R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedadding a solar panel ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding a solar panel ?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:56pm
I have a zamp 80 watt portable.  The controller is a 10 amp controller.  At 80 watts i should get max 4.6 amps of charging.  My questions is if i can add another 80 watt panel and use the same controller i have now ?   does it have to be a zamp panel or any brand?  if possible, would you just direct wire to the controller and trash the connectors or would i need a Y connection?

Thanks Confused
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 5:04pm
If you hook up the second panel in parallel, that controller "should" work, as solar panels rarely put out more than about 70-80% of what they are rated at. 

Another option would be to connect them in series and use an MPPT controller to run the system.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:16am
GlueGuy is right, solar modules generally max out at about 80% of rated power. But the power derate comes as reduced voltage as the modules heat up in the sun, the current stays about the same. 

That's why modules designed for 12V battery charging are around 17V max power, way higher than you ever want or need for a 12V battery. Are the solar manufacturers cheating you by rating their products this way? Not intentionally, its just that when the flash test them at the factory they do it at room temperature because there's not time to let them heat up to a more normal operating temp.

So if you keep it clean and aim it at the sun you can and probably often will get that 4.6A out of your 80W module. Two of those will be over 9A which is pushing a 10A rated controller. So I'd suggest just leaving your existing Zamp kit as is and getting another 80W module and controller to add on. 

You can get a 20A PWM charge controller and 80W module combo for around $100-$120 on Amazon. IMHO Zamp's prices are crazy. Or get another size module/controller if you want. It doesn't matter which brand or size of module. As long as its max power voltage rating is about the same as your Zamp one you can operate them in parallel no problem. Read the comments and reviews of course so you can avoid the junk...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply