FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRant of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant of the day
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Leo B

Soon we will need to keep a chart next to the computer to see what we can and can't say, when we can or can't say it. Looks like I am done, I wish everyone the best.

So...I hope I'm reading this wrong, but if this means you (LeoB) are leaving this forum, there's (at least) two of us here (one each M and F for anyone tracking demographics) who think that would suck. To put it plainly. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:31am
I hope Leo was suggesting that he was done with the un-drifted topic, not with the board. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:35am
I find the forum to be just fine the way it is.  I read in depth the stuff I'm interested in, speed read others and skip some entirely.  

One of the peccadillo's that bugs me is members who don't include their location in their information.  Don't know why, can't explain it, it just does.  .........But I carry on.

I'm thankful for a place for where others freely post great information and really cleaver mods.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Well, I'm not going to quit over this, because I've been around long enough to know 3 things in life are certain.  Death, taxes, and thread drift. 

Agreed! I've been using on-line forums for a long long time. Decades even. Among the very first things I learned was to "ignore" and to use the delete key. I think it's great that MarWayne posted and I have no complaint with that, it's a good reminder from time to time. Most of us strive to stay on track and then being humans, sometimes wander off the exact topic onto stuff that is related but not necessarily obviously so. I understand the concerns about searching the archives but you don't need the thread name to do that. I think others' comments here about how this is common, why it's important to keep coming back to old threads with new info, etc. etc. are spot on. Thanks to our moderators and to all participants, I personally get a lot of good information being here. Far, far more than I'm able to share but hopefully over time that will change. Most of all I sure hope no one leaves the forum over this! 
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by lostagain

I hope Leo was suggesting that he was done with the un-drifted topic, not with the board. 

Same here! 
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:48am
[QUOTE=crw8sr] One of the peccadillo's that bugs me is members who don't include their location in their information.  Don't know why, can't explain it, it just does.  .........But I carry on.

I agree.  I'm for full disclosure.  I think I'm one of the only ones who puts his full name at the bottom of the post as well as my home town.  I also use my real name in my Washington Post comments.  So far, no one has bothered to bomb my house or launch a mortar attack.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:08am
So if you were adjudicating a tort claim brought by the "dumbbell" who chugged the bleached water, how would you apportion liability among the tortfeasors? Would I incur liability for not keeping my eye out for him and running right over to let him know not to drink from that well? 

When I was in college in the early 70's my summer job was as a  park aid for the California dept of parks. A teenage girl at Seacliff Beach dived off a 10 ft high breakwater into the creek there where the beach began, hit the bottom and was paralysed from the neck down. Very sad case. But the water there is clear and 6 inches deep. One of my jobs was to put up all the signs saying "NO DIVING - SHALLOW WATER" that were part of the settlement after the family sued the state. That was when I began to feel the train was going off the rails...just sayin'. 

If you want to resurrect softwares that were crushed by Microsoft's monopoly 30 years ago there are lots of good ones. I thought we were talking about products people actually use...

Takes a special kind of person to actually enjoy quantum mechanics, most normal people don't like its implications much at all, Einstein included, hence his famous quote: "God does not play dice with the universe". He was wrong though, quantum mechanics has been validated over and over since then, but no underlying theory has yet removed the randomness that bothered him so much. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by David

furpod

I know that I have deleted 2-3 persons (one of them is still here - under another user name). PM me if you want to know. I don't specifically recall deleting any their posts but, I may have - if the post was bad enough and I was mad enough! I can say with 100% certainty that is was not marwayne. In fact, I think one of the "deletes" was an individual that repeatedly insisted upon trying to insult you.

You are too easy on these folks. You need to dust off your axe and lop off some heads!

Yes.. that was the one I was referencing.. really, the only one I remember.. but maybe just because I was involved in it...
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:27am
I defended lawsuits for over 30 years in California before entering the corporate law world, so I'm a bit biased toward the defense.  I recall the Sea Cliff case.  There the issue was how obvious was the danger.  Sometimes water depth can be deceptive in certain light conditions, which is often why people, apart from just plain stupidity, dive into shallow water. 

Personally, I think that we tend to over warn and it loses its effectiveness.  We need to teach personal responsibility, but that is not a popular concept among many these days.  I can't discuss this further without running afoul of our no politics, guns, religion, etc. rule.

As for the guy who drinks the water from the manual pump in WV, how would he know about the bleach?  So where would he be abdicating his responsibility for his own well being by drinking water from a source represented as for human consumption?  Can't say for WV, but in CA there is no third party liability for failure to warn about a condition you did not create.  Thus, offgrid, you're off the hook on that one, at least from a legal point of view.  

As for quantum physics, I like to read about it, at least from a lay person's point of view, but every time I start reading it changes from wave to particle, or vis-versa and I get confused.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:34am
Regarding bleach in the well, a long time ago, through my ex-wife's family, we had an in-holding in a National Park.  Our cabin was part of a community that had it's own water system.  I was good friends with the community caretaker and would often tag along as he did is chores.  The water system was all gravity-flow, from a spring house way up the mountain.  One of the caretaker's duties was, once a week, to go to the spring house and pour a quantity of bleach in the collection tank.  This was based on someone's oversight requirements.  I think it was the Park Service, but I'm not sure at this point.  But someone required regular maintenance on the water system since it supplied water to more than X number of cabins.

The holding tank might have been about a hundred gallons.  It had a sand filter and some kind of leaf/bug skimmer too, that were cleaned weekly.  I don't know if it would have bothered anyone to drink from the tank right after the bleach was added, but I don't think anyone ever tasted or even really smelled it by the time it got to their cabin. 

I don't know what kind of well this was in the campground mentioned above.  Bleach in a drilled well, which has a diameter of 6", I guess, is normal periodic maintenance, but you're supposed to let it sit for a while and then flush it through your system before drinking the water.  In a hand-dug well I imagine there would usually be at least 100 gallons of water at the bottom, so diluting a pint of bleach in there might not be a big deal.  It probably is good periodic maintenance though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>