R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed30/50A Lockout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30/50A Lockout
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 3:51pm
I tried to keep this question private by attempting to write to David directly, but it looks like the user name was changed to "Guest" and I was summarily informed that I am not allowed to send "Guest" a PM.

So in the absence of any other alternative I will raise the issue here.

I was following the thread 30A vs. 50A and was beginning to understand that there was more than just a dead short that could pose a hazard with undersized conductors connected to a 50A outlet; that other impedance issues could also present a fire hazard.  I was looking forward to a better understanding of those other impedance issues, when someone complained [I forget who and if I go back and look, I may have to start this post over, and it doesn't really matter anyway] that the issue had become the "beating of a dead horse."  I didn't think anything of it, in a subsequent post and thought the thought the thread would just carry on, even posting on the topic and making a silly comment about a horse recipe.  

When I went back later in the day to see what was developing, I was surprised to see it locked.  I don't know whether there were complaints about the thread to the administration or if someone had gotten bored with it.  But shutting down a post in this fashion when it is still very active is not really fair to the membership. I realize it is the right of the owners to not only lock out anything they choose, indeed limit participation in any manner they prefer, but it is not, perhaps, the best way to encourage participation.

This board serves a really useful purpose for all rPod users, but it takes some sorting through to find the little jewels of information that actually are fact based.  Quite frankly, there is a tremendous amount of anecdotal opinion offered in solution to issues that involve engineering and physics issues.  I've probably offered such opinions myself.  But those opinions are not always soundly based in fact.  There are several members who appear to be active or retired engineers who have made very helpful contributions based upon engineering calculations and the application of principles of physics.  I have found those contributors posts to be especially helpful, especially in understanding the physics and geometry of WDH's, electrical functions, solar power, etc.  I have learned a great deal from them and truly thank them for taking their time to post.

But without any apparent reason except, possibly the complaint about the "dead horse," one of these topics was summarily shut down.  I sincerely hope that this does not portend things to come.  Such summary lockouts will not promote detailed technical discussion that has been one of the principle reasons for following and participating in this forum.  It is that technically supported discussion that sets this site apart from all the internet clutter that inundates us every day with unfounded opinions and alternate "facts."  I hope you reconsider locking out such discussions in the future.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:15pm
I locked it. IMHO, it was turning into an argument. It's up there with "fridge on propane" or "tire pressure and capacity" when towing etc.. No side will ever win or prove they are right, or admit defeat. The important information needed for an owner to decide if they want to use a dog bone or adapter had been covered. I will review my decision when I have time to read the whole thread through again.

David has left the administrative side of the forum, and as far as I know, the forum completely. After +8 years of fighting the same people, over the same crap, on a daily basis, he finally had enough. I hate it for him, and us. But it is what it is and I certainly understand and support his decision.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:17pm
I'm really sorry to read that David has left. I can understand, but still will miss him.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:38pm
+1 to SH, David was a real supporter and a patient guy.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:46pm
furpod, this was not good for the forum.  No one is forced to read any topic, much less comment on it.  For those taking the time to post on the theme, there were still important issues to be resolved.  For those that were losing patience and arguing about the issues, all they had to do was leave it be and let others continue the discussion.  If they couldn't exercise that modicum of restraint, then why should those who were still benefitting from the discussion be locked out?  As I stated above, I was beginning to understand the other forms of impedance when you shut it all down and now, I still have open questions.

We have some posters who have very strong feelings about the correctness of their posts and their opinions, whether factually correct or not.  For myself, I try to be respectful of others and not take the argument bate, instead sticking to the topic and offering other views -- sometimes making a crumby joke instead.  If you use arguments as the criterion for shutting down a thread, you are inviting people who hold very strong opinions to use their argumentative nature to shut down informative discussions.  That is not in the best interest of the forum nor of its members.  Perhaps a better approach would be to encourage those who are argumentative to tone it down a bit if it's truly getting out of control.  

As I stated above, I hope you reconsider this very significant change in the philosophy of monitoring the board.  

I join the others above in expressing my sadness to see David leave the board.  He did an outstanding job and it shows in the board's success.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:53pm
Lostagain,

Why not start a new post with your question? Better than questioning a moderator. Maybe the new issue might not be a discussion that was held 5 months ago, that was answered with advice. Just a thought.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm
It is not the first time a thread has been closed, It isn't mine or anyone else's plan to change how the forum is run. Occasionally, it has happened.
I didn't get some kind of joy out of it or anything like that. In fact, to tell you the truth, since becoming a moderator, my happiness here has gone downhill.
I don't intend to make a point or habit of explaining myself either, but, as I said above, the question about what outlets where available was answered, and the ongoing "discussion" of how to handle it when there was a problem, actually constitutes the dreaded, and much maligned, "thread drift."
If the OP wanted to know all our opinions about connectors and adapters.. that's fodder for a new thread.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:21pm
Don't let it get you down, mods. I've been moderating a large forum (250k+ members) for a long time (over 10 years) and I've been through the whole range of emotions. I just concentrate on helping those who really want to be helped; the rest can be dealt with swiftly.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
A few thoughts, not in any particular order:

I'm really sorry to hear that David felt the need to leave, and that he's gone!

I don't have a problem with the same topics coming up over and over again, even if I know the discussion will drift off into the same old debate over whether A or B is the better option.  There are usually some new people involved, and despite the Search feature of the forum, sometimes there's some new info or perspective.  (Usually not, but I find it very easy to just quit reading a thread if it gets too... whatever.)

I tend to think that short of profanity, name calling, or some other perversion, closing a thread is generally not a good idea. I respect the moderators' right and responsibilty to make such decisions though.

It would be nice if instead of piling on "facts", that we'd understand that regardless of the facts anyone presents, other people are going to do or not do whatever it is anyway and not have any ill will about it.  On the other hand, I'm not sure why anyone finds offense with a thread they think has gone on too long.

What bothers me the most is that whatever's going on is driving good people away.  This is what we should be thinking about, talking about, and doing something about. Despite my feelings, maybe cutting off more threads that have run their productive course would be a good idea, I don't know.  This has been a very valuable forum for me; there are too many good, smart people here -- not to mention the good people who come here looking for help.  We need to be careful or we could lose this place.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm
Discuss away... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>