Topic ClosedRant of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant of the day
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:34am
   Marwayne I am sorry you were making a good point and your comment didn't seem to get acknowledged by everyone. I know sometimes someone will apologize when they change the subject or get a little distant from the topic I think that is good. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:35am
I couldn't agree more with David's comment regarding limiting discussion to new topics. Its absurd to think that one thread with one small group of humans 5 years ago has magically resulted in the perfect interpretation or solution or whatever. What, new information never comes to light? New members don't have something to add? New products don't become available? 

One of my peeves with internet forums is that all kinds of incorrect statements get made by all kinds of folks whose only qualification might be that they have a pc, and internet connection, an opinion, and know how to type. Some of this stuff is flat out wrong or even downright dangerous and IMHO needs to be corrected before a newbie reads the thread, follows it, and gets hurt in the process. So if its an area I feel I have expertise in I'll go back in to the end of a 4 year old thread and add a comment in the hopes that newbie reads to the end. I think of that as my obligation as a participant in a community.  If you disagree with my viewpoint, fine. If you don't like my posts, don't read them, that's fine too.

What I like about this forum is that the culture here accommodates debate and consideration of diverse opinions rather than quickly cutting them off. As a result there are a lot fewer erroneous threads of the type I'm referring to above than in a lot of other forums. That is a subtle thing but an important one, if we lose it here I'm gone.  In a heartbeat. 

That being said, I think a gentle nudge to get back on topic now and then is fine too. I'm at least as guilty as the next guy of wandering off. Some folks have a terse communication style, others like to ramble.  That's OK. If we do it in a spirit of good humor as opposed to mandating a regimented approach then all should be well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:43am
Originally posted by marwayne

Well I have been a member of this forum since 2011, I have been reprimanded a few times about some of my posts some were even deleted.The reason I was told they were not pod related, or what does this have to do with poding. So here I write a short post about trying to stick a little more to the subject and I get thrown under the bus, thanx

I'm sorry if you feel like I'm throwing you under the bus!  I get your rant, and even agree with it on some sort of theoretical level.  I'm just saying that in my long experience with message boards, eliminating thread drift just ain't gonna happen.  Sometimes it annoys me, but mostly I either just follow along to see what people have to say or I quit reading that thread.  I might scan through it to see if there's anything there of interest to me, or I might not.

I have seen forums run by the Schutzstaffel but they were almost useless and generally short-lived.  I'd rather have a forum where you can start talking about dicor and end up talking about bacon.

For what it's worth, I agree with David about your value here.  I haven't really been counting, but I think I've disagreed with you on a couple of points over the past several years, but I always enjoy seeing your mods and am awed by the quality of your work.  I wish you'd put together a list of materials for your water heater heating mod, or even start selling a kit!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:44am

Well, I moved the discussion from "Introduce Yourself" to "Miscellaneous" because...

MY rant of the day are posts that are placed in areas not germane to the discussion topic! "Introduce Yourself" is a topic area for new members to "introduce themselves" to the existing forum members!

There was a day when I used to try to keep up with is but, became quickly exhausted and flabbergasted. (For instance, why would someone post a question about fixing a screen door in the "campgrounds" discussion area?"

It used to drive me nuts! However, along with a hefty amount of Prozac, I resigned myself to the notion that the forum would best be described as "loosely organized chaos - with some very good information thrown in".    

Camp on and post on folks....it's all good!

David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:45am
   I find a little humor to this but I do try to show respect. And I do appreciate Marwayne and many of the members in that there are so many intelligent members that have been very helpful. But I think of the moderators as a teacher coming into a classroom and trying to settle the students down. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 7:58am
I thought it was clear that I was joking about only allowing posts on new topics!  A couple of people seem like they may have thought I was serious!  I can assure you, it as a joke.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 8:15am
I know it was a joke TT, but like all good humor it raised a very good point.  3 cups of coffee and its blowing 30 kts here on the OBX, so its a good morning for a little rant Evil Smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I thought it was clear that I was joking about only allowing posts on new topics!  A couple of people seem like they may have thought I was serious!  I can assure you, it as a joke.
TT

No problem here! I know that you have been around here a long time and know that we do get a lot of the same questions frequently.

I think that is one of the main reasons people come here - they can ask a question and real live human beings, like yourself, will try to help and offer their opinion(s). Aside from being a tremendous resource, it is the very lifeblood of the forum (or any forum). Without the "human to human" interaction, the forum is dead. Indeed, it is the very purpose of the forum.

If you think I was speaking to you specifically, I was not. I was speaking generally.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 8:26am
I can put the hammer down if needed.. Government trained to not be friends with ANYONE!!!

But.. well.. I am trying not to be "that moderator".. and well.. most of the time, I find some of the thread drift interesting. Often it gives us clues into other members lives and activities that we may not otherwise know...

Also, I have to admit.. many many years ago, the new thread in the wrong area made me crazy.. then I just figured out it wasn't done on purpose, and I could answer or click past.. Wink As a moderator I think I have moved 1 post. I have not deleted a single thread, and I have once or twice cleaned up a "double tap" post in a thread.

I find it kind of nice that either "this forum doesn't need much moderating", or "David and Trek take care of nearly everything.."  LOL

I have been here a long time, and I do remember a couple posts, and at least 1 member being removed.. but never a thread.. doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I mean to emphasize that, but it does mean it can't have happened often. And we have had, and I have been in, some crazy threads over the years.

OH.. and almost all threads need some visual reference...

I give you.. Bacon Pie!!!

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 8:37am
The natural drift of a conversation is a normal part of human interaction.  It usually happens, as others pointed out, when the original issue of the conversation has been more or less resolved.  In the process, people mention other things that others feel warrant a comment, but it isn't worth going through the formalities of starting a new topic and, besides, the natural momentum of the conversation would be lost.  The conversations on this board resemble real conversations and that's part of what makes it interesting reading.  

But, I've noticed something that happens when I try to go back and start a new paragraph in text I've already written [or try to add or change something].  When I hit the return key with the cursor at the point where I want to start the new paragraph, it erases a couple lines above.  Does anyone have any idea of what is going on?  It's not like I've highlighted the erased text or anything.

Now, there's an example of one of the many natural drifts that can occur in a conversation.  Something popped into what's left of the calcified neurons of my brain and off I went.  

For me, one of the most entertaining things on this board is reading the conversations as they drift away from the original topic and go off on tangents that have little gems of knowledge in them.  I would have never thought to watch out for the water in WV camp grounds, had it not been for topic drift.  Pouring a bottle of bleach in a well to sanitize it?  I'm glad I wasn't the first one to get a drink after that happened.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>