R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlumbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:23am
So I winterized the pod yesterday. As I emptied out the final water in the fresh tank and purged the lines before blowing out, I turned on the water in the bathroom sink and let it run till it stopped. I went outside and noticed water dripping from my grey tank. As I looked at it, it seemed like it was coming from above, and running down. I went inside and immediately remove the small access cover below the door. I could see water dripping, and the water was off for a few minutes by then. The water comes out from the pipe (trap) right under the sink, and "maybe" from the shower drain. Hard to say if that drip might have been related to the sink leak. I think the pipe underneath was actually no good right from day one. I think i can see what looks like sawzall blade tooth marks on the pipe, which was a problem i had with my black tank flush when i first bought it. I already am fighting a leak from the kitchen sink dripping into the draws under it, and now this. I don't know if I can get my dealer to get forest river to fix this. I am going to try. If not, I think I might just remove the bath sink. I think that would solve atleast one problem? I'm really not feeling to good about the pod today. What do you think?
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:29am
A typical Forest rive sloppy job. On my 172 two of the three p-traps had never been tightened. They're difficult to get to and you may have to enlarge the access holes, especially the shower sink, to get them tight. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm
Actually i wish tightening was the problem. I believe they cut thru the pipe in the bath sink, but its been 2 years and i fear they won't cover it. I rarely use the bath sink, so I never noticed. The kitchen sink is just plain a piss poor job in general. The piping doesn't fit right, and it was just forced in, so the trap sits at an angle to the drain pipe and it just can't seal, and barely reaches the down spout pipe from the drain. I'm going to have to pull the drawers out in order to redo this whole thing. If I have to I guess I could remove the sink like others have done.  It can't leak if I totally cap it off. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm
If you have a small cut in the drain line and can reach it without tearing things apart you might try some of that drain pipe sealing wrap. The stuff sticks to itself really though well so you have to be able to get it in there without it getting folded up. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:17pm
I put some good glue on it and for the moment, it isn't leaking. I also wrestled the connection tighter (barely) so i'll see how that goes in the spring. I'm going to check out all the plumbing in the spring and deal with whatever i need to do to fix it. I do not want wet floors. I might need to repipe under the kitchen sink, i dont see that ever not leaking, it was put together very shoddy. I'm shocked, right 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm
Yeah, big surprise....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:16am
I thought I was the only one that has found FR does friday work every day.  I went on my 4th trip and also found water on the floor and in the drawers. When you are camping and have to remove all the contents from the drawers to tighten plumbing is a real pain. Then I had to try drying the drawers before any damage was done.  I already have found on my 172 a fitting on the shower faucet leaking.  Had to make the hole larger, cut out old plastic fittings and replace them with brass and additional piping.  Its a dirty shame a guy has to pack pipe, cutter, fittings, crimps and crimper.  So how do I get to the shower sink and floor drains?  Anyone have pictures?  Thanks, Tom
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:26am
I agree it is a shame that any poor work leaves the factory.  I know that it is not the norm and am sorry you had to deal with it.  I had one leak in the seven years of camping in our 177, and it was easily fixed: a leak in a fitting by the water heater. 

Considering the stress on all systems when traveling inspection/tightening of the plumbing fittings is a normal part of RV ownership.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply