Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight Distribution Towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution Towing
    Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:34am
I use this one in conjunction with my current Blue Ox WD system, I also used it on the Andersen WD system. The Brophy Stabilizer Clamp 2 inch. I do NOT use it "vertically" oriented, I use it to prevent side-to-side clunk by mounting it "sideways" instead. The tongue weight prevents the hitch from moving up and down, it's the left-right motion that causes all the clunk in my experience. It does add an extra thing to do when coupling the trailer, I have to take a wrench with me to tighten the two nuts each time. And if I want to install my bike rack after getting to my campsite, I have to remove it, and put it back on when leaving, but it does stop the side to side clunk. I also use it when I have my motorcycle hitch rack installed.

I haven't used all the different styles of anti-rattle devices out there, and there are a LOT of them. But I did try a Maxx Tow Anti-Rattle Clamp, and it SUCKED!! The four bolts (4 - FOUR!!!) loosen up almost immediately, have to be snugged up, and then loosen again later on. I tried it for two trips, gave up. Just a terrible design that did not work for me.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:48am
We've never had any hitch rattle using our Fastway EZ-2 WDH.  The shank fits nice and snug, though I do put a little grease on it from time to time to make it slide in and out easily.  Maybe our TV rattles enough that we just don't notice it.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Sorry for my belated reply, I'm only just now getting back on the forum after an extended family emergency. 

StephenH, a WDH is generally considered to be part of the tow vehicle not the trailer, because it winds up being rigidly attached to the TV receiver when in use. I don't think the Hensley hitch is different in that regard. But of course, since a WDH acts to redistribute tongue load to the TV front axle and trailer axle, its weight doesn't end up on the TV rear axle anyway, like tongue weight does if you don't have a WDH. 

I can see that with a standard WD hitch. The main (and heaviest) part of the Hensley hitch is attached to the trailer ball and tongue and only the shank detaches from the trailer when unhitching. Plus, the hitch design seems to put the WD arms farther back than those of the Equal-i-zer I was using before. The shank is also longer, meaning that I had to use chain extenders for the safety chain connections. This is all part of the reason I think more weight is transferred to the trailer axle in proportion when compared with the Equal-i-zer. This is all pure speculation though as I don't have easily available scales to check and don't want to spend  a small fortune at a truck stop to use theirs which would include the towing expense to get to it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 1:48pm
Doesn't the Hensley rotate around the ball like the Equal-i-zer when you tension the weight distribution bars? If the ball is still the pivot point the hitch is still going to produce a moment/torque about the ball which is transferred to the trailer axle and to the TV axles via the shank/receiver connection, just like any other WDH. 

The horizontal distance from the ball to where the spring bars are attached to the trailer frame is for sure going to govern how much bar tension is required to produce a given moment (torgue). But if you set your Hensley to redistribute the same about of tongue weight as you did with the Equal-i-zer (which will require less bar tension if the bars extend farther aft) then you should end up with pretty much the same axle loads. 

This is because the redistributed axle loads are governed only by the moment (bar tension x distance from bar attachment to the ball) and the distance from the ball to each axle. The distance from the ball to the trailer axle hasn't changed. The distances from the ball to each of the TV axles will be a slightly different with the Hensley than the Equal-I-zer. 

You can measure those distances and put them in the calculator if you want to see the effects. 

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Have you tried using your local waste transfer station to see if you can use their scale? As a taxpayer you should be able to make use of it if they're not busy, Dare County lets me use theirs, no problem.  You don't need pay for a tow, just go through once with the tow vehicle only and then again with the trailer attached without the hitch tensioned. Get the weight of each axle as you go through the scale. Then if you want to prove that the calculator works correctly you can even go through a third time with the hitch tensioned. Or you can trust in basic physics and believe the calculator once you know your actual weights and distances Smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 6:43pm
The Hensley locks the trailer's hitch and the ball together. The rotation is at the articulating joints. See this link for more information on how it works:  https://www.hensleymfg.com/faq/hensley-hitch-works/
I'll see if I can plug things in to the calculator. I also will see if I can use the scale at the North Wake Convenience Center.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The true answer, regardless of the number of links is the amount of weight that is transferred. The WDH should transfer some of the tongue weight to the front wheels of your Tow Vehicle (TV), and a little weight to the axle of the Travel Trailer (TT).

The 295 lb number is probably a fantasy. Once you put some gear in the RP180, the hitch weight is probably going to be close to your 450 lb limit, if not a bit over.

Correct. The only real way to know tongue weight and gross weight of the towed vehicle is to weigh it. Get a tongue weight scale. Get your tow vehicle weighed ( pay attention to the front/rear distribution) Then get your overall rig weighed, again paying attention to the distribution. Now you have real data. Get the manual for your hitch and read it carefully. Everything else, including the "4 links recommendation" is just opinion, or worse - conjecture.
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by AL1010

Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

The Andersen works as intended. I had one for over a year and it definitely settled down heavy bounce over expansion joints. No more oscillations at all. Just make sure that you measure the ball height as directed in the setup instructions (starting about 1 to 1-1/2 inches higher than the trailer coupler). Then make certain it is sagged slightly lower than the original couple height so the trailer is ever so slightly nose down. That final adjusted position is ideal. Don't remove all the sag by tightening the chain adjuster.
Did either of you have a lot of slop in the shank?

There is some slop. I assumed it was normal and didn't worry about it. Not sure how would you notice the slop when towing. 
2018 R-Pod 180
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The Hensley locks the trailer's hitch and the ball together. The rotation is at the articulating joints. See this link for more information on how it works:  https://www.hensleymfg.com/faq/hensley-hitch-works/
I'll see if I can plug things in to the calculator. I also will see if I can use the scale at the North Wake Convenience Center.

Interesting design but it's damn pricey. ProPride (same design) is $2800. If I ever buy a larger camper it definitely worth considering though.
2018 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm
After the accident I was looking for a bullet-proof way to avoid another situation where the sway control was insufficient to prevent the type of accident we had with ice and wind. The Hensley looked like it would work much better than the Equal-i-zer we were using. I was able to get it at a special price as I originally purchased the Swift Cub, but switched to the jacks of the regular Cub when I realized that with my arthritis, the chains and snap-up system of the Swift Cub were a bit much.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:15pm
I think there is enough torque applied to the receiver with our WDH that it pretty much eliminates the slop from being an issue anyway.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>