Topic ClosedYour thoughts? Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts? Part Deux
    Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:59am
Not only have we thought about it, it was suggested directly to us by our Pod dealer and the Pod plant manager, when we were looking for something just a bit bigger so she could work from it..

The trick is finding an 8 x 20+ foot cargo trailer that has at least 7 foot ceilings. I would go with composting or cartridge toilet, and ducted a/c. After that, pretty standard build out..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:44am

Cool!

I think something that I would like to build into it would be:
Put a couple of scissor jacks at the top corners of the rear drop door. It could be folded down to make a "patio". The addition of an awning and screening would make it a nice, bug free area to enjoy. During fair weather, just leave it open around the clock. It might seem a little more like tent camping - with the sounds of the bugs and critters.

I'm also thinking of some sort of "Murphy bed" that could be folded up/out of the way, when not in use. This might also allow room to carry bicycles, (or) canoe, (or) etc. when on the road.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

My grandfather, who was a custom cabinet maker, built his own tent trailer in 1953 and even sewed the canvas himself. It was pretty basic, looking at old photos and from what my mom has told me. Two twin beds folded out from each side. Later, in about 1956 or ‘57. He built a cabover camper for one of the cabinet shop trucks. It had one of the first slide outs, that contained two bunks, and had a rear kitchen. That camper is slowly disintegrating now but was really special in its day. I remember camping in that camper when I was a little kid.
That sounds a lot like what my dad did. He built a tent trailer first. Then he built a cab-over truck camper. I was young enough that I don't remember much about the trailer and I remember being up in the cab-over bed. After that, it was a commercial bunkhouse trailer with four bunk beds in back and a convertible dinette in the front. Since there were seven of us total, one of the boys usually got to be outside in a pup tent. After dad had an experience where he nearly jackknifed the station wagon and trailer, he got rid of it and went to a commercial truck camper. That also allowed him to tow the aluminum boat on a trailer. Before, the boat was lifted up and placed upside-down on a roof rack on the station wagon. It was in these that I got my desire to camp. We went from tents to no camping to the R-Pod. We did not go with as many steps and I certainly did not build my own although I had looked at plans for teardrop trailers at one point.

Although I would really like to build one of my own design, unfortunately, I have neither the tools nor the shop in which to do so. I have been able to make modifications to our 179. In a few years, we may upgrade. The 195 floor plan looks interesting but since it is only a floor plan at this stage, I would want to see what it looks like when one is actually built.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 4:49pm
I worked through the logistics once, of how to temporarily convert a box truck into a camper.  Raised floor with tanks underneath for full plumbing, etc.  I figured I could design a setup that could be installed in a few hours and dismantled in a few hours.  The same could be done with a cargo trailer but as mentioned above, head room might be an issue.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12