R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle - 2015 Toyota Highlander LEPlus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle - 2015 Toyota Highlander LEPlus
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:41am
mcarter, the LEplus trim level comes with the V6. And yes you must have the V6  to get the 5000 lb rating, but doxielover's car is still only rated at 2000 lbs because no tow package. I know you're searching for something more to explain the 2000 vs 5000 lbs butin this case its really just the tow package, same as with Jeep, and probably most of the other makes. 

lostagain, the verbal misrepresentation argument is just a price negotiating tool, not something you can litigate. Getting things written into the sales contract is the way to go, for sure. These guys know that and will fight that tooth and nail. When I bought my used Highlander I did my mechanical inspection and noted that the coolant level was low, so I insisted that they repair that if it turned out to be a real problem. I had to start walking out the door to get that written in, and I had to write the language myself. Luckily there was no problem so I didn't have to try to enforce that contract clause...

The best way is to verify everything you think is important yourself prior to completing the deal. Just follow this sage old advice: is he (or she) a salesperson? Is his (or her) mouth moving? Then he (or she) is lying... And just walk out if you don't like the deal, you're not going to hurt their feelings. Most of the time they'll follow you out and drag you back in, their livelihood depends on their making sales. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
doxielover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:34am
Yes I have the 6 cylinder motor.
Diana
Soon to be R-Pod owner
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:25am
+1 to what lostagain says. Anything, ANYTHING that a sales person says without written backup becomes hearsay in a court of law or even a warranty claim. So when you hear something that the sales person says in the form of capability or whatever, make a note of it, and make sure it is mentioned in the sales documentation.

I would add, that regardless of what anyone says, I would never try to tow with a front-wheel-drive vehicle unless it was a light utility trailer or some such.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:25am
And if a sales person makes a representation about some characteristic or quality of the vehicle that's important to you, such as towing capacity, especially if you have suspicions that it may be, well let's say, "less than correct," note it in the sales contract.  Remember, the contract supersedes everything the sales person says, as is specifically stated in practically every vehicle sales contract, so his/her puffery is nothing more than blue sky.  To prove fraud in the inducement to enter into a contract and void it would cost you more than the price of the vehicle.

I've noticed in the last couple years a trend in business to be less and less honest.  What we call in the legal biz "sharp practices" (i.e. cheating) is getting more and more common and the recourse you have is getting less and less.  This is true with even the large companies that used to value their reputations. Now they just say tough luck, we're a big company and we can do what ever we want to you.  Few have the resources to fight them. We are returning to the days of Caveat Emptor, so watch out.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:19am
Looking at Toyota sites, it appears the 5K tow capacity is linked to the 3.5L motor. That makes sense to me. The tow capacity remains constant for AWD and FWD, and is considerably less with the 4 cyl motor. Acknowledge the tow package as discussed. Seems to be standard in the mid size SUV market. My Hyundai SUV has an increased tow capacity with the 3.5L motor. I imagine Jeep does something similar. Doxielover - do you have a 3.5L motor?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 4:56am
doxielover, so you never have to find out the hard way again that a salesperson/owner has misrepresented a vehicle to you, here's a little tip: write down the VIN. It will be on the paperwork but also you can confirm that the same number is on the driver's door sticker or on the front of the dash where it meets the windshield on the driver's side. Call the parts department of any dealer for that make, read them the VIN, and they will be able to look up exactly what came from the factory on that vehicle. Saves a lot of time too when you're shopping for vehicles outside of your local area. Dealer or owner installed options won't show up of course. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 3:44am
doxielover, sorry for your dillemma, and even more sorry that we're causing you more stress with our little internal forum debates. 

You'll find that everyone has their favorite tow vehicle, its kind of like sports teams. Heck, we even like to argue about the pros and cons of rDomes on here. 

Despite some of the opinions expressed here, plenty of folks happily tow rPods with Highlanders and similar vehicles. Others wouldn't tow a tiny yard trailer with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton pickup. And most folks wind up changing vehicles as they gain experience, so what you're going through is not that unusual. 

So please keep plodding forward, you'll get to a good place in the end.  My advice when you are in discussions with your dealer is to focus on the misleading sales pitch you got regarding tow rating of your Highlander, rather than the AWD. Not that you don't want the AWD,  but that will likely come just because a FWD Highlander with the 5000 lb tow package is going to be a rare bird. If in the end they offer to find you a FWD one, THEN tell them you want the AWD as well. 

Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:11pm
All this makes me glad I'm plugging away with my little old Dodge Dakota.  Nice and stable on the road, enough power to make it up the steepest of hills (if I take my sweet time), cheap to buy, relatively easy to maintain.  It's old, has lots of miles but keeps on truck'in.  And, I get to visit a lot of really nice gas stations along the way. Confused
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 4:49pm
I too would like to hear from the OP on whether she has the FWD or the AWD version. 

I really don't think there is anything for Toyota to explain, and neither do millions of other Highlander owners, lots of whom tow and some of whom are on this forum (besides me). I think I would have noticed if my front wheels had departed the pavement, and I have about 100 lbs more tongue weight than that guy claims he did.  So all I can conclude is that either he was lying or he was way overweight because he tried to pull a huge trailer (way bigger than an rpod) and/or he had something wrong with the way his wd hitch or brake controller was set up. Either way, just another guy looking for a handout who doesn't want to take personal responsibility for his actions. World is full of them. 

But, we all have our favs I guess. No doubt if you choose to tow with a midsized unibody SUV as I have there will be limitations on what you can and can't do vs a heavier body on frame vehicle. To each his own, and the great thing about the rPod is it allows the choice. If you put in the effort to become knowledgeable, I was for example astounded about the misinformation out there about wd hitches and their effects, and had in the end to do the statics calcs myself to be sure I had it right. 

As far the Jeep was concerned (also a unibody vehicle) if there was an explanation of the 2000 vs 4500 lb tow variation in the "small" Cherokee I missed it then. So I looked it up now and after some searching found that there is a "tow prep package" which looks like it includes (Jeep doesn't advertise what's in it):

Oil cooler, extra tranny cooling, hitch receiver, 4 and 7 pin wiring, full size spare. There is also extra sway control programmed in. And shorter final gearing.

Hmm...sounds pretty familiar, but at least Toyota also gives you a bigger radiator and cooling fans, and a full size spare is standard....but dang them, they don't give you a 7 pin connector, the scoundrels!

Re the rear brakes on my Highlander, they were hot because the trailer brakes weren't doing anything to help stop the rig. Controller gain was set way too low and one brake wasn't working at all. Problem solved now hopefully.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 4:37pm
Doxielover,

Not convinced you are done yet, lot of forum discussion over the vehicle, looks to me like you will need a WDH and still not sure what engine option you have? From your original post I take you are not in the deal on a Pod yet, so time to fix.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>