R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGo power solar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go power solar
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Hey guys and gals. Picking up our new pod 190 next week and it comes pre wired with the go power solar stuff. Has anyone installed any of this? Is it a good product? How hard was the install? I’m thinking of getting the 100w flex panel kit.

Thoughts?
"We must always be aware that suddenly and unexpectedly we may find ourselves in a role where our performance has ultimate consequences."
Sailor Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:44pm
You should check with your dealer of Forest River concerning what pre-wired solar really means.  I have the 190 10th anniversary edition and wondered where the hook up was for solar.  The 2018 190 had a Zamp hookup on the outside of the trailer.  Mine does not.  Apparently ,for the 2019 R Pod 190 Forest River thought putting the wiring on top of the trailer would make it easier to install solar panels on the top of the unit. It does, but it is not what I really wanted.  The hookup on the outside of the trailer with easy access makes better sense to me as I can put my R Pod in the shade and a portable solar panel about 20 feet away in the sun.  At least that is my thought and hope.   To that end, I purchased a Renorgy Eclipse 100 watt suitcase portable unit.  They are available on Amazon, but I purchased mine directly from Renorgy because I wanted a different controller and heavier wire.  Nice suitcase, good build, now will need to find a sunny day here to test it out.
Monemkr2000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
Thanks for the response. I was hopeful that the 2019 had both the hookups why they just went the one on the roof baffles me.
"We must always be aware that suddenly and unexpectedly we may find ourselves in a role where our performance has ultimate consequences."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:37pm
You could always add a solar port to the side of your battery box. The Zamp outlet is really nothing more than an extension cord from the battery.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
I too went with the Renogy 100w suitcase; I added an extra-long extension to it so that I can always get the panels out in the sun. If I'm camping where there are trees, last thing I want to do is park my trailer out of the shade!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm
Just connect your charge controller to the battery with a connector of your choice. You should install an inline fuse at the battery positive battery terminal sized for the max current of your solar setup plus 50%. A shorted battery can melt down your hookup wiring in about half a second. So15A is good for a 100 watt solar setup. If you want say a say 50 ft wire run then use 10 gauge cable to keep the voltage drop down. For 25 ft you can use 12 gauge, I wouldn’t go smaller than that. You can use a heavy duty extension cord and cut the ends off if you want.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:12am
I am a newbie but picked up my 2019 179 July 31 and have been putting in mods since.  I installed 4 renogy 100 w flexible panels on the roof with silicone (drilled no holes) and have two 100 w flexible panels on either a 50 or 25 foot extension (to get them into the sun shine if needed).  With installing that solar array I also installed a Xantrex 2000 w inverter/converter, switcher along with a 40 amp Morning Star, ProStar MPPT charge controller.  Do to size and weight limitations I have wired two deep cycle lead acid 150 amp hour batteries in parallel on the tongue of the 179 (outside).  With that being said I have found that the prewired "solar power" is just a connection plug going through the wall and run to the battery in front, don't understand why they installed the plug at the rear of the 179 (longer run to the battery on the tongue). The new mounting location on the roof of the pod is good if you want to permanently mount flexible panels on the roof (don't have to drill any holes in the roof, a really good thing).  By the way "offgrid" was spot on with his post with a lot of good information.  I won't be giving my system a good workout until we go out to New Mexico this spring for a little boondocking.  Looking forward to that.    
Jay

179/2019
jojoandco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 1:32pm
We bought a go power 120 watt portable solar panel and just plugged in to "solar on the side" and it was up and running. It has been great and keeps the battery topped up wonderfully so no worries about dry camping with no facilities . Proper 30 ft extension made by go power is a must as you don't have to keep moving the panel in to the sun. Don't need a generator and upset your fellow campers.
 Post Reply Post Reply