R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew TV - 2019 Tahoe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New TV - 2019 Tahoe
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 5:25pm
We upgraded our tow vehicle.  We traded our 2010 Highlander for a 2019 Tahoe.  We loved the Highlander.  It towed Wood River Pod (179 HR) great with the e2 WD hitch.  It was tough with the v6 and our mountains here in Idaho and Montana.  It did it, but I felt like I was always kicking it with spurs.  I think the V8 Tahoe and no more unibody frame will make a huge difference. 

Here lies the problem at hand.  Today I went to adjust the e2 (trunnion 6,000) hitch.  With the Highlander we had the shank that came standard with the e2 in the up position to get to our coupler/ball height at 20ish inches.  I turned the shank downward and could only get the ball down to 25ish inches with the lowest holes.  I need to drop another 5 inches.  What length downward shank do I need?  Frankly I've tried watching videos on etrailer and youtube, but it's not creating easy math for me. 

My current shank is this.  The arm that goes into the receiver is 12 inches and the rise or down arm is 8.5 inches.  What length drop do I need to add another 5 inches of drop from this shank?

Does anyone tow an rpod with a Tahoe?  What have you done?  Or how do I figure how much drop I need?  Do I need this?

Thanks for the help.
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:31pm
You might want to contact Fastway with that question.  https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/contact
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:40pm
Thanks Stephen.  I went to the Equalizer website after some more browsing.  They have a shank selection tool where you put in the measurements (ball, receiver, coupler) and it'll provide you with the right shank.  The tool came back with the one pictured above.  Prime from Amazon.  It'll be here Wednesday.  When I get it hooked up, I'll send along some pictures of the new setup and TV.  I'm really excited. 
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
Great! I would like to to upgrade our TV as well, but the budget dictates waitinga while as we just dropped almost 3K on repairs between the leak, the brakes, the bearings, and the new axle.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:56pm
How freaking tall is the Tahoe? Even with our F-150, which I think is relatively tall, does not need that much drop. The bottom of the receiver on the F-150 is about 20" AGL, and we have the ball mounted in the bottom holes of the stock receiver head.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:01pm
You've had a a string of unfortunate events.  The accident, needing to by a new rig on the road to limp the pod home, repair of the pod, and now a re-repair the pod.  New TV would not have been in the cards if I had gone though what you did.  By the way, how is your father doing?

My wife was certain she was going to hate the Tahoe driving around town.  But she loves it.  I have to admit, it's very comfy.  Also, it gets great gas mileage.  When we drove home from Boise after picking it up, I was amazed how good the mileage was.  At 70ish it dropped down to V4 and was getting just over 30 on the flat straight runs.  I don't expect anywhere near that while towing, but it'll be nice to have the extra power and stiffer suspension.  

I'll send along pics when its all set up.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:59pm
Thank you for asking. My dad is doing better. He is pretty stable now. He had a skin cancer removed from his nose a few days ago and needs another one removed from the top of his head. He is using a walker now because he still isn't the most steady walking. He does not like it but he did trip with it and fell, so even a walker does not prevent all falls. We had a good talk with my mom today and dad mostly listened. I'm glad we went down there over Christmas. Ruth has her upcoming knee replacement and I will likely have surgery on my left thumb (CMC joint arthritis) in March. These will limit our travels probably until late spring. Even then, our trips will likely be more local this year.

It will be interesting to hear how the Tahoe does when towing. 30 mpg in a pickup truck is great, even if it is only on the flatlands. I remember when our daughter had a Dodge Ram and she said she was only getting around 13 mpg and that was without towing anything.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:14am
I have been considering a Tahoe as well. Please keep us posted as to your experience with it. TIA
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by StephenH

It will be interesting to hear how the Tahoe does when towing. 30 mpg in a pickup truck is great, even if it is only on the flatlands. I remember when our daughter had a Dodge Ram and she said she was only getting around 13 mpg and that was without towing anything.
I think the Tahoe is an SUV?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
Glue Guy, the top of the receiver is 24, so the bottom is 22.  Do you use a e2 trunnion or the round bars.  That may make a difference.  Mine looks like this.

Top of my coupler on my pod is 20ish inches from the ground.  So I need my ball top at 20 inches.  The head unit on the e2 is 5 inches +/- and the ball is a 2 5/16.  With the stock shank the lowest hole on the head in the lowest position on the shank, it only got the top of ball down to 25.  If I was not using a WD head, I would not have to drop that low to get top of ball to 20.  But with the WD head on the e2, I have to account for lots of room (5 inches) under the ball deck.  Hence this shank.  https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/shanks/specialty-shank-2-shank-12-long-x-9-drop-13-rise 

Glue Guy, if you are coming up with an idea I've overlooked, I'm all ears.  I trust your math implicitly on the tires.  The only area that I'm not 100% on is the top of coupler height.  We've had good snow here in Idaho this year.  I work hard to keep the pod clear and the area in front.  I dug down into the snow and ice to get to ground level, but my side yard is loose stone/gravel.  My 2017 green 179 HR with risers is coming out at 19.5 for top of coupler height.  It could be higher, but not much more.

As always, I thank everyone's input and problem solving.  I truly do appreciate this forum and thank all of you that keep it running so smoothly.  Thank you!
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>