FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRant of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant of the day
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by mcarter

David, Thread drift is normal....My 2 cents.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no difference between thread drift and hijacking. 

In both, there is no longer any interest in the problem or concern raised by the original poster. 

Both are mere ego trips, going off on their own path. 

Both would be perfectly appropriate if they had their own threads. 

Both are rude, in my opinion.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:29pm
+1 Happy Tripping , the object was to help, not convey your own opinions.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:45pm

So, who’s going to be the thread police?  And what constitutes unacceptable drift.  It's not fair to ask the moderators to have to keep threads precisely on the topic nor is it fair to them that they should have to take the heat for deleting posts that may drift too far off topic.  

We don't all have to march in a straight line.  If someone strays off a bit, big deal.  It isn't going to hurt anyone.  You aren’t required to read the posts if they drift too far off topic for you.  This is a discussion board.  Discussions, by their very nature drift all over the place.  Going off on a tangent in response to someone else drifting a bit off topic is hardly an ego trip or a maliciously motivated effort to offend the original poster.  It's a human conversation and that's the way humans work.  

There are those who think in more digital concepts with a more black and white view of the world where there is a right answer and a wrong answer. On the other hand, there are others who think in fractals and fussy logic and see shades of gray, where there are simultaneously multiple right answers, depending on your point of view. If you have trouble with thread drift, stop reading it when it goes off topic.  As another member noted: after a certain number of posts on a topic you've already gotten most of what anyone has to offer on the topic.  After that, it is just fun conversation.

Opinions are what this board is full of, and, should be.  Everyone who tries to help offers his/her opinion. Whether it's the best WHD, whether one is needed or not, what the best TV is, 2 - 6v batteries or 1 - 12v, the list goes on ad nauseam.  There is hardly a single post that doesn't offer an opinion, and, I dare say, almost all are offered in good faith.

Happy and Mike, no one is trying to be rude.  No one is trying to hijack someone's thread.  It's just that we are all human.  We color outside the lines.  It's done in a desire to share thoughts and have some fun sharing what we have all learned about r-Pod trailers and life, especially as it pertains to our experiences enjoying these little bouncy rolling homes. 

Remember, just because we start a thread, does not mean we have some proprietary interest in it.  To the contrary, it is for everyone on the board.  For myself, I enjoy seeing one of the threads I start carry on for pages and pages drifting off topic as long as people are enjoying it.  This is a virtual social group and we are social animal, and we all have a little anarchy in our hearts.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:14pm
I appreciate and share the concerns for manners and courtesy. I don't share the view that thread drifting and hijacking are the same. The former is what happens so often with people, that a thread topic reminds someone of something related even though it doesn't look that way. And that when someone else comes along and posts in line with the original topic, either chimes in or doesn't if they don't have anything to contribute. Not an ego trip, just a human trip. Or maybe a human stumbling socially, but with no malice :-) Thread hijacking ... pretty sure we all recognize that when we see it. I've only been reading this forum since 2016 when I got charmed into the RPod world smiling and agreeing; and have only been a member since 2017. But in my experience with forums I can say that this is absolutely one of the most "straight ahead while still amiable" and USEFUL forums I've ever been on. Besides which, a little thread drift helps us keep our situational awareness and mental map-reading skills sharp as we strive to come back to the original topic :-) 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by lostagain

...and we all have a little anarchy in our hearts.  

Well said! Thank you. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:47am
As long as we're discussing behavior which is perceived as rude or inappropriate, let's take a poll.

Those of you who think thread drift/hijacking is bad behavior raise their hands...

Now, those of you who think shutting down a thread with comments like "thats enough on this topic" is bad behavior raise their hands...

Both of these things happen frequently on this forum, and in all forms of human communication for that matter. 

Anyone here ever take a Myers-Briggs personality test? This and several similar methodologies have been used for decades to improve workplace team performance. One of the 4 dimensions in the M-B evaluation is associated with how you prefer to interact with the outside world.

