Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPerplexed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perplexed
    Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 9:37am
Hello! My name is Brian and I’m perplexed as to what I should do. I was wondering if those of you on this forum could help me. I’m looking at purchasing a 171 and as we speak I’m staring at a spreadsheet of Pros and Cons comparing it to other brands. I will use it 2 months of the year - once in spring and once in fall to fish steelhead on the coast.

Comparing is like doing calculus, and I’m all verklempt. To make matters worse, I read reviews online and was shocked by all the negative comments and experiences others have had compared to other brands. I realize there are many answers for this, but I need to hear something positive if possible before I pull the trigger. Here’s my main question - WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AN RPOD TO A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER?

I sincerely appreciate your help.
“Our love for God is shown in how we serve the widow, orphan, and infirm.” Beecher
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:29am
Welcome Flanker.  Good questions.  We have a 172, which is basically the same trailer, but with a slightly different interior configuration.  From my point of view and given your intended use, yes, a 171 would probably meet your needs.  But, given the use you describe, you may want to consider a used trailer that has had gentle use and the bugs worked out of it.  There are quite a few in the secondary market, the problem being is geographical convenience to buying one.  I doubt there are a lot of 171's on the market around Edmonton, [Alberta?].  But at least you have a couple of dealers who may have some.

As trailers go, though you hear a lot of pissing and moaning about shoddy workmanship and poor quality with rPods, I really doubt it is much different with other brands unless you want to go to one of those really nice European caravan trailers, for example: https://www.m3caravaning.com/m3caravaning/375/caravana-nueva-fendt-bianco-selection-390-fh.html
But importing one into Canada may be very complicated and expensive.  Since Canada has a little stricter travel trailer requirements, you may end up with a little better trailer just because it meets your national standards.

Probably any small trailer in good condition would meet your needs, whether new or used.  If you get a new one, you might find it easier for warranty purposes to get it from a local vendor.  Some dealers are not anxious to work on warranty issues if they didn't sell the trailer.  

Good luck with your purchase and catching lots of steelhead.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 11:44am
I've been very happy with our 171. Complainers complain, happy users use and you never hear about them. A 171/2 is for getting to a place, primarily, even out of the way places, a larger trailer is for using at the place, altho the r-dome modifies that quite a bit.

But ... Maybe you should rethink this. Using an over $10,000 shelter twice a year??

We don't know anything about water, electricity, toilet facilities etc where you are going.

You might think about getting a good quality wall tent with a stove and use that for a while, or maybe renting a trailer, or get something like this - Moosejaw pickup bed tent

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/kodiak-canvas-canvas-truck-bed-tent-mid-sized_10418601?hybridPLA=true&ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Kodiak-Canvas&scid=scplp4918398&sc_intid=4918398&adpos=1o2&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Nonbrand_Desktop|SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Nonbrand_Desktop-_-google|652804451|30576947942|113834596963|pla-510378503919|c|9009147|4918398&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrM_Pv9jZ3wIVB77ACh3ztgb7EAQYAiABEgJfoPD_BwE

Let us know what you settle on.

Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
Hi Brian,  I can understand that you might get confused about the quality of RPods when you hear some of the rants, but our experience has been very positive.  The RV industry seems to be where the auto industry was back in the 70's.  You may experience some annoying fit and finish issues and some areas may need your attention.  However, the RPods are a good value.

About 2 years ago we were in the same boat that you are in; we ended up buying a 178 and have not regretted our decision one bit!  It is light, very functional, and a joy to use.  We have increased our outings since we bought it and enjoy it as a home away from home.

There is an incredible amount of support and wisdom in this forum.  With that, there is a lot of opinion too - which is a good thing but just keep in mind that it is just "opinion".  For instance, we love our Thule awning, but others prefer the R-dome - that doesn't mean the awning or the R-dome is useless, although that might be how someone may describe them.

Also, keep in mind that there will be maintenance involved.  You can't use a trailer year after year without working on it.  Things will break down, that's just the way it is in our lives (our own bodies included!:-))

Personally, I would have no problems encouraging you to get an RPod and use this forum to help you along.

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
ALL RV's are built the same way.  I went to a factory last summer (not an FR) and saw how they are put together.  Basically they are paid by the unit.  So if they push out more they make more and if they make them that fast it is common sense that they will have problems.  So unless you are buying an upscale brand (eg. Lance or Airstream) anything in the same price range will have the same issues.  You just have to hope yours was not the last one built before the xmas break.  So buy an RPOD and enjoy it.  I also use a spread sheet for most purchases but for an RV it does NOT work.  So throw away the pen and paper and buy what pleases you on site.  Oh and a big factor is buy locally so that you can get it repaired easily.  This is a must if you are not handy.  Even if it costs you more money or you have to buy a RPOD clone because a local dealer is 10 miles away but an RPOD dealer is 200 miles away then buy the clone and not the RPOD.  RV dealers do not have to honor warranty work unless they sold you the RV.  Very different from cars. So yes I would sell my mother an RPOD
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
If I lived in Canada I'd also be looking at Escape trailers - really nice units, fiberglass. I have an RPod and love it, but if I were only going out 2x/yr I wouldn't buy one, I'd rent.
Flanker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 5:40pm
Thank you everyone so much for your thoughtful and time consuming replies!! This really does help with my decision making. I have directive takeaways from each of you. Thanks!
“Our love for God is shown in how we serve the widow, orphan, and infirm.” Beecher
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Since you live in Canada, also consider the Bigfoot trailers. I have seen one. They are very nice and they are also four season capable, something that the R-Pods are not. They are, however, much more expensive. https://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv_travel_trailers_2500_series.html
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:59pm
We looked at the Escape 9 years ago, it was heavier and 10 000 $ more than the pod.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by marwayne

We looked at the Escape 9 years ago, it was heavier and 10 000 $ more than the pod.

Minor details :) 

Those trailers sure looked nice from the outside though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>