R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Disappointing Surprise with the Water Heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Disappointing Surprise with the Water Heater
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:52am
When we bought our used 2009 R-Pod the dealer took us through the systems and showed us how everything was supposed to work.  Unfortunately, the sales person didn’t know his socks from his skivvies when it comes to how the hot water heater worked.  He told me that the switch in the galley operated the hot water heater whether on gas or electricity.  Being an utter neophyte when it came to travel trailers, I accepted what he said and never gave it another thought.  

Since almost all of our camping is in national forest camp grounds we’ve always used gas to heat the water the few times when we wanted hot water.  On the rare occasions when we stayed in RV parks, I never bothered with hot water since they had nice hot showers with an unlimited supply.  

Last winter I started noticing some weird electrical issues popping up, such as tripping the GFI on one of our garage plugs when we plugged the trailer into a 20-amp plug. The #5 breaker (unlabeled) also would trip from time to time.  Again, since we didn’t use AC much while traveling, I didn’t pay adequate attention to these warning signs.

Finally, I decided to try to trace down what was going on.  I discovered that the #5 breaker on a 172 is for the water heater circuit.  I looked in the archives and found that there was a switch hidden behind some gas piping in the outside part of the water heater. Further checking in the archives revealed that this was how one turned on and off the electric heating element and, as furpod had noted in one of the posts, the switch at the galley is only for gas.  I looked at my switch. It was on. I realized that every time I had plugged in the trailer to AC, I was powering up the #5 circuit.  Most assuredly, my heating element was toast.

I called FR and learned that in the newer models there is a second switch inside the trailer for the water heater.  They assured me that on my model there was one under the galley counter.  I looked. It wasn’t there.  I traced the Romex from the water heater and it went straight to the breaker panel.  I went back and forth with FR and finally, one of the old timers confirmed that the only switch for the hot water heater was the one outside.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the manual.

Now, I have installed a second switch inside the trailer next to the hot water heater with a protector so it can’t be accidentally turned on.  I replaced the heating element and now have electrically heated water along with the gas.  I leave the outside switch in the water heater compartment permanently on and can turn the heating element on and off from inside the trailer; and only when I am absolutely sure the tank is full.  

Moral of the story: Don’t depend on dealers to tell you what you need to know.   Chances are they don’t know squat.  If you own an older R-Pod you may want to check out the water heater switch situation, so you don’t make the same mistake I did.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:07am
I totally agree with you....the information here on this forum is much better than any dealer.  I learned about this switch myself here.  I won't have to winterize, but a water question.  if the fresh water tank has been filled, and hot water tap at the sink turned on, the hot water tank fills.  correct?  then the only way to drain it - the hot water tank - is how?  I don't think it drains when you drain the fresh water tank? 
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:28am
If the hot water tank has been drained, you need to refill it either using the pump drawing water from the 30 gal. fresh water tank or from city water.  My practice to ensure the water heater tank is full is to turn on the not water valve at the galley and let it run until there is a nice steady stream of hot water with no bubbles, air, or spurting. 

When I spoke with the FR rep, I was told that newer R-Pods have a switch in the shower for hot water.  My understanding was that it was in the circuit for the electric heating element and allowed it to be controlled from the inside of the trailer, but having said that, I'd look further into it to make sure that it really controls the electric heating element.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm
My 2015 178 has the CB and the outside switch. I don't engage CB until I am hooked up and ensure there is water in the heater. I turn on outside switch when setting up.

Easiest way to drain (when winterizing) is relieve pressure and remove anode rod. You want to clean the tank anyway.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:19pm
When I pulled out the switch on the outside back of the water heater to test if it was still good, I was not impressed with the quality.  It looks like it's not a switch that you want to use a lot.  I put a regular household switch in the space where the water heater is located that interrupts the conductor from the circuit breakers to the water heater. Thus, it de-powers the hot water heater completely as would the breaker, giving a double redundant protection not counting the flimsy switch on the water heater.  

I plan to flip the water heater switch a couple times a year just to "clean" the contacts, but will not be using it to turn the water heater off and on.  

I'm still tryin to understand why they didn't put an easily accessible switch for electric hot water inside the older trailers and why they didn't even mention the switch on the back of the water heater on the outside.  I think I'll figure out the meaning of life and why the Higgs Boson particles exist before I figure out the logic of FR on the electric water heater controls.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:24pm
in our 2019 190, the only inside switch is on the panel in the bath which is to use propane.  the electric switch is outside on the water heater.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:31pm
Then FR is as confused as ever.  They said it controlled the electric heat element.  Yikes! 

It cost me (repurposing stuff around the house, of course) less than $2 dollars for the switch, the box, 2 wire nuts, the switch plate, a piece of plumber's tape for the switch guard, and about a foot of scrap 12 awg, a little piece of wood for a spacer, and 4 screws to complete the modification.  Why in heaven's name do they expect you to go out into a rainy, stormy night to open the water heater access door and grope around trying to find the little hidden switch?  It would cost them even less to put an electric control switch inside and properly label it. 
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:45pm
What Billy Bob said is correct.  The only electrical heating element switch for the water heater is outside.  The switch in the bathroom is for gas only.  (On the new 190).
Swampfox
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm
Billy Bob and Woodmeister, you do also have a CB for the water heater correct? Two electric controls and 1 propane, mine has, the propane control is on the same panel as the slide switch.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:03pm
I think the reference to CB is circuit breaker?  They're not really intended to function as a regular switch are they?  FR didn't say anything to be regarding using the circuit breaker as an alternative for a regular on/off switch.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>