R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh water Holding tank ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh water Holding tank ????
    Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm
Yep,  More questions.

Since my 180 was previously owned I wanted to flush all the tanks.   I  some of the septic cleaners to bot the black with enough water that The bottom of the tank is covered and sloshing around. I also put some in the gray tank and filled it up and let it set for a week or so then drained gray and refilled with clean fresh water completely 3 times so I am satisfied they are clean.

I added bleach to the fresh water  and filled it and let it sit for  a week or so.  I have now filled and flushed it 3 times also and am satisfied it is clean.

My question is how do you drain the fresh tank?

It has a PVC fitting on the bottom of the tank but removing it does nothing.   I would think the water would pour out...

Is it suppose to drain out there and mine is just plugged up.  The owners manual mentions a petcock but there is no petcock. it appears to be just an open line but no water  comes out..
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:22am
Unfortunately I have to clarify a few things. You stated you filled the fresh water tank with water and bleach then flushed it 3 times. How did you flush it? The only way would be to use your water pump turn on the faucet and let 30 gallons of the fresh water run through the lines and then into the gray tank then dump that tank. Or as stated drain the fresh water tank which apparently doesn’t drain. The fresh water tank is the white or opaque tank ahead of the axle or the very most forward tank. It has a screw cap from a small protrusion hanging down most easily reached from the drivers or slide side on the 180. Using a flashlight shine it in the tank as you will be able to see the water level using that method. If there is water in it removing that single screw cap water should drain via gravity. I do not know the drain design but I am sure other members will comment on various ways to unplug it. Often small plastic debris or other foreign objects can be in the tank. Owners most often see it in the filter on the water pump.
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Lear111

Unfortunately I have to clarify a few things. You stated you filled the fresh water tank with water and bleach then flushed it 3 times. How did you flush it? The only way would be to use your water pump turn on the faucet and let 30 gallons of the fresh water run through the lines and then into the gray tank then dump that tank. Or as stated drain the fresh water tank which apparently doesn’t drain. The fresh water tank is the white or opaque tank ahead of the axle or the very most forward tank. It has a screw cap from a small protrusion hanging down most easily reached from the drivers or slide side on the 180. Using a flashlight shine it in the tank as you will be able to see the water level using that method. If there is water in it removing that single screw cap water should drain via gravity. I do not know the drain design but I am sure other members will comment on various ways to unplug it. Often small plastic debris or other foreign objects can be in the tank. Owners most often see it in the filter on the water pump.

Your are correct with all the above.   I emptied   the gray then ran the sink and shower till they were full again  then emptied it again. Running all of the bleach water in the fresh to the gray then out then two more cycles of fresh through the gray and emptied.

The fresh has been refilled as I am connected to my house.  I can see water in the tank.  But when I remove the cap nothing comes out.    I wasn't sure if it was suppose to or if it is blocked.   I didn't want to go poking things up there  and risk damaging something without asking.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:58am
Go ahead and gently insert the tip of a screwdriver or something up in there after removing the cap, that should dislodge whatever is blocking the drain. Worked for me. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:08am
Thank you for clarifying and getting back to us. That is a very important aspect and learning tool of this forum. Now you said you are connected to your house are you filling the fresh water tank via the hose. There is no connection it has a cap that is removed then the hose placed in the filler area and when full an overflow vent will begin spurting water out. If all of that is correct disconnect all water sources and turn on your water pump and open a faucet. Give it a minute to prime and the water pump will take water from the fresh water tank and eventually empty it. If this works fill it for a a few minutes then open that screw cap directly under the opaque tank. If nothing comes out I would suspect as you do it is plugged. I doubt there is a screen in it as one purpose is any debris to drain also. I will leave it up to your discretion on how to unplug it but I would probe it with a screwdriver.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
Just to be sure that you have found the fresh water tank drain.  Here's a photo of it on my 180.

I just unscrew the petcock assembly from the tank by hand.  It drains too slow if I just open the valve. No pliers or wrenches.

Then replace it by hand when done draining.  I need to lower the tongue way down...to tilt the front of the tank down...to completely drain the tank.

If no water comes out when you remove this fitting, The hole is plugged or there is no water in the tank.  Did you try lowering the front of the trailer?

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:22pm
He states that he has the hose hooked up to the house...is it hooked up to the city water connection and the check valve has failed and filled the fresh water tank too?  This happened to me.

otherwise, just unscrew the cap on the bottom of the tank.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:34pm
Tearless,

There is nothing that stops the fresh water tank from draining. Unless the drain itself is plugged. I added a valve vice the PVC cap. I don't do the bleach routine, I have chlorinated water.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:36pm
I was sort of nicely hinting at that and yes if his city water is filling the fresh water tank the water pump check valve has failed. There might be two problems. Hopefully it will get resolved with all the excellent input. On the 2017 180 it is a screw cap drain. I added a drain valve to cleanly drain mine the new petcock is a good idea but reportedly drains slowly. The plumbing and electrical issues often need very specific details. Thanks everyone.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:52pm
Even with chlorinated city water, it is still a good idea to sanitize the tank and water system. The concentration of chlorine in the sanitizing treatment is somewhat higher than what is in tap water and will be more effective. That is also why it is a good idea to flush the system afterward.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>