R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRdome's installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pointofgrille View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rdome's installation
    Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 11:34am
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:19pm
Terry,
 The grommets are offset slightly so if you hook bottom first and push in top they pop right on. it took a little practice to get it right, if you push straight on they won't snap in place.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:38am
Flaps on the inside then I guess.  I was working from a mental picture.  Maybe it was a double exposure!LOL  With the fabric in the grommets I can't get them to work.  So I don't use them.  All I use my dome for is shade so I'm not worried about it being tight.

Terry 
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Wyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:56pm
On my 171 the door hits the r-dome pole, I use a bungie cord hooked to the door hook and the retaining hook on the pod to hold the door open.

From what I have experienced, the fabric should be left in place at the grommet holes, I did remove it from one of the grommet holes by mistake, there is no difference in the attachment method between the ones with the fabric versus the one I removed it from.  It looks better with the fabric in place IMHO.
Wyn
Hudson Valley, NY
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:45pm
hi Terry, my dealer being new with pods called forest river for directions and they told him flaps in, when I look at the videos and website they always show the flaps in. My dome works great, and hope its right?
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:40pm
thanks Terry for the info... mine is the 172 model and is 18'. I don't have an issue with the door making contact with the dome itself, however the door makes contact with the roof pole when you open the door... it stops the door from going all the way back in order to hook it on to keep it opened.
makes sense about the flaps being on the outside.. that way the clips would be closer to the edge of the pod side wall... one question though... the gromets on the flap, are the holes supossed to be pierced all the way through? mine has the material still in the center and I wasn't sure if I had to cut out the material in order for the clip to go all the way through or if the material there is used in the securing of the flap to the clip...

I will have a go at it either tomorrow or thursday and will update all on how I did.. :-)

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:27am
Make sure that there isn't any material in the grommet holes on the dome first.  On mine they never cut the holes.

The flaps, on the sides would face out.  Set up the R-Dome, making sure it is exactly the way you want it.  Put the flaps out, mark where the hole meet the side of the Pod then drill as you stated. 

The placement of the poles will depend on what size of Pod you have.  That is a guess.  On mine the poles don't get in the way of the door but the dome itself does.  In time the door will wear a hole into the dome.Angry

The dealership where I got my Pod installed the clips on the Pod so I can't really say much about what you might run into.  Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes for you.Smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:43pm
Hey folks, I have a quick question on the install of the Rdome... I set mine up the weekend and noticed that there was more to attaching it to the pod than just sliding it into the track.. it seems that there are 3 holes in the dome that come down on both sides next to the pod.. and in the bag were 6 clip things with 6 screws.. I am assuming that these clip things need to screw into the side of the pod (drilling pilot holes first of course). my question is; where should these be placed.. on the inside of the dome, or on the outside... basically, does that flap go outside or inside?

I also noticed that when the dome is installed into the track and the roof poles are up, the door to the pod is unable to be held opened  using the hook on the side of the pod.. the door stops against the roof pole of the dome and won't let the door open all the way to reach the hook... perhaps I am doing something wrong, or is this by design??

would love to see some people's pics of their set up and install of the dome and placement of the clips that need to be installed..

thanks in advance..

GoofieNewfie...

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
 Post Reply Post Reply