R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterized Usage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterized Usage
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 9:51am
Hi there,
DH and I have a 2017 180 and live in Maine. We want to take the pod to Florida in February. Can we just keep our unit winterized (not use the water heater) and use the sink / toilet with cold water and when we come home just run more antifreeze through the pipes and into the tanks?
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:22am
that should work.  We have camped with bottled water several times.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:24am
Yes, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use the water heater too.  It's just a matter of flipping valves. 

And you don't run antifreeze into the tanks, except incidentally.  The antifreeze is primarily for the internal plumbing and fixtures -- the water pump, faucets, and toilet valve.  To use those, you will need to flush the antifreeze out, at least if you are going to drink the water.

Some people just blow the lines out with pressurized air and don't use antifreeze.  Something to consider if you will be winterizing and rewinterizing over the season.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 12:41pm
For freezing weather camping, we used an 8 gallon Hydroller watter carrier purchased at Walmart. We moved that between vehicle and R-Pod. We did not have any water in the tanks to start and carried a few gallons of RV antifreeze for flushing purposes. We also put some down the sink drains to help keep the gray tank from freezing. We camped in temperatures in the low single digits with significant wind chill. When we got down far enough south that I thought it was safe to do so, I put water in the tank and flushed the RV antifreeze out of the pipes and changed the bypass valve so we could have hot water.
On the return trip across Texas, we did encounter freezing temps and the pickup line from the water tank froze. It did eventually thaw with no problems. Other than that, the interior stayed warm enough so that we did not experience any freezing of the interior lines.

If I were to do this again, I would make a way to shield the water tank pickup line and use some spray foam insulation. I think that would be sufficient to keep it from freezing, even if we do get a hard freeze for a couple of days as it would take a while for the tank to cool enough to freeze. If I were really worried, I would heat some water and add it to the tank periodically also. Some have changed the plumbing to be able to circulate hot water so as to have instant hot water. The return lines go to the water tank so that water isn't wasted. This also serves the purpose to help heat the tank to prevent freezing. I have been thinking of doing something like this as well as modifying things for hydronic heating.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 2:19pm
OP doesn't say if plan is boondock improved camp. Is it freezing in FEB in FL?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Shawna80 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 4:18pm
We’ll be out of freezing weather down south and plan to use the RV Park shower facilities, we just wanted to use the sink and toilet for convenience. We didn’t know if it made sense to de-winterize them winterize again in only a 2 week span?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
It's completely up to you.  After you've winterized a few times it's not much trouble.  You can pretty easily skip getting all of the antifreeze taste out of the lines by not flushing your system, but you'll still have most of the re-winterizing process to go through when, or before, you get back.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Doesn't take that long to winterize. Air or anti-freeze, I would use full capabilities of RV. The water heater is no big deal.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply