R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed to dehumidify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to dehumidify
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:31am
Can anyone offer recommendations for a good size, style, brand dehumidifier for my 178?  I need to order ASAP, probably from Amazon.
Thanks in advance,
Susan
BoulderGal
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
If it's for while the pod is in use.. just crack a window a little, and FF just a bit. All it takes.
BoulderGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:58pm
Can't go off and leave the trailer with window cracked open....I'm in the Pacific NW and it rains ALL THE TIME!!!!  I really want a small dehumidifier that I can leave running during the daytime while I'm at work.
Thanks for the idea tho!
Susan
BoulderGal
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:21am
We get 45 inches of rain here on average.. Over 60 so far this year.. We know rain. You can open the window a 1/16 of an inch, won't be an issue, and lift the FF lid a 1/2 inch or so.. Just enough for air flow.. It works, and no rain gets in.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:25pm
Thank you all!  The rain comes down (or across) almost horizontal so I'm reluctant to leave a window open.  I did buy a Eva-Dry humidified on Amazon (non electric) and will see how it does next week when the rain returns.

BoulderGal
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:07pm
Boulder Girl, would you please send some of that rain a little further south?  We could really use it.  Even the drip from your dehumidifier would be appreciated.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:12pm
I sure wish I could.  Too many fires south of here.

BoulderGal
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:05am
Gotta love that horizontal rain, that's what we get on the Outer Banks too. And it changes direction as the frontal systems go through so you can't just open a leeward/downwind window and forget about it. 

BoulderGal, what's probably going on in your case is that its also pretty cold, so that any humidity you have inside the warmer trailer is condensing on the inside of the windows and any other cold surfaces. Warm air can hold a lot more water vapor than cold air. As an example, air at 50 degrees and 100% relative humidity holds the same amount of water (same absolute humidity) as air at 75 degrees and about 40% relative humidity.  So its going to be hard to remove enough of that inside moisture to keep the condensation from forming, because whenever you breathe or cook something you're adding to it. 

Try the dehumidifier and see if that works for you. If the trailer is closed up during the day with no one inside it should keep up ok. When you're there in the evening the dehumidifier might not to be able to keep up so it might work better to open up a window a little on the leeward/downwind side of the trailer (keeping track of any wind direction changes) and also the fan lid and turn the heater up. The rising warm air will escape via the fan lid and draw in outside air from the window. That might sound counterproductive but the outside air has lower absolute humidity and as it heats up when it enters the trailer it will reduce the humidity in the trailer.

One other trick that you might try is to turn on the air conditioner and the heater simultaneously, leaving the windows and fan cover closed. The a/c acts basically as a big dehumidifier so it will pump out a lot of moisture. Lots of times on the east coast we run our a/c's just to dry out the air in our houses even when its not hot outside.  The pod heater puts out more heat than the a/c can remove so it will win the battle to control the temperature inside the trailer. This is for sure an inefficient (and noisy) solution but it should work and if you're not going to be paying more if you're using extra electricity then why not. 

Hope that all makes sense. Good luck. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:49pm
Get a cover for your vent fan on your pod so you can leave the vent open and not get any rain inside the pod. I installed the Maxair II vent cover, love it.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>