R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle - 2015 Toyota Highlander LEPlus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle - 2015 Toyota Highlander LEPlus
    Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 7:12pm
Well, be scared if you want to I guess. I read that article prior to buying my Toyota too. I tow a near 4000 lb trailer with a tongue weight of well over 500 lbs with my Highlander through mountains all the time. I’ve never had even a hint of my front wheels leaving the ground even without the wd hitch tensioned. The measured weight on my front axle is exactly what it calcs out it should be and is well within specs.

Mine is an all wheel drive and that certainly does make a difference in traction, but if the front wheels were going to depart the pavement then I don’t think that would change things much. There are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands or more of other folks towing with their Highlanders as well. And unibody vehicles can’t handle towing or a wd hitch? Seriously? That’s got to be millions of folks and many different makes and models. In my opinion I think we have a case of a disgruntled customer spouting nonsense here, not a case of an evil corporation committing misdeeds.

Would I personally tow with a fwd vehicle? No. Makes no sense when the drive wheels have the lightest load of any of the axles. But there’s no way the scenario in that article could realistically occur the way it was described.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I've included a link to an article about issues with Highlander and towing capacities. I personally find it hard to believe a radiator, alternator and a trans cooler can add 3000 lbs in tow capacity. Without any change to engine size or suspension modification. The article is a somewhat interesting read on the issues(s).

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/03/26/toyota-highlander-tow-rating-questioned/
Damn! Reading that would scare the bejeebers out of me if I had a Highlander. For sure, I would question the towing ability of said vehicle if I had a FWD version. For sure, I would make sure that I had the AWD version AND that it had the towing package.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
I've included a link to an article about issues with Highlander and towing capacities. I personally find it hard to believe a radiator, alternator and a trans cooler can add 3000 lbs in tow capacity. Without any change to engine size or suspension modification. The article is a somewhat interesting read on the issues(s).

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/03/26/toyota-highlander-tow-rating-questioned/
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 1:58pm
Looks like the gen 3 2015 Highlander Le plus is indeed rated at 2000 lbs. Before you give up hope though you should find out exactly what is limiting it. My 2012 gen 2 Hi is rated at 5000 lbs. The only differences as far as I can tell are the radiator, trans cooler, and alternator.

I found this for the 2015s:

The upper trims of the Highlander have the towing prep package that features an upgraded radiator and engine cooler with a special fan coupling and 150-amp alternator.

The “engine cooler” is going to be a tranny cooler. And the alternator upgrade is IMHO optional. So it might not be a big deal to install a new radiator and tranny cooler to bring your Highlander up to specs. Not sure what the “special fan coupling” is. An aftermarket upgrade would most probably jeopardize your warranty though.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 12:14pm
+1 to Mike, 
and maybe it's just a Canadian thing, but make sure you aren't getting mixed up between pounds and kilograms.  2000kg gets close to 5000lbs
I got that same sickly feeling when I checked things initially until I read the units.  Some Canadian dealers like to cite the trailer weight in kg's because the number looks smaller.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:18am
You need to determine how it is equipped. Is it a V6 and does it have towing options? I believe the Highlander does having a 2000 lb capacity which can be as high as 5000 with proper accessories and engine options.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
doxielover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 11:10am
I recently purchased a 2015 Toyota Highlander LE Plus with the assumption and being told by the sales person that it had a tow capacity of 5,000 pounds.  Now that I'm checking the manual, it says only 2000 towing capacity.  I'm heart sick.  Have I truly messed up?  Is there a way to fix this?

Diana
Future Rpod 179 owner

Diana
Soon to be R-Pod owner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345