This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by David

Another way to "skin the cat" might be to keep the present Rpod line but, maybe add a few "Gold Series" editions with upgrades. Kind of like with cars - you can get the "base" model or purchase the "Luxury Touring" model with all of the bells and whistles.

This might work for some, and would keep the entire line from being unduly upgraded. For me, I have modest values so our RPod as-is works great (it also helps that both of us are very observant and that one of us is extremely skilled at doing something about what we observe, even if the other one of us can't fix the problem they're seeing. Or didn't see). I also like having a trailer that doesn't project, "hey those people must have a lot of discretionary cash, let's find out what else they have" after we've walked or driven away for a hike or whatever. It's obviously a very personal thing. It sure does seem that in the world of RVs, there already is something for everyone!
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:03pm
+1 to marwayne. I bought my 179 for what I can turn it into. Used so the cost of most of these initial quality problems was borne by others and so I can spend the money on the functional changes I want to make without boxing myself into a corner by having too much money into it overall.

Most of the things new owners comment on would be trivial to correct at the factory. The manufacturers ends up paying to fix this stuff under warranty. It is well known in manufacturing that the earlier errors are identified the less expensive they are. So I don’t agree that quality costs money. Quality saves money. US auto manufacturers had to learn that the hard way from the Japanese in the 80s and 90s. The RV manufacturers still don’t get it.

The other concern I have is incorporating unnecessary cosmetic frills that cost the manufacturer money but serve no useful function. The recent example is the undercounter sink. Adds nothing whatever to the pods ability to serve its purpose but reduces its reliability and so increases costs for everyone.

So, keep it simple, make sure that the features that are included work as they should and incentivize good craftsmanship, and implement a zero defects quality system. That would go a long way to overcome the public’s perception of poor RV quality and reduce costs at the same time.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:21pm
I think the success of Pods, speaks for itself. Personally I bought mine somewhat on the price. I never had a warranty and to date have fixed everything that has needed fixin'. For me the upkeep of the Pod is easy compared to both my old Airstream and my Class C. Which is exactly what I was looking for. Want to talk maintenance, buy a motorhome. I have noticed FR has added several improvements that many of us did as mods. The price will go up, as prices do, but I think making the Pod more expensive has a risk of moving it out of the niche it currently fills. Sure seems to be doing well in sales where it is at, plus it's reasonable enough an owner can modify it, like Offgrid and Marwayne, I don't feel bad when I'm modding mine, it's not like I had my life's savings invested. AND I've had a barrel of comfortable fun with it. Last point, there are some differences in how the RV industry operates, as far as dealers, warranties, services, etc., it's not the Pods fault. Sorry for the long post, I'll go back to watching squirrels carry off nuts.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
I just like to add one more thing, some or even most problems with pods are self-induced.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by marwayne

I just like to add one more thing, some or even most problems with pods are self-induced.

+1
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:16pm
+2, veterans of the forum know this.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:43pm

Now that I am a moderator, my opinion counts more.. so..

+4

LOL
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Sure seems to be doing well in sales where it is at, plus it's reasonable enough an owner can modify it, like Offgrid and Marwayne, I don't feel bad when I'm modding mine, it's not like I had my life's savings invested. AND I've had a barrel of comfortable fun with it.

Good point! And this reminds me of something else I think about this, that one can do all kinds of mods that make it better or nicer for the owners without substantially changing the outside appearance (although I'm betting there are some great paint jobs & vinyl wraps on Pods too but that's another topic). So this too fits into my thing of not wanting to stand out as a Really Expensive Rig. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by furpod

Now that I am a moderator, my opinion counts more.. so..+4
LOL

What furpod says is LAW! So, I ain't messin' wit 'em.   

I can't imagine FR doing anything to monkey with the existing Pods. They are just too successful as is. However,I wonder (given some of our comments) if they took, for instance the 179 (most popular) and maybe the 180 and made a Gold/Elite addition with upscale everything.

I'm talking more than just lipstick on a Pod. I'm thinking the Marilyn Monroe of Rpods!

DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm

-1 on your post marwayne…sorry but we will have to agree to disagree here. I believe that most problem are NOT self-induced! Sure not knowing “how to do” something is self-induced but having mechanical and electrical system failure are R_Pod problems not the owners.

+1 offgrid …. You nailed it!

Most the problems R-Pod owners are having I think could be solved very simply with negligible or little increase in cost by FR.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>