R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane tank transportation safety?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane tank transportation safety?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:11am
Greetings
I carry 2 full 20 bottles in the back of my pickup with a flat cover on it.  I also carry a Honda gen, and a 5 gal safety gas can.  The bottles are in milk crates.  I have twin tanks on my 179 and stay out for 2 weeks or more at a time here in MN.  I usually  empty at least 1 bottle.  I've never had any problems with the tanks or the gas.  With the design of the LP valve, even if you open it to open air, nothing will come out.  It has a built in check valve that prevent discharge to air.  Any fuel has some danger to it, but I feel the risk is very small even in a accident.  

Crankster78

F-150  R-179  2015
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
Getting back to the OP, I would think that the typical pickup shell is porous enough that a closed LP tank is not going to pose much of a hazard. I do haul LP tanks in the back of our (open bed) truck all the time, but I guess that's not really relevant. That said, our 2nd truck has a shell, and I would not have any great consternation over carrying a tank or two in the back of that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 5:50pm
I use a 20# tank holder, it keeps the tank upright, and make sure you secure it in the back of the vehicle so it does not move around. You can be ticketed for not securing flammable material ( Any Hazardous Material ) in a vehicle even if its not a commercial vehicle.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Shane

You can be ticketed for not securing flammable material ( Any Hazardous Material ) in a vehicle even if it's not a commercial vehicle.

Good point!!! I always bungee my gear to keep it from becoming ambulatory while in transit, but a lot of people do not.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:42am
Summary of NFPA 58 requirements for propane transport in vehicles (excluding RVs) for private use:

Cylinders shall be determined to be leak free before being loaded. 
Not more than 420 pounds in an open truck or in an enclosed vehicle with separate passenger, cargo, and engine compartments (this would include in a pickup cap I think)
Not more and 90 lbs and not more than 2 cylinders in an enclosed vehicle like a passenger car or SUV
Must be in DOT cylinders
Must be placed on a horizontal surface or on racks
Shall be fastened in position to minimize the possibility of movement, tipping, and physical damage. 
Cylinders less than 45 lbs propane can be in any position for transportation (but for storage have to be upright if > 1lb)
Cylinders above 45 lbs must be upright.
Nothing mentioned about locking or unlocking the vehicle

So if the state/county/city has adopted the NFPA 58 standard (NC has) then they can cite you for not meeting any of the above, but not for other things like just having the propane back there. 

Looks like CA has its own standards for propane in addition to NFPA 58. I didn't read through the CA standard since I no longer live in the PRC (Peoples' Republic of CA, don't worry, just a little gentle humor for the great state that brought Prop 65 warnings to all the rest of us Tongue). Here it is if anyone in the Golden State wants some light bedtime reading. 

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-fire-code-2016/chapter/61/liquefied-petroleum-gases#61

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456