear out the battery sooner if more was required of it.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 3:22pm
My fridge temp guage does not support propane is colder. I can't disagree an uncharged battery is an issue, but that is another issue.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:54pm
I had much the same concerns, but after a 5 day trip to northern New Mexico at ~ 9,600 feet and no refrigerator (Dometic only guarantees lighting less than 5,500 feet) on our next 3 week trip through Colorado, Arizona and Utah I ran it continuously and no problems.  I did park at gas stations so that my 179 rear end was away from any pumps.  I have a 20lb tank and replaced 2.8 gals after day 15 on the road.  I also travel with a 60 liter ice chest, a block of ice and a bag of ice cubes just in case.  also, that refrigerator is not the largest one out there so extra storage of cold items like milk, juice or beer is worth it.

in short I have switched camps to the propane "On" side.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:09pm
Andy and all. I know this is a very active post. I personally have been anti traveling with propane ON. First let me say I don't think anyone is going to catch fire going down the road as has been suggested. I don't think anybody is going to catch fire at a gas station. I do think the there is the off chance of an accident involving your TV and TT exists. And if it does there's a safety factor in that you have an open propane line. So my only question and concern is what shuts that propane off in the event of something happening, something that opens that propane line with other issues. Maybe I'm just a fatalist, maybe just a goofball, I won't address it anymore. As I have said I survived a propane incident. It's the one time event that changes life not the hundred times nothing happened. I don't want change the world views, and when the worst scenario happens there is no safety factor to an open propane source. Period.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:19pm
Mike, with a propain tank the gas feed shuts off sometimes even if you open the valve to fast.  In an accident the supply will shut off unless the hit is so hard it ruptures the tank.  Then it hardly matters if the tank is open or not.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm
Thanks Keith. I appreciate that info. Good point.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

The T@B campers coming out now the fridge only runs on battery. Even when you are on shore power, that charges the battery only from what my dealer told me. Not sure how great that works. But it will end this argument if all manufacturers do this.
If it is a Danfoss compressor refrigerator or a Free Piston Sterling Cooler compressor, then it should be quite energy efficient. If it is like the 12V heater in the absorption refrigerators, then it is an energy hog. The only way I could see this work is if it would be the former rather than the latter scenario.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:52am
Looks like the smaller Norcold dual 12V/120V fridges now use the Danfoss BD series compressors. Danfoss has been making them for decades and they have a very good reputation, especially in marine applications where many folks don't like propane due to ventilation issues.

They are vapor compression cycle so much more energy efficient and temp stable than the absorption type RV fridges we have now, probably about 4X more efficient. Downsides are smaller interior volume and increased electric demand vs using propane as the energy source. Looks like TAB also offers a larger standard RV absorption cycle fridge as well. 

Dometic also sells a Danfoss based 2 way fridge that is very close in volume to the ones in our rPods. Looks like its about 3 inches shorter (doesn't have that control panel on top) slightly shallower, but about an inch wider. Not sure if it could be made to fit or not, but if anyone wants to research it further I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. 

http://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/CRX-Black-Flush-and-Space-Saver-Models/CRX-1110U-F.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwZoBVHZJgtyujtuVtW4aKuvBPp63IYkePXtIVNpfWoKO1diiOfNxXxoCF78QAvD_BwE
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 5:47am
Coming in late on this but propane only since our purchase in 2011, well over 27,000 miles logged and no problems encountered.  Only time we don't use propane is if we happen to be at a campground that offers electric.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>