R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hitch or Tongue mod to carry dirt bike?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch or Tongue mod to carry dirt bike?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
How short is short? Our F-150 has the "short" 6.5' bed, and I'm able to drive our ATV into the back and even close the tailgate. How long is your bike?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:16am
Taco short beds are only about 5 ft I think. You might be able to add a short hitch extension, which combined with the length added by a wdh could provide enough clearance to tow with the tailgate down. The extensions reduce the towing capacity of the truck because they increase the lever arm on the receiver so you would have to look into that. Towing with the tailgate down would make it more difficult to connect and disconnect the rig but it might be doable. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:44am
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:58am
All the Tacomas we have had all had the 6' bed, so I am ignorant on the 5' issues.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:08am
+1 to Our Pod I was going to suggest the same option as to installing a hitch on the front of the tow vehicle and carry the motor bike that way.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
Colorado_Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colorado_Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:24pm
Yep, that's correct for the Tacoma short bed -- a measly 5 ft, and the wheel well humps are almost at the front corners. I like the outta the box ideas...bike on front of TV is a definite possibility although blocking headlights kinda sucks.

I'll look into my options and let you guys know what I figure out...
Thanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 3:50pm
Please not put a 400lb (or 300 or whatever) bike on the rear of an rpod, you will void the FR warranty, end up with too low a tongue weight, and/or bend the trailer frame, which is not meant to carry that much weight. Put the bike in the truck bed instead (being sure that you have a heavy enough tow vehicle for that).
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12