R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Help With Solar Vendor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help With Solar Vendor
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:23am
Anytime 2wolves. Sounds like you're another early riser. 

I think you're right on target with your energy system plans. You shouldn't have any problems running whatever you need to with that setup, especially if you stay south/low in winter and north/high in summer.  

Have fun and keep us posted!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
2wolves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 4:26am
Offgrid,
Wow thank you for the detailed reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I purchased a Yamaha 3000 during black Friday for 1100. I'm going to carry an extra tank of propane. I'm also going to buy 200 watts of solar and chase the warmer temps. Heading out for Florida this morning and probably out to Arizona after that. Again I really appreciate your input. This is my first TT, so I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm looking forward to seeing this beautiful country. The military sent me a lot of places over 38 years, but it's time for me to see our country. Again thank you! I need people such as yourself
2022 196
2021 Chevy Tahoe
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:51am
RPods have a 20000 btu furnace, meaning that it burns 20000 btu of propane per hour of operation. Propane contains 91600 btu per gallon. So the furnace will consume 1 gallon of propane in about 4.5 hours of operation. A full 20 lb cylinder contains 4.7 gallons, which will give you about 21 hours of furnace runtime. The fridge, water heater, and stove in comparison use a tiny amount of propane so you can ignore that.

Actual days of operation on a cylinder will depend on the furnace duty cycle, which is a lot harder to estimate.. You’ll see a huge difference between furnace usage at 4 degrees vs 40. Around 3x the heating requirement depending on where you set your thermostat . I doubt the furnace would even keep up at 4 degrees, travel trailers aren’t very well insulated. You’d be going through a cylinder in a day probably.

For the kind of 3-4 season camping you’re describing you should take a second propane cylinder with you, many of us do, Myself included. Last thing you want is to run out at 2am on a cold night, an hour out in the boonies from the closest place to swap a cylinder. You can either mount the second cylinder on the tongue or just carry it (upright and secured) in your tow vehicle. If you mount it on the tongue you can install an automatic changeover so you don’t have to go outside and fool with propane cylinders in the middle of a cold night. Luxury!

Just a sidebar comment, while camping at sub freezing temps be sure to keep your rPod winterized. The furnace won’t keep your water systems from freezing up, large parts of them aren’t in the heated space.

Back on your electric power system one other consideration is to take a portable generator with you. You can still use solar most of the time when available and keep the generator for backup and for cloudy weather, shady campsites etc. it’s also the only semi- practical solution if you want to run your air conditioner some of the time while boondocking in the summer. And you can kick it on a couple times a day for a few minutes of microwave operation as well.

A good year round 3+ season boondocks setup for the southeast/mid Atlantic is dual batteries, dual propane cylinders, 100-120 watts solar, and a 2300 watt inverter/generator. Provides for lots of flexibility at a reasonable weight and price point. Just my opinion. And yes that’s overkill for west coast campers with less shady campsites, less cloudy weather, and low or no summer cooling requirements, or for folks who mostly camp with hookups.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by 2wolves

Stephen, thank you so much for the info. I will not have temps down to 4 the worst probably 40, so hoping for 4 to 5 days.

With a good sleeping bag, you can shut off the furnace at night, which is a propane hog, and cut your propane consumption sharply. Don't forget to keep widows cracked to minimize condensation.

2wolves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:21pm
Stephen, thank you so much for the info. I will not have temps down to 4 the worst probably 40, so hoping for 4 to 5 days.
2022 196
2021 Chevy Tahoe
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:18pm
It may have been a typo, but it's a 20 pound tank, not a 20 gallon tank.  How long one lasts, like Stephen implied, can be all over the place.  If it's cold enough, two or three days sounds about right.  If you're going to Florida in winter and want to burn off the chill -- of course it matters where in Florida -- but a 20 pound tank could last two years.

I have a 100w Renogy suitcase with a 30 ft extension.  My old Pod isn't solar ready, so I just hook directly to the battery and I've been very happy when I'm where I can use it.  I leave it home when I'm going to the Smokies and take my generator.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
Propane use varies with outside temperatures. In Spring or Fall, with some furnace use, I can get a number of days out of a 20 lb tank. When we were camping in the winter in 4F temperatures with wind chills in the definite negatives, I was lucky to get three days from a tank, and that was turning the furnace down at night to 60 and not turning it up over 68 during the day. That also included running the refrigerator, but that take so little gas that it is insignificant. The propane stove took more but we were sparing with use of it. Water heater use was later after we were in mostly above freezing temps where I could de-winterize.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by 2wolves

Question. How many hours are you guys getting out of a 20 gallon tank? Also will my two group 24 with 200 watt solar run furnace and tv. I will switch to the 12volt. I will mostly be using fridge, tv, furnace. Boondockin 50% of time.
Again thank you!

Not sure how to put it to hours - but one tank will do most of a season for me (we probably camped 10 times last yr, anywhere from 2-5 nights). I added a 2nd tank onto the front of the hitch, just so I don't ever run out. I did once, thankfully at the end of a trip so was able to switch fridge to battery for the ride home. 
2wolves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:36pm
Question. How many hours are you guys getting out of a 20 gallon tank? Also will my two group 24 with 200 watt solar run furnace and tv. I will switch to the 12volt. I will mostly be using fridge, tv, furnace. Boondockin 50% of time.
Again thank you!
2022 196
2021 Chevy Tahoe
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
Yep, use 'em till they die, then replace w/ 6V.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>