From the M-B tutorial:

"Everyone takes in information some of the time. Everyone makes decisions some of the time. However, when it comes to dealing with the outer world, people who tend to focus on making decisions have a preference for Judging because they tend to like things decided. People who tend to focus on taking in information prefer Perceiving because they stay open to a final decision in order to get more information.

Take a minute to ask yourself which of the following descriptions seems more natural, effortless, and comfortable for you?

Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

The following statements generally apply to me:

• I like to have things decided.
  • I appear to be task oriented.
  • I like to make lists of things to do.
  • I like to get my work done before playing.
  • I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
  • Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

The following statements generally apply to me:

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
  • I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
  • I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
  • I work in bursts of energy.
  • I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
  • Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed."

Any of this sound familiar? I suggest that our positions in this debate about drift vs hijacking would correlate very well with where each of us would be on the M-B test on the Judging vs. Perceiving scale.

The point is that there isn't a right or wrong, it's just human personalities doing their thing in the ways that work best for them. And, diversity is one of the keys to success in a high functioning team, as long as the team members recognize their own strengths and weaknesses and the value brought by others who think differently. 

So, being mostly a Perceiver, I don't particularly like getting shut down on a thread, but I don't take it personally, because I know that that is just that individual's personality showing through, and I see the value of his or her approach and expertise. And I need a gentle nudge now and then, and so do Judgers who are jumping to conclusions too quickly.  That's my $0.02.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 5:31am

Who's going to be the "thread police"?

You are.

Something like this is impossible to legislate/rule make and even more so to moderate/enforce.

As furpod pointed out, there is not a lot of moderator intervention here on the forum. We all enjoy a great deal of freedom as a result. However, freedom is a double edged sword. With freedom comes the obligation to exercise it responsibly.

If nothing else, I think we can learn from this thread that everyone views "drift" and "hijacking" a little differently. Some don't like it at all. I believe most are tolerant of a certain amount of "drift". On the other hand, not every thread should become a discussion, for instance, about the weather in Djibouti (or some subject other than the OP's).

That said, the weather in Djibouti is certainly worthy of our contemplation and discussion - so much so that it probably should be in it's own thread.

When a member opens a thread/discussion, they are in effect saying "I would like us to talk about "this" and I feel it important enough to go to the effort of opening a discussion". We should try to respect that and the person.

Again, nobody is being gagged or censored. I hope that we all can be thoughtful, sensitive and respectful of each other, while enjoying the forum.

Who are the thread police?

You are!

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 7:42am
Buhahahahaaa!

(it's temporary, I just wanted to see if I could do it. BUT.. feel free to think about what I just did, and when I undo it, post your thoughts.. because this is pretty much the only way a moderator could do what is being discussed, and remain partially sane)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:01am

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12379&title=thousand-trails-long-beach-wa

Above, I think we have a winner for the “Poster Child of Good Posts” award! If you have not looked at it, I recommend it. Great post with beautiful pictures and well laid out. They obviously put some time/effort into giving the rest of us something to look at and enjoy.

To make a point, here is how the replies to that post should NOT go:

Member#1 reply – Great pictures! They remind me of the weather in Djibouti!
Member#2 reply – Djibouti …they have some of the best bacon on the planet!
Member#3 reply – Bacon is good but, the peach pie in Georgia is out of this world!
Member#4 reply – Georgia’s football team hasn’t been very good this year.
Member#5 reply – Football is for wimps! Real men watch the Canadian Hockey League!
Member#5 reply – Canada? Does anyone know if I can carry my firearms across the Canadian border?
Member#6 reply – Hey Jr., what kind of heat are you packing anyway?
David reply – Guys, we don’t do firearm discussions here. Member#5 – Consult the Canadian Border Patrol web site for an answer to your question.
All members reply – OPPRESSIVE NAZI MODERATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See what I mean? The OP's work/effort was just blown off and the comments/replies had nothing to do with their post. SAD! Yet all "legal", with the exception of the firearms posts. We are better than that.

Go get 'um furpod!

now where did I leave my 5 gallon bucket of Prozac??????

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm

Bump
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>