R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBent axle question??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent axle question??
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:17pm
I have read several [posts about bent axles. A post last week mentioned using a string line to check from end to end to see if it was bent.  Maybe this is a dumb question, but IF the axle is bent, does it bend up or down in the middle? Seems like since the weight is on the outer edges, that would push down which would make the center push up???? but I can also see the other part --the axle bending down from over weight issues.

So, is a bent axle bending up or down in the middle?
Thanks
Vann
ps--I hope I don't need this info

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:56pm
Looking at it logically, if the tires are tilted inward at the top (/-----------\), then since the supports for the axle are not at the joint of the axle and the pivoting arm, there is upward force on the portion of the axle on the outsides of the frame. This would have the tendency to move the portion of the axle between the frames downward. Thus, the axle would look more like a smile than a frown. However, the owner's face would be more of a frown than a smile if this situation occurs.

I heard from the dealer. The update was, "We have measurements sent up to LCI and are still waiting on a response."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
It also might not bend in one place. It's possible that the portion of the axle that is outside the frame (on both sides) could get bent. Then it could be more like this (hope this works):
          |                       |
          |\___________/|
          |                       |
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:02pm
True. It might be bent on one side outside the frame without disturbing the other side if the cause of the bend were something like hitting a curb or a bad pothole.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:12pm
Thanks Stephen. I can easily see your description. I know you have first hand knowledge,unfortunately.
I hope your situation resolves itself without your wallet lightened too much.
Good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Pod People

Thanks Stephen. I can easily see your description. I know you have first hand knowledge,unfortunately.
I hope your situation resolves itself without your wallet lightened too much.
Good luck
Vann
It was the best way I could think of to describe it. I also hopes it gets resolved without extreme expense. It is already going to cost me a bundle for the work already done (fix slide-out leak, fix brakes, bearing replacement, brake drum replacement, etc.).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 4:59pm
I never did update this. I did end up getting the axle replaced (I had to pay for it). We picked it up in January of this year.

My wife had surgery, so I was not able to get any use out of it until we went to the Carolinas Pod Rally. Then the weld that holds the brake backing plate to the axle broke on the way there. I had a technician remove the brakes on that side so we could get home (I drove even more carefully than I usually do, allowing more space between me and traffic in front of me). I contacted Lippert, and it was replaced under warranty Lippert also reimbursed me for the labor costs involved. Big kudos to Lippert!. The work was done at a dealer that is only a few minutes drive from me rather than at at the dealer where we purchased our RPod which would have been a 2-1/2 hour drive. The dealer that did the work does not sell RPods though. It would still be at least a 2-1/2 hour drive to get to the nearest dealer that does sell RPods. The original dealer stopped selling them.

. So far, the new axle is working well. We just got back from a trip to Florida and will be headed that way again soon.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:34am
That was one of the factors that led me to get the Sonoma instead of a little bigger r-Pod.  Unlike the cantilevered axels on the r-Pod, the axles are mounted to the frame right next to the brake backing plate on leaf springs attached to I-beam frame rails.  The axle is still a 3500# axle uprated to 3900 by Lippert through the use of heavier leaf springs.  I guess only time will tell how it will hold up.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Pod People

I have read several [posts about bent axles. A post last week mentioned using a string line to check from end to end to see if it was bent.  Maybe this is a dumb question, but IF the axle is bent, does it bend up or down in the middle? Seems like since the weight is on the outer edges, that would push down which would make the center push up???? but I can also see the other part --the axle bending down from over weight issues.

So, is a bent axle bending up or down in the middle?
Thanks
Vann
ps--I hope I don't need this info

My assumption here is you have an indicator of an issue. Curious what you're looking at?

Mine was a tire camber on the drivers side. Being only one side showing this and little bend to the axle, I finally found the issue. My frame was bent (actually fractured). 

Hopefully not what you have.. If there is an issue it will be seen where the axle mounts to the frame. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:49am
The best way to check your axle is with a 24" bubble level. The wheels should be the same as the side walls of the trailer, it's that easy. Just check the plumb of the wheels and then move up to the wall, should be the same. The axle arch should be different trailer to trailer, they bend the arch to align the wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>