Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRant of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant of the day
    Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:10pm
Well, I'm not going to quit over this, because I've been around long enough to know 3 things in life are certain.  Death, taxes, and thread drift.  My suggestion: pick your battles.  You're not going to win this one.  Not without moderators who will very quickly run everyone off.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:46pm
Thread drift is a form of artistic evolution.  Each creative person builds on the innovations of his/her predecessor.  Yes, it can be frustrating, but there is a certain joy to the anarchy and freedom it creates.  We don't always have to color in the lines.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:46pm
Those pounding hooves MUST be zebras.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:14pm
The thread about thread drift drifted....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:34pm
My point exactly.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
And what did we all expect?

Watch this...

Bacon!
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:40pm
I looked, a little, for statement of purpose for this forum but only found rules.  Maybe I missed it.  What we're all doing here isn't up to me; I'm not trying to tell anyone anything, but this seems to be a social forum almost as much as anything.  Certainly it's the primo place for advice on rPod issues, and it's great at that, but we generally provide help in a friendly, sociable way, rather than as technical automatons.  I think that's the way it ought to be, and, like it or not, that leads to sociable replies that may not adhere to the original subject.

I think that's fine and the way it ought to be.  Like I said though, without oppressive moderation, that's just the way it is anyway.

If you want to search the archives for answers to problems, I suspect the answers are going to be in the first 5 or 10 posts in any thread.  Any time I can recall a thread more or less staying on topic beyond that it's been when people are debating opinions about things like whether a battery cutoff switch should go on the positive or negative terminal -- or the safety or legal issues of running the fridge on propane while traveling.  It's all opinion after about post number 2 usually.  You aren't going to find a definitive answer in post 27 or 48 or 63 or ever, for that matter.

Maybe we should ban subjects that have ever been discussed before.  That's what they do in bars and coffee shops and it works really well there.  It really helps people get in and out quickly.  I know that's my objective here.  (Joke.)

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:00am
Well I have been a member of this forum since 2011, I have been reprimanded a few times about some of my posts some were even deleted.The reason I was told they were not pod related, or what does this have to do with poding. So here I write a short post about trying to stick a little more to the subject and I get thrown under the bus, thanx
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Jasp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:02am
Did someone say bacon ??
Paul
2016 Rpod 180
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:25am

Wow.....I could spend (at least) the rest of the day on this one. However, I'm not going to. I do reserve the option of adding later.

Let's keep in mind that this is a

discussion forum. While it is arguably the best "help" resource on the web, it is also a place for us to gather and interact with each other, as social creatures.

marwayne's first post said something that probably needed to be said, in regards to drifting too far off of the original posted subject matter. That said, some drift is inevitable. It WILL happen. Persons are free to express their thoughts on the forum, so long as it does not violate forum rules (ie. the 4 "forbidden" subject matters). Think of the forum as like a big, ongoing "roundup", where we all get together around the campfire to socialize, chat, ask questions, etc. While it does have archives and a "search" function, it is not like "Wikipedia". It is interactive.

PROBABLY THE BEST WAY TO KILL THE FORUM WOULD BE TO DISCOURAGE THIS INTERACTION!

Interaction...sometimes we read or hear things that we find agreeable. Other times, we read or hear things we find disagreeable. Unless you have lived your entire life in a bubble, you have found this to be so, when interacting with other humans. It is the way with humans - humans that populate the forum.

To put forth the idea that we should only talk about NEW subjects is preposterous. In the nearly 10 years that the forum has been in existence, I can just about guarantee that EVERYTHING that could be talked about, in regards to Rpods, HAS been talked about, at least once. Some subjects come up quite frequently. That's OK. Again, we are interactive.

Back to marwayne… You are probably one of the more valued and respected members of the forum. Your mods are just plain amazing. However, (people, being people) not everyone will agree with you 100% - 100% of the time. I take issue with the assertion (in your second post) that you have been censored and/or posts have been deleted. You must be confusing this forum with another forum/platform. This forum has ALWAYS prided itself on NOT censoring or deleting posts (other than blatant spam). If you can point me towards a specific example(s), please PM me and I will absolutely look into it. I value you that much!

In general and using another analogy, our "big ongoing roundup" is kind of like a smorgasbord/buffet. Partake of what you enjoy and pass over that which you don't.

In closing, it seems that some would like more moderation action, some would like less. That tells me that we (moderators) are just about right - nobody is 100% happy!    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>