This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 2:08pm
Agree with these pros and cons.  There are more of each that can be added.  This forum is a great place to ask questions and get tips for repairs, maintenance and mods.  Even a novice can do many of them.  

YOLO!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 2:33pm
Casitas have a loyal following and by all accounts are well constructed. They hold their value well. As others have said they are tight inside. But if that works for you then great, and being near the factory is a big plus. Another one with a good reputation for quality you might want to look at is NuCamp. And of course there's Airstream. 

OTOH all these trailers use more or less the same appliances and systems as everyone else does, so things will inevitably break and they will take work to maintain. An RV is really a tiny house that gets shaken and bounced around all the time. They are all going to have maintenance and repairs to do, just the nature of the beast. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm
As long as you're looking at fiberglass shell campers like the Casita, you might also look at the Scamp (https://www.scamptrailers.com). They have small/medium/large options (13', 16' and 19'). The 19' is a very light weight fifth wheel configuration. Instead of going to Texas, you would have to go to Minnesota (although they will deliver as an option). We visited the Scamp factory in Minnesota, and it appeared to be a quality operation.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:38pm
Or you could go to Tennessee..

That said.. ANY camper, pool, boat, plane, etc, isn't an "investment" monetarily. They are a money pit. All of them. Doesn't matter if you like them or not. They all devour expendable cash, sometimes at an alarming rate.

If you don't already enjoy, or want the "lifestyle" and traveling freedom of "camping", then honestly, it isn't for you if money matters.

A new, small TT is going to cost, ready to camp, between $20K and $70K.. You can stay in a lot of Holiday Inns for that..

But.. if sleeping in your own bed, fixing your own meals, being off the beaten path, hiking, watching sunrises and sunsets, communing with nature, etc etc are what you want to do with your time and energy.. then it's a nobrainer, and only money.
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 5:00pm
+1
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 5:04pm
You know, that's a very good point.  Obviously my decision cannot be based on the financial side of it so much.  It would be foolish to buy something more than what I will need or use, of course, but if I take this step, it has to be without the fear of, essentially, losing money...because I'm going to.  I'm about to turn 58 and will be retiring in 4 years.  I have great memories of the times when i was young that our family spent camping in a pop-up Coleman Brandywine.  My kids are grown and gone and I just think it would be nice to pull my trailer up in a little campground or state park in South Dakota, Texas or Pennsylvania and enjoy.  It probably isn't a good idea if I'm concerned about having to stick to a tight budget or if I don't look forward to the prospects of having to maintain a trailer.  Thanks for the perspective.
Go Royals!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:14pm
I agree with Furpod, a camper is not a money saving or earning adventure, you got to want to do it. I have owned many RVs, I like the Pod. I didn't buy it until after retirement and I do all it requires on my own, from what I learned from prior RVs. To me it is kind of a hobby now, we enjoy the times we take it out. We take ours to local campgrounds here in TN, that's fine with me, I like to fish like I did when I was a kid. The wife and pets like the Pod and it is a nice quiet nights rest, peaceful. We are not boondockers, we hook up and relax. We camp good and enjoy the experience. We din't spend that much and we don't expect much. Warm and dry.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:45pm
I would probably say that over half of our time in our RP179 has been at places without hookups. These involve truck stops, Walmarts, and a Vermont State Park. We don't turn down connections if they are available. We travel with our R-Pod and in the time we have owned it (since December, 2015) we have probably put over 30,000 miles on it.

The best thing is sleeping in our own bed. We don't cook as much as I thought we would when we are on the road, but when we are stopped for any length of time, we do more cooking. Much of that is outdoors on a Coleman Grill-Stove which keep the cooking fumes outside. We also carry an induction cooktop which comes in very handy when we do have shore power available or when I take the time to fire up the generator if we don't. We also have seen much of this country at ground level. That is something that is priceless.

We are both in our 60s. My thought is that it was worth doing rather than looking back and wishing we had done this. Camping was part my childhood (and also my wife's). We have camped in tents when we were younger. It got too difficult as the aches and pains of arthritis and consequences of injuries sustained while we were young have caught up with us. The R-Pod is comfortable and roomy. I wanted a Casita, but got scammed from a Craigslist post. While I still don't like that we sustained a loss there, I am happy we got our RP179. It has been a good fit for the two of us. We may get tempted by the new models (such as the 195) coming out, but I have done a lot of customizing to our 179 (see link in signature) and have some more modifications that will probably be done this winter after we get it back from the dealer where it is getting some service done. It would be hard giving those up. We are fortunate enough to be able to park our R-Pod in our driveway. It is very handy to have it there when I want to do some modifications.

Only you can decide what is right for you. You may not save much by having a small trailer such as an R-Pod, but the journey is part of the adventure. Flying and staying in motels might be cheaper, but then we would have missed out on many of the memories we have made.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Royal1585 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
Good stuff from the gentlemen from Tennessee and North Carolina.  I am a Revolutionary War buff and have spent time visiting Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, etc, but all in hotels....which was fine..no worries about much other than to check out and move on.  I just feel I would like the idea of plopping a trailer near Valley Forge or Mt. Vernon or Yorktown and taking it all in.  I appreciate your feedback.  
Go Royals!
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:51pm
Not much to add to the pros and cons, others covered well already. It will allow you to do things camping that you might not otherwise get to experience if in motels - and you always have beer with you!

I owned a Casita and they are quality rigs. If you search carefully and dont mind driving to pick one up (we traveled two days to get ours) you can find a nice used rig. We got one for $14.5K, sold it for the same amount a year later (I am 6'1" lol). Now happily towing an Rpod. One advantage you have is already owing a towing vehicle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>