R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Wiring in Walls/Ceiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Wiring in Walls/Ceiling
    Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 11:25pm
Hey all.
New owner of a 2019 gulfstream rk199. My intention was to get a pod but sitjation being what it is (work is paying for half the cost of the camper) I got the gulfstream. No problem though as so far the GS is great.

One thing that wasn't an option for me with this unit was an integrated sound system with the TV. I've added a 32" TV on a pedestal mount that is very secure and folds/pivots in any direction needed.
What I'd like to do is add small surface mount speakers high on the wall near the ceiling in a couple of places. The problem is getting the speaker cable to those spots. It almost seems as if it would be easiest to go under the camper with the cable in conduit then up the wall on the inside of a cabinet than going across the ceiling and down the walls.

All other aspects of the sound system will be a breeze but I'm not seeing a viable way to run cables in the walls. Any ideas or insights would be appreciated. The walls in my RK are very similar to a pod if it helps.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:48am
Yep, getting inside the walls and ceiling is going to be a problem. Mounting the speakers on or next to cabinets and running the wires through those is going to be a lot easier. One other thought, how about a sound bar over or under the TV? The inside of these trailers is so small that that might work fine in this case. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
Is there not a way to output the sound from the TV to the sound system? Do you not already have speakers for the sound system in the Gulfstream?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
seantx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:15pm
Yes. Sound output from the TV to an audio source isn't a problem. HDMI, RCA or optical - the TV has them. However there is no existing sound system. Even the sound system wiring isn't a problem, just getting wires from the head unit to the speakers.

Edited to add:
I've seen your threads, StephenH. If you have no ideas then I'm in trouble.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:58am
"No existing sound system"? odd.. but, is what it is. I would go with a good soundbar for the TV, and a portable bluetooth speaker(s) for music wherever I might want or need it.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:51am
What specific model line of Gulfstream and specific model number is it? I was on the Gulfstream web site and can't find an RK199. It may help in finding a solution.
Edit:
I did see an Ameri-Lite 199RK. Is this the model?
Edit:
Features include "CD/DVD Blue Tooth Stereo w/Inside & Outside Speakers." What is not mentioned is brand. If you can remove it, you may find inputs on the back side to plug in the sound output from the television if it is located near enough to do so. Also, given that the Ameri-Lite uses Fiberglass insulation, it may be feasible to run wires as you wouldn't be trying to force them through foam insulation. The Ameri-Lite is wood frame construction, not aluminum frame as in our R-Pods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:46am
Being a Luddite, I'm not really sure, but aren't there some pretty nice blue tooth speakers available that you can use?  

We don't have a television in our Pod or any kind of radio/stereo, but we do use our laptops for movies and music.   When we want better sound, we use our little portable blue tooth speaker.  You can get high end Bose or decent quality off brands for under $30.  Those little speakers provide pretty much all the sound that will fit into the 600 or so cu. ft. of a pod, unless you want to be an early candidate for the Costco Hearing Aid Center, that is.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 4:01pm
The other option would be to use surface mount wiring channel. Strategically located, it might also look like part of the design. Something like this:

It can be obtained in different profiles, sizes, and even colors. I've used the stuff in offices that were not pre-wired for internet. We placed some of it along a baseboard so it looked just like regular trim.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:28pm
And the advantage of surface mount conduit is that it's also available at the big box stores.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
seantx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
Correction. It is a 2019 Gulf Stream Kingsport Super Lite 199RK

https://www.funtownrvworld.com/inv/2019-Gulf-Stream-Kingsport-Super-Lite-199RK-Cleburne-TX-147168/

Not exactly what I wanted but I must say after spending the last 11 days in it, no complaints so far. Some of the aspects of the build quality concern me so we'll see how it holds up over time. 

I have several Bluetooth speakers including one I built using an ammo can. The built-in head unit with AV in, Bluetooth and mounted speakers would be something I would use a lot. A good portion of my camping will be a job sites and not someplace where I'll be enjoying the outdoors. 

Originally posted by StephenH

What specific model line of Gulfstream and specific model number is it? I was on the Gulfstream web site and can't find an RK199. It may help in finding a solution.
Edit:
I did see an Ameri-Lite 199RK. Is this the model?
Edit:
Features include "CD/DVD Blue Tooth Stereo w/Inside & Outside Speakers." What is not mentioned is brand. If you can remove it, you may find inputs on the back side to plug in the sound output from the television if it is located near enough to do so. Also, given that the Ameri-Lite uses Fiberglass insulation, it may be feasible to run wires as you wouldn't be trying to force them through foam insulation. The Ameri-Lite is wood frame construction, not aluminum frame as in our R-Pods.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>