Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:58pm

I’m a retired Marine who manages and edits an online national defense journal. I currently reside in the Tampa Bay area. Because my job lets me work from wherever I want (as long as I have Internet) I decided to purchase a travel trailer and spend as much time on the road as I can. I will be traveling with my two dogs. I plan on purchasing one this summer / fall and have pretty much decided on an R-Pod (the 179 or 195 floor-plans seem to work for me). Have looked at many, many options but since I want to keep my 2015 Tacoma 4x4 (it has the tow package) my search eventually led me to R-Pod land. Before I pull the final plug on this adventure, I’m researching my options for full-time Internet. I really need it 24/7 and the research seems daunting at times (campground WiFi, boosters, WiFi hot spots off cellular service, and on and on). I would like to do a lot of boon-docking when I'm out west. Any recommendations along this line would be appreciated. My current carrier is Verizon. All that said, looking forward to joining the R-Pod community. I hope to be on the road late fall to early 2020.

podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:53pm
Here in the west, you may find that many areas where you might be boondocking may not have cell service. Cell service is often limited to cities, towns and major highways. Sounds like a fun adventure. Happy Trails.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 11:57pm
Yes, thanks. I gathered as much so far. Boon-docking  really isn't number one on the priority list, Internet is. B-D would be a nice to have / do thing if an area has cell and seems worth the stay. Even so, it seems to be complicated even in areas of great cell service. That, or I am making it more complicated than it needs to be. On other R-Pod issues I have found John Marucci's YouTube videos of great value. They kind of sold me on the R-Pod over the Winnie Drop when I could not decide between the two.
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:08am
You are going to want a cell antenna/booster. Verizon sells their version with a rubber duck antenna but it actually works quite well. Wilson electronics makes several models and an exterior antenna is always better. Just make sure it operates on the current frequency Verizon is currently using( and that can change with each new generation of "G").

Oh, and if you are headed out West, consider a Hood River Edition R-Pod, 15" rims and 3.5" risers(lift above axle) for much needed ground clearance.
2016 R-Pod 176T
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:40am
Thank you.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:23am
Welcome Dave,

You may find it difficult to locate a HRE in FL, any pod without risers and 15" wheels can be modified, all the new pods have 15" tires.

As far as WIFI, several options available, major issue will be lack of service. You may need to stay out of those areas.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:50am
Thanks, a 195 would do. I haven't contacted a dealer yet, but was assuming I could order a HRE 179, not find one as a walk-in.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:54am
You cannot "order" an HRE. You live east of the Mississippi.. They are manufactured and sold in the west,not the east. Only FR knows why. To purchase an HRE, you will have to work with a western dealer.. BUT.. other then he knobby tires and some stickers, there isn't enough difference to warrant it. And anything from the HRE package can be added later to an eastern pod.

WiFi and cell coverage is a crap shoot. My wife can also work from anywhere she has good internet, I am retired army.. we have experimented pretty strongly over the last couple years. With a wifi booster, a cell booster, and a verizon air card, we still find lots and lots of places with no, to not good enough, coverage.
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:07am
Thanks. Yes, the more I research on mobile Internet and talk to more and more people the more I get answers like yours - 'crap shoot'. I'm leaning towards your 'solution' and maybe adding a second carrier as a backup / redundancy - if I can afford it. Thanks for answering the HRE thing - most important to me is the floor-plan and as long as I am in the ballpark I'll make do.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:09am
There is no difference in the floor plans.. a 195 is a 195, regardless of which plant builds it. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